Anti-social behaviour causes two hour delay on Mayo train

Rate this topic

They need a proper Transport police force, and with powers to simply put people off trains too, irrespective of whether they're near their destination or not, or whether it's the last train of the night!

Human nature always dictates that unless people know there are very severely unpleasant consequences for bad behaviour, they will do it. You wouldn't argue with a bouncer in a Russian night club. The trains and trams (and buses) need people on board who will force anti-social elements to comply with civilised behaviour and obey the law, or else throw them off.

I was on an up Cork service one night about eight years ago, and there was one man acting the maggot in the carriage I was in. Two other (large male) passengers made him go out and sit in the end vestibule, and told him to stay there or they would physically put him out at the next stop. They looked like they meant business, that was clear!

The troublemaker behaved himself from then on.....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DiveController said:

The Gardai were called and I have no idea why the train needed to be delayed more than 5 minutes beyond their arrival? What's wrong with this picture? 

As I was directly involved with this episode-there was no anti social behaviour on this occasion,

I will not go into any more details on a public forum.

Thank you. 

• Informative 1

On 21/10/2021 at 3:17 AM, ttc0169 said:

As I was directly involved with this episode-there was no anti social behaviour on this occasion,

I will not go into any more details on a public forum.

Thank you. 

Incorrectly reported by the Western People then I guess. Just not sure why a train needs to be delayed for 2 hours and the Gardai called. Another delay of 50 minutes during the Portarlington incident. Seems to me that his should be dealt with off the train, simply not acceptable to delay scores of other passengers who have things to do.

On an almost daily/bi-daily basis I (eventually) pass an accident on the freeway where the G0b$h!t3 who could not wait three seconds to allow some other road user change lanes now has hours to spend sorting out the carnage that ensues, along with the hundreds of other road users who are inconvenienced by this completely unnecessary antisocial attitude to everyone else going about their business. 

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 1

Strike action by staff threatened. Can't say I blame them. 

It's an open secret Dublin Cork services are a free distribution network for the kinds of substances that often fuel bad behaviour.

It's a wider societal issue too, low level maggot acting has been tolerated and normalised for far too long now, the ne'er do wells are constantly testing the boundaries as to what they can get away with. 

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/irish-rail-staff-speak-out-i-m-sick-of-seeing-heroin-being-sorted-out-at-the-tables-1.4713482

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Mike 84C said:

Those are some eye opening interviews with train staff. I wonder if similar things happen here in UK that do not get reported on?  

In the days when I was still using trains on the Big Island, "events" were fairly regular, especially in the evenings and at weekends. It was my practice to consult calendars of sports fixtures for some guidance on the risks, but mistakes could still happen. On a few occasions, coppers did eventually intervene, but always "locals" from wherever we happened to be. With the advent of mobile phones, it should be a lot easier to arrange interventions - in the old days, you had to rely on the train staff to do it, and their general policy seemed to be to avoid escalating matters by intervening.

Despite living near a WCML station for forty years, I've never seen a BTP officer on a train - in fact, I've only ever seen two, and they seemed to be in the station simply because a foreign dignitary was arriving to see his son at a nearby helicopter training establishment.

• Like 2