N Scale Ballywillan, Co Longford.

Rate this topic

Kevin Sweeney

A very impressive model and seeing it almost complete brings home the actual size of the station. I visited it in 2012 but really did not pay attention to it's overall size.

When all the other buildings are taken into account, such as the goods shed, engine shed, water tower and some others whose purpose I am not aware of, the immensity of the whole station area does seem out of place for a rural station.

Well done on bringing this model to life.

MikeO

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I've been thinking about Cavan Railway Station as a future project. I don't really have room for it, as in N scale it would be over 4 meters long but it would make a very impressive model with a big single arched bridge right in the centre. I am further tempted to take it on after watching a brilliant video made by local man Greg Meehan about the station, its history and its demise. A sad video, an ode to a lost world.

Facebook

I've been out of action for the last few days. After 7 years modelling without any accidents, I finally managed to give myself a good deep cut with a craft knife.

• Like 7
  • WOW! 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly there with Belturbet. I made the downpipes with cocktail sticks, sanded down a bit and painted with acrylic paint. This was a problem I'd been trying to solve for some time.

I made a terrible discovery, the station masters house has windows in the gables. I made the mistake of following the architects drawings I got on the planning portal, which showed no windows. The Crossdoney model is also missing one small window, which was missing on the drawings. This lesson has been taught to me twice now. Don't depend on architects drawings alone, they maybe missing important features, photos are essential.

IMG_5459.thumb.JPG.472f98ba78937c67bb2dd9eef19a3e7b.JPG

IMG_5458.thumb.JPG.5b3817e093a5c8201d7c54cdc1fa0c07.JPG

• Like 9
  • WOW! 7

13 minutes ago, Kevin Sweeney said:

Nearly there with Belturbet. I made the downpipes with cocktail sticks, sanded down a bit and painted with acrylic paint. This was a problem I'd been trying to solve for some time.

I made a terrible discovery, the station masters house has windows in the gables. I made the mistake of following the architects drawings I got on the planning portal, which showed no windows. The Crossdoney model is also missing one small window, which was missing on the drawings. This lesson has been taught to me twice now. Don't depend on architects drawings alone, they maybe missing important features, photos are essential.

IMG_5459.thumb.JPG.472f98ba78937c67bb2dd9eef19a3e7b.JPG

IMG_5458.thumb.JPG.5b3817e093a5c8201d7c54cdc1fa0c07.JPG

That’s outstanding!

Re. architects drawings - very often, even if a building was strictly built to them, during the life of the building doors or windows might get bricked up due to internal alterations, or new ones might appear where there wasn’t one for the last 40 years. So it’s still quite possible that your model WAS as you’ve made it - originally but not laterally.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Awesome work on a building I know well. You know the three categories of falsehood? Lies, damned lies, and General Arrangement Drawings! 

I project I inherited had a welded pedestal, one of the few parts that never gave much trouble - until we started to make them at a South African subsidiary - suddenly the circuit breakers there wouldn't fit into the pedestal - everything was checked and was clearly 'to the drawing', but investigations revealed that the actual original pedestals had a bend of 30 degrees, where the drawing showed one of 60 degrees.

I went to see the chap who made them in our factory and asked him why he made them like he did - "I knew it was wrong, but nobody would listen, so I just gave up and made them right. Inspection never noticed, anyway."

• Like 3

Two of the photos I took in 2012 show a window high up in each gable as mentioned by Kevin. 

To me the one on the left side seems like it could be original suggesting the other might also be original. The other window is not clearly shown.

Left side

DSCF0177.thumb.JPG.d2116f555725949fdf0a8753be7a0120.JPG

Right side

DSCF0187.thumb.JPG.997737d686f50e5c77ebcceea96af5aa.JPG

MikeO

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Awesome work on a building I know well. You know the three categories of falsehood? Lies, damned lies, and General Arrangement Drawings! 

For many years running construction sites one of my main roles was checking and reviewing architectural and engineering drawings before and as work progressed. On speculative housing projects it was basically a case of working with the trades on site to make sure everything fitted correctly before starting work on site. 

On commercial and public sector projects advising the client and design consultants on "Buildability" and "Value Engineering" (saving money) was part of our role as project manager and lead contractor. 

Design amendments such as the gable end windows were likely to have been recorded in a "site instruction" from the Engineer or Clark of Works to the contractor or builder, rather than a revision to an engineering or architectural drawing.

