loco haled Sperry train

Rate this topic

irishrailways52

7 hours ago, irishrailways52 said:

Hello. spacer.png only just found out yesterday that the loco haled Sperry train is now coming to an end. does anyone know where it will be so I can film it one last time. 

thanks

Where are you based? Heading to Cork this week I think 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Anyone seen the repaint on the RPSI genny van?

It’s a strange purply magic-mushroom colour.

Have you actually seen this in real life?

Or was it possibly a vision that you had whilst relaxing after a hard day?

• Funny 3

53 minutes ago, Bob229 said:

Great photo, will it be in Cork tomorrow? thanks

Midleton and cobh tommorow and I think back up to mallow then (I think). But its in cork parked there all night until sometime tommorow

10 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

I like the fluorescent pink. Very progressive gay pride feel to it. Are they going to repaint all of the Cravens pink or just the GSV?

No just the GSV. As to why it’s in this colour is bit of a mystery.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Midleton and cobh tommorow and I think back up to mallow then (I think). But its in cork parked there all night until sometime tommorow

No just the GSV. As to why it’s in this colour is bit of a mystery.

The colour is actually very nice. My only bugbear is what they were smoking when they put the pinstriping so high up the body. Although, "so high" up the body is probably a clue...

• Funny 3

7 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

The colour is actually very nice. My only bugbear is what they were smoking when they put the pinstriping so high up the body. Although, "so high" up the body is probably a clue...

It’s easier to see here but there is a 2nd pinstripe too. Although the livery is so shiny now it just looks like a reflection 😁

DA8E7C9D-0F66-4C44-A4DB-71DF0E364F45.jpeg

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

It was only Silk Cut Purple, honest.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

56 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

It’s easier to see here but there is a 2nd pinstripe too. Although the livery is so shiny now it just looks like a reflection 😁

DA8E7C9D-0F66-4C44-A4DB-71DF0E364F45.jpeg

Looks more purple than ex-LMS maroon. EDIT: PS a few years ago an RPSI chap told me 3173 was due to get repainted to match the craven stock with Royal blue and cream, or all over Blue.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Noel said:

Looks more purple than ex-LMS maroon. EDIT: PS a few years ago an RPSI chap told me 3173 was due to get repainted to match the craven stock with Royal blue and cream, or all over Blue.

I raised this point with several closer to the RPSI action in the past, and have been told over the years that the reason it was maroon was in case it was ever needed with any heritage stock. But it isn't, and the likelihood that it ever will is almost nil.

But this ghastly colour (sorry, DJ!!) isn't even maroon, or anything near it! Plain blue would possibly be best, though I do not want to open up a debate about what way to paint a vehicle whose entire life in its current guise was black'n'tan.....

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Funny 1

29 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

I raised this point with several closer to the RPSI action in the past, and have been told over the years that the reason it was maroon was in case it was ever needed with any heritage stock. ....But this ghastly colour isn't even maroon, or anything near it! .........

It probably self-identifies as maroon.

• Funny 3

While gricing this morning I had the news confirmed that this is the last Ever Sperry train. After it’s trip around the commuter lines in cork, it will head north to mallow for the night before completing its final ever journey from mallow to portlaoise. farewell the sperry road!

FE0F7770-D006-4247-8527-6AD78978AD48.thumb.jpeg.58ac81fa9d014afc0066ee9a4a7a946b.jpeg

221 takes the sperry back to cork 

A05AD7C2-A4E7-4594-BD2D-FB66E522B8C1.thumb.jpeg.73f5d09abdd527de2041a393107343e6.jpeg
085 heading back to cork light 

• Like 7
  • WOW! 1

I suspect it heralds the launch of a limited edition pack of the about to be revealed (?!) IRM twin generator packs  with a Dutch and the BR gen vans.  Twin pack would be a pinkish 3178 and a green Dutch. Normal packs would offer Dutch with a BSK based gen van in steam mode  also a a BCK and BSK version with an electric Dutch   Several versions of livery would be possible.

The real super pack of a RTR Sperry train pack with a maroon weathered 3178 , two flats with suitable containers. 

Should help those who want to run Cravens and Mk2s I guess   

Just get my coat

Robert  

• Funny 1

Never in my life did I see such publicity for a routine locomotive, a container on a wagon, and an old brake van….!

Shows how standardised the whole railway is now and how little of interest there is.

Fast forward to March 2051; the hedgerows of Stacumny Bridge are alive with gricers hoping to catch a glimpse of the only Class X* railcar with a squashed moth on its left-hand windscreen wiper!

(The class X will replace every single type of train now in use, in 2044. Remember where you heard it first. Britain and mainland Europe have them too. Every single train is the same…..)

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

6 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Never in my life did I see such publicity for a routine locomotive, a container on a wagon, and an old brake van….!

Shows how standardised the whole railway is now and how little of interest there is.

Fast forward to March 2051; the hedgerows of Stacumny Bridge are alive with gricers hoping to catch a glimpse of the only Class X* railcar with a squashed moth on its left-hand windscreen wiper!

(The class X will replace every single type of train now in use, in 2044. Remember where you heard it first. Britain and mainland Europe have them too. Every single train is the same…..)

Infairness it’s not everyday you see a 1950s coach working mainline duty. That’s like a 6 wheeler from the 1880s work In 1960s 

The only loco hauled trains coming down to Middleton and cobh now are the track trains, hobs and maybe a railtour if passing loops are installed/ multiple engines like the sperry 

All those trains will be VERY occasional 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

I suspect it heralds the launch of a limited edition pack of the about to be revealed (?!) IRM twin generator packs  with a Dutch and the BR gen vans.  Twin pack would be a pinkish 3178 and a green Dutch. Normal packs would offer Dutch with a BSK based gen van in steam mode  also a a BCK and BSK version with an electric Dutch   Several versions of livery would be possible.

The real super pack of a RTR Sperry train pack with a maroon weathered 3178 , two flats with suitable containers. 

Should help those who want to run Cravens and Mk2s I guess   

Just get my coat

Robert  

According to Wikipedia, nine Irish GSV's have survived in some way, shape or form.

The IRM / Accurascale modular approach of today has evoled a lot compared to three years ago.

I'd speculate with a hat-eating wager that a BR Mk1 BCK and BSK launch, accompanied with an Irish cousin variant or two, is a lot more likely on the cards over the coming months / years.

Of the surviving Irish ones, several went back to the UK and now sit on narrow gauge British bogies, so the livery and configuration possibilities for both British and Irish variants are relatively vast.

Ignoring the British variants, I'm sure that they saw a few different liveries under Irish use. CIE use, weedspray use, RPSI use, Downpatrick use etc.

And now we have the RPSI pink variant. I mean, what sort of monster would you need to be to not buy at least two or three and bask in the pinkness on your layout?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Infairness it’s not everyday you see a 1950s coach working mainline duty. That’s like a 6 wheeler from the 1880s work In 1960s 

The only loco hauled trains coming down to Middleton and cobh now are the track trains, hobs and maybe a railtour if passing loops are installed/ multiple engines like the sperry 

All those trains will be VERY occasional 

Which, I suppose, amplifies my point......!

6 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

According to Wikipedia, nine Irish GSV's have survived in some way, shape or form.

The IRM / Accurascale modular approach of today has evoled a lot compared to three years ago.

I'd speculate with a hat-eating wager that a BR Mk1 BCK and BSK launch, accompanied with an Irish cousin variant or two, is a lot more likely on the cards over the coming months / years.

Of the surviving Irish ones, several went back to the UK and now sit on narrow gauge British bogies, so the livery and configuration possibilities for both British and Irish variants are relatively vast.

Ignoring the British variants, I'm sure that they saw a few different liveries under Irish use. CIE use, weedspray use, RPSI use, Downpatrick use etc.

And now we have the RPSI pink variant. I mean, what sort of monster would you need to be to not buy at least two or three and bask in the pinkness on your layout?

Livery variants here were as follows:

1.  In traffic, only black'n'tan.

2. Maintenance use, all yellow.

3. RPSI - first maroon, now pinky-purple.

That's yer lot. The DCDR one remains in CIE black'n'tan.