loco haled Sperry train

Rate this topic

irishrailways52

14 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

According to Wikipedia, nine Irish GSV's have survived in some way, shape or form.

That surprises me! There were a total of 22 of these BR vans (of several different types) as far as I remember; that's almost half of them.

Quiz question (winner gets to buy me a pint): What Irish rail-borne thing on wheels has the MAJORITY of its members preserved? (Not counting one-offs, lime CVR / CDR Railcar 10)

14 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Which, I suppose, amplifies my point......!

Livery variants here were as follows:

1.  In traffic, only black'n'tan.

2. Maintenance use, all yellow.

3. RPSI - first maroon, now pinky-purple.

That's yer lot. The DCDR one remains in CIE black'n'tan.

How many were there in total, what were their running numbers, and which were BCK's and BSK's?

Sorry you posted now, huh?

2 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

How many were there in total, what were their running numbers, and which were BCK's and BSK's?

Sorry you posted now, huh?

The answer is "yes, all of them"..............

And I think that "rattling numbers" would be more appropriate than "running numbers"!! 😉

• Funny 1

31 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

That surprises me! There were a total of 22 of these BR vans (of several different types) as far as I remember; that's almost half of them.

Quiz question (winner gets to buy me a pint): What Irish rail-borne thing on wheels has the MAJORITY of its members preserved? (Not counting one-offs, lime CVR / CDR Railcar 10)

The Bord na Mona well tanks, all three preserved and in operation.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

While gricing this morning I had the news confirmed that this is the last Ever Sperry train. After it’s trip around the commuter lines in cork, it will head north to mallow for the night before completing its final ever journey from mallow to portlaoise. farewell the sperry road!

thanks for all the answers. do you know what time it will leave mallow for portLaois

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

There is an awful lot of Ruston 88DS locos still around. I count 4 141s 

6 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

And amend the question to what is there more than one loco preserved of, excluding industrials?

DCDR sugar engines

Donegal 2.6.4T

DCDR O & K

J15

Diesels….
A

C

G

E

80 class

…….?

If your counting the DCDR sugar puffs. The 4 preserved EX-CSE Ruston 88DS should count too

There WAS 2 preserved hunslet locos 

Edited by Westcorkrailway

12 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Never thought of those....

I was thinking "G" class.

611 - extant, DCDR / ITG

612 - scrapped

613 - extant, DCDR

614 - scrapped

615 - scrapped

616 - extant - ITG

617 - extant - DCDR / ITG

Five Class 5 CDR locos and three preserved.  Most by far from the Irish NG

• Like 1

I recall the paint had the same purpley hue when the original coat was applied in Mullingar but cured by the time we put in traffic.

Carriage stalwart @mphoey of this parish did the original striping. 

Also, the DSER 15/GSR K2 class and Sulzer B113 class have a 50% survival rate.  😁

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Niles said:

I recall the paint had the same purpley hue when the original coat was applied in Mullingar but cured by the time we put in traffic.

Carriage stalwart @mphoey of this parish did the original striping. 

Also, the DSER 15/GSR K2 class and Sulzer B113 class have a 50% survival rate.  😁

Had a similar experience matching BR Bauxite for re-painting a Goods Brake on a UK heritage line during the 90s. The paint mixed to a BR spec. was almost a salmon pink when initially re-painted, but faded/cured to the correct shade after a year or two.

Going back to Sperry, does anyone know whether IