British locos and stock that can be disguised as Irish

Rate this topic

Westcorkrailway

25 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

What’s an ICR?

I Can't Remember.

33 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

With or without the roof?  Still I suppose that if he burrowed down into the peat he'd keep warm?

Might not even need a ticket - would they spot one more old sod?

• Funny 3

• 7 months later...
3 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

I’m not sure if the loco itself is similar to anything…I wonder could the wheel arrangement be changed for something like 461.

Perhaps with a different trailing wheel...?

Great Southern Railway class 'I3' 0-6-2T No. GSR 673 at Bray circa 1930s. -  Lens of Sutton Association Irish Railways Part 1

Loco itself doesn't matter too much to me, I am trying to find things I can 3d print ;) 

Edited by J-Mo Arts
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, J-Mo Arts said:

Perhaps with a different trailing wheel...?

Great Southern Railway class 'I3' 0-6-2T No. GSR 673 at Bray circa 1930s. -  Lens of Sutton Association Irish Railways Part 1

Loco itself doesn't matter too much to me, I am trying to find things I can 3d print ;) 

Really it’s a case of “can it fit” the N2 looks like it’s more pronounced in height then 673….and that space could be used by the manufacture for essential parts 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

The cab on that yoke is so very distinctly LNER that i doubt it to be honest. I would imagine that to convert it to the nearest equivalent in Ireland would require so much surgery that a new 3D print or scratchbuild would actually be easier.

Are there any things on a similar chassis then? I've got a 3D printer and can do the CAD. I have been inspired by the exhibition at Cultra and the Hattons coaches... Doesn't have to have made it to CIE though!

65mm/16'3" coupled wheelbase, 5'6" driver diameter, 24' overall wheelbase and 3'6" trailing wheel diameter.

5 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

GSR 670 Class 0-6-2T drawings via @KMCE

54D2D911-B7D3-4D4D-9FE7-D973ED173D98.thumb.jpeg.1b12953e9d933d4fa3a81e3a638c0277.jpeg

Thanks a lot for those! They'll be very useful. I don't suppose you'd know the width dimensions or have a front view? Might be being cheeky now :P 

12 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

As far as that chassis is concerned, J-Mo, I reckon it would suit that GSR tank loco more than well enough. If you were able to do a 3D print if you got the drawings, it would be very well worth looking into.

I was thinking more along the lines of what would be involved converting the body of that LNER loco.

No worries, and I think the chassis is close enough for this to be a goer. I'll log progress on my workbench. 

Thanks both!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, J-Mo Arts said:

Thanks a lot for those! They'll be very useful. I don't suppose you'd know the width dimensions or have a front view? Might be being cheeky now :P 

No worries, and I think the chassis is close enough for this to be a goer. I'll log progress on my workbench. 

Thanks both!

Unfortunatly that’s the full drawing. You’ll have to guesstimate 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, J-Mo Arts said:

Thanks both!

This promises to be a good one! Looking forward to seeing how it progresses. I've a small pot of GSR grey paint here if you want it in that livery, but being suburban locos, they also carried the lined green (same as Hatton's dark green coaches) livery from 1948 until scrapped.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

This promises to be a good one! Looking forward to seeing how it progresses. I've a small pot of GSR grey paint here if you want it in that livery, but being suburban locos, they also carried the lined green (same as Hatton's dark green coaches) livery from 1948 until scrapped.

I once found a rattle can that was pretty Damn near GSR grey (according to the 00 works gospel) I have to find out what it was…as I’ve since lost all my rattle cans to a spring clean

98845993-F850-4A43-BFBD-6043264CE059.thumb.jpeg.4d5ba13b216d9c1a940a34fc6515ebe0.jpeg

Now, the GNR was still running six-wheelers in occasional services up until 1948/49. Having then scrapped all their own built "in house" indigenous passenger carriages, in 1951 they bought a small quantity of ex-DNGR six-wheelers, Wolverton built and clearly sturdy vehicles, which ran in excursion trains up until about 1955/56. These vehicles retained their 'plum & cream' DNGR' (former LNWR livery) with new GNR running numbers.

