British locos and stock that can be disguised as Irish

Rate this topic

Westcorkrailway

On 12/2/2024 at 11:35 AM, LNERW1 said:

This is either going to be met with begrudging agreement or crucifixion, but could a class 67/68 be repainted to a rough approximation of a 201?

Edit: I meant 65 or 67, not 68. The 68s are those weird looking ones with the melted-looking front end operated by DRS and TPE.

4 hours ago, Mayner said:

One might have been are the Blue Pullman trains.

CIE are supposed to have seriously considered buying and re-gauging the Blue Pullmans during the late 60s/early 70s. 

That's a new one on me, but of a piece with other schemes that seem to have been floated in the mid-1970's. Aside from Blue Pullmans, CIE looked at re-engining the Sulzers, and I was also told by someone who would know that they looked at buying redundant Westerns from BR. I'm sure the new 071's they did go for would have seemed quite pricy given the times, but haven't they got their money's worth out of them since!

• Like 5

On 14/2/2024 at 1:46 PM, BSGSV said:

That's a new one on me, but of a piece with other schemes that seem to have been floated in the mid-1970's. Aside from Blue Pullmans, CIE looked at re-engining the Sulzers, and I was also told by someone who would know that they looked at buying redundant Westerns from BR. I'm sure the new 071's they did go for would have seemed quite pricy given the times, but haven't they got their money's worth out of them since!

Yes, the one about re-engineing the B101s was very much true. As you say, they got superb use out of the 071s - but imagine if 071-type engines had gone into the Sulzers - would they still be seen in Ballina at the front of a train of containers?

9 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Yes, the one about re-engineing the B101s was very much true. As you say, they got superb use out of the 071s - but imagine if 071-type engines had gone into the Sulzers - would they still be seen in Ballina at the front of a train of containers?

They might only have lasted up until the 1990s before being withdrawn, just as the As and Cs were at that time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Horsetan said:

They might only have lasted up until the 1990s before being withdrawn, just as the As and Cs were at that time.

Indeed - which begs the question what then - more 201s, probably.............. which would simply mean that today that whole fleet would be in use, and Ireland would have but a solitary class of locomotive. Things are unvaried enough as it is!, so thank gawd for 071s (never thought I'd say that about modern locos...!)