One of the foreman or site managers main roles was maintaining a record of site instructions from the Engineer, Architect or Clark of Works in order for the quantity surveyor to claim for extras and variations. In the days of paper based records a large project could generate a 20' container load of "requests for instruction" and ISO 9000 quality assurance documentation from the "Builders" and "site instructions" from the design team. Some days I spent 80% of my time processing queries or "RFI" from the contractors and "SI"s from the design team and about 20% of my time on site with my own team and contractors

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, MikeO said:

Two of the photos I took in 2012 show a window high up in each gable as mentioned by Kevin. 

To me the one on the left side seems like it could be original suggesting the other might also be original. The other window is not clearly shown.

Left side

DSCF0177.thumb.JPG.d2116f555725949fdf0a8753be7a0120.JPG

looking at this photo, I see several other errors in the drawings, all of which I have faithfully replicated in my model. So much so it is not really a model of Belturbet station, but a recreation of the flawed architects drawings.

I've spent 24 hours pondering my options with Belturbet. After careful study of the photos, I've concluded that the station house and train shed are good, as is most of the station masters house. The only problem are the gables of the station masters house. I've invested a month and half in the project, and I want it to be right. So I'm going to remake the gables and replace them. If this does not work out OK, I will have to remake the whole house. Time will tell.

I will never again trust a set of architects drawings. I'm glad its only a model, after reading Broithe and Mayner comments I can see it can be a lot worse in the full size real world.

• Like 4

It's always a blow when things go wrong. It's discouraging and the first instinct is often to fix it as soon as possible but, in my experience, it's as well to resist that impulse. Others here would undoubtedly say the same. (They have done for me in the recent past and I'm glad I listened). Best to wait until calm descends again before tackling the repair.

It's a wonderfully good model as it stands, Kevin but I understand your desire to get it right. Best of luck with the work. I hope you can make the necessary changes without too much hassle.

Alan

• Agree 1

Hi Kevin, your model of Belturbet is a masterpiece in 'N' scale. Like Alan, above, I understand your desire to get it right. 24 hours considering the situation, I think has allowed you to make the correct decision. I think remaking and replacing the gables will be well worth while and you'll be happier with an accurate model. I'd be in the same boat. I sometimes think I'm too pernickity with detail, but it's good to get it right. Good luck, you'll get there.

• Agree 1

Thanks for the advise guys. I think I will let the hare sit for another 24 hours and make the final call then. I am already beginning to think about my next project. Having been inspired by scahalane's amazing Kent Station model, I'm certainly thinking about trying something much bigger. Something with a big train shed, which narrows down the options. Ballywillan gets long fingered again.

• Like 2

I went for a compromise solution on the station masters house. The gable next to the station house will have to do as is. On the other gable I simply cut out a hole and inserted a window. It looks a bit ragged up close, but I can live with it. A few more hours work on the landscaping and the job will be done.

I decided on my next project. I've been inspired by Scahalane's amazing Kent Station model to try a bigger station, with a big train shed. I looked at Kent, Heuston, Connolly, Broadstone, Ceannt and Colbert. I really liked Heuston but there are a lot of complex details on the main building, which are well beyond my ability to model in N scale. In the end I was seduced by the graceful curves of Kent. Kent Station it is.

I'm really pushing the boat out on this one, but what the hell, you only live once and no point in playing it safe. It also gives me an excuse to visit Cork to survey the station. Although I already have some excellent 3d screengrabs from Google Earth, which will allow me to get the roofing details right.

It will be 1.2 meters by 0.6 meters in n scale.

• Like 7

I printed out the OS map of Kent Station in N Scale. Seeing the full size ground plan gave me a clear idea of the scale of this project and some idea of how much work is involved. The biggest design challenge will likely be how to slate the roof on the curved main building. I have a 3d printer which will be invaluable for doing the roof trusses of the train shed.

All going well I'm off to Cork next week to survey and photograph the station.

IMG_5461.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, scahalane said:

Good chatting with you yesterday. I look forward to seeing how you get on. N gauge should be interesting and give you a lot more scope to fit in the whole thing. If you need any photo's or Cad drawings as you progress let me know.

good chatting to you. All going well I'm for Cork on Tuesday, armed with my camera, notebook and laser measuring tool. I'm a regular user of the Sligo Dublin line, so I'm very much looking forward to riding a real train, on the premier line.

N guage is wonderfully compact. I have a big train room to work with, so I will have ample room to fit it all in. Kent will make a magnificent centrepiece for my layout, if I execute it well.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

You got approval from the master of building kent himself……

I hold scahalane entirely responsible for inspiring me to choose Kent, his model is so good and I love the scale and ambition of his layout. I may yet have cause to curse him as I wrestle with the design and building problems that I know will come from the curves. On the other hand I look forward to the challenges of the project, it would have been much easier to go for one of the other big train sheds in Ireland but it would have been a repeat of Belturbet just on a bigger scale. Kent is a leap into the unknown and whether I succeed or fail it will make me a better modeller.

• Like 2

Kevin

You definitely appear to be going down the architectural modelling road with models of Ballywillan, Crossdoney and Belturbet Station buildings before taking on Glanmire Road as your next project.

Your existing models appear certainly capture the atmosphere of the stations modelled either in diorama form or part of an operating layout.

I was inspire many years ago by an N Gauge UK exhibition layout that was basically a series of linked dioramas featuring a number of the stations on the Chester-Warrington Line in BR days. The dioramas were visually self contained scenes finished to a uniform standard with individual backscenes with tunnel mouths and overbridge's  disguising the links between adjoining sections.

I have a selection of slides somewhere if I can find them!

5 hours ago, Mayner said:

Kevin

You definitely appear to be going down the architectural modelling road with models of Ballywillan, Crossdoney and Belturbet Station buildings before taking on Glanmire Road as your next project.

Your existing models appear certainly capture the atmosphere of the stations modelled either in diorama form or part of an operating layout.

I was inspire many years ago by an N Gauge UK exhibition layout that was basically a series of linked dioramas featuring a number of the stations on the Chester-Warrington Line in BR days. The dioramas were visually self contained scenes finished to a uniform standard with individual backscenes with tunnel mouths and overbridge's  disguising the links between adjoining sections.

I have a selection of slides somewhere if I can find them!

Architectural modelling is definitely my thing. I have a big train room but so far all I have is a modest loop of double track with a few sidings. I originally got into model trains but my interest in modelling building quickly took over. I guess having done MGWR and GNR buildings. A Great Southern was the next logical choice.

• Like 4

That’s most interesting. Real niche you’ve found, which is something we don’t often understand about our hobby, I think….. I used to think modelling was all about buying and running trains - and many people do enjoy that which is great. But for me something was always missing. It finally clicked when I realised that scratch building locos and stock is achievable by ordinary mortals, and that’s what I really enjoy. Taking a drawing and a few photographs and making it ‘live’ again. Thanks for sharing your skills and achievements with us. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

That’s most interesting. Real niche you’ve found, which is something we don’t often understand about our hobby, I think….. I used to think modelling was aLl about buying and running trains - and many people do enjoy that which is great. But for me something was always missing. It finally clicked when I realised that scratch building locos and stock is achievable by ordinary mortals, and that’s what I really enjoy. Taking a drawing and a few photographs and making it ‘live’ again. Thanks for sharing your skills and achievements with us. 

There are so many dimensions to railway modelling. I've been thinking about the possibility of 3d printing stationary locos and stock in the future, which would really complete my dioramas. The Belturbet model would be much better with a Cavan Leitrim loco and a GNR train, sitting in the station.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Kevin Sweeney said:

I've been pondering that question. I'm not sure yet, but I'm not a fan of modern architecture, so I'm leaning towards an earlier version. I'll know better after tomorrow.

If you look at @scahalane’s example, I believe that’s meant to be a blend of the late 80s to the early 2000s 

he might be able to provide a no.36 3d print which I believe was in situ in Kent since 1955(?)

I think the roof was painted geeen as a post to the current grey scheme 

Edited by Westcorkrailway
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

If you look at @scahalane’s example, I believe that’s meant to be a blend of the late 80s to the early 2000s 

he might be able to provide a no.36 3d print which I believe was in situ in Kent since 1955(?)

I think the roof was painted geeen as a post to the current grey scheme 

I might build it as it is now, which would be more straight forward and not require any additional research.

Edited by Kevin Sweeney

39 minutes ago, Kevin Sweeney said:

I might build it as it is now, which would be more straight forward and not require any additional research.

It hasn't changed very much really. It has been re-roofed but generally looks the same. I have a lot of photo's so if your short on something I'll try and help.

50 minutes ago, scahalane said:

It hasn't changed very much really. It has been re-roofed but generally looks the same. I have a lot of photo's so if your short on something I'll try and help.

I may get back to you on that. I have an hour and a half tomorrow to do my survey of Kent. If I overlook anything I may get onto you to help fill in the gaps. As a musician I will try to get the survey wrapped up with some time to spare and play a few tunes on the piano.

• Like 1