Having studied the pictures of the Hattons' models from their first introduction, I personally think that with their 'generic' Brexitland profile they could be easily repainted to represent DNGR vehicles.

I have considered the Hatton's products for my own GNR interests, but I'm not doing pre-1960. So endeth my tombe.....    

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Lambeg man said:

Now, the GNR was still running six-wheelers in occasional services up until 1948/49. Having then scrapped all their own built "in house" indigenous passenger carriages, in 1951 they bought a small quantity of ex-DNGR six-wheelers, Wolverton built and clearly sturdy vehicles, which ran in excursion trains up until about 1955/56. These vehicles retained their 'plum & cream' DNGR' (former LNWR livery) with new GNR running numbers.

Having studied the pictures of the Hattons' models from their first introduction, I personally think that with their 'generic' Brexitland profile they could be easily repainted to represent DNGR vehicles.

I have considered the Hatton's products for my own GNR interests, but I'm not doing pre-1960. So endeth my tombe.....    

They're nothing like a GNR design - however, if you ignore different panelling, they're certainly much more appropriate to a DNGR design that GNR! Yes, in the right livery (and in this case, suitably weathered!)......

• 11 months later...
46 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

The accurascale 0 gauge Ruston 88ds is added to this list. Any other new models that fall into here? 

The was some speculation over on the Accurascale forum on RM Web as to whether we'll see an Irish version of the Ruston 88DS and one of the members over there said he was speaking to Accurascale at GETS over the weekend and the body of the Irish version is wider, not just the chassis. Is this the case does any one know?

Edited by Flying Snail

48 minutes ago, Flying Snail said:

The was some speculation over on the Accurascale forum on RM Web as to whether we'll see an Irish version of the Ruston 88DS and one of the members over there said he was speaking to Accurascale at GETS over the weekend and the body of the Irish version is wider, not just the chassis. Is this the case does any one know?

The lower section of the body (we will say the running board area) is slightly wider then the 4’8 counterpart. However if somone on this forum was going to convert one to CSE livery, I don’t think they will mind the slight difference 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, LNERW1 said:

This is either going to be met with begrudging agreement or crucifixion, but could a class 67/68 be repainted to a rough approximation of a 201?

It’s been done….however most people do it as a “what if” rather then a full on model….

take a look at this album on flicker 🙂

Railways in Ireland

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, LNERW1 said:

This is either going to be met with begrudging agreement or crucifixion, but could a class 67/68 be repainted to a rough approximation of a 201?

If you have any other points you're thinking of making, you really ought to post them before the 29th of March.

It'll be hard to type with your hands nailed to a plank.

• Funny 1

19 minutes ago, Broithe said:

If you have any other points you're thinking of making, you really ought to post them before the 29th of March.

It'll be hard to type with your hands nailed to a plank.

I’m, erm, atheist? Actually, that’ll probably sink me in even deeper s**t… umm… give me till the 28th to find an excuse.

• Funny 2

37 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

It’s been done….however most people do it as a “what if” rather then a full on model….

take a look at this album on flicker 🙂

Railways in Ireland

A couple of really interesting photoshops in there- one thing that particularly interests me is the 66’s in IÉ and NIR livery. Considering the 66’s have been exported to other countries, and with Ireland’s strong attachment to American traction, I think re-gauged 66s are not a total impossibility on Irish metals someday. It won’t happen, but not because it can’t. As a matter of fact re-gauging has fascinated me for ages. I think re-gauging the older UK locos and stock for IÉ and NIR use would be a great way to keep the classics (37s, 43s) around, while also making room for their replacements. It was done with the Jinties, and diesel and electric locos are arguably just as easy to regauge- they don’t have outside cylinders getting in the way. I’ll keep the rest of my opinions on this in a different topic, but just one more thing- I have seen a video of something that is either a HST or an XPT being tested in a South or Central American country- any info on that either? (In another topic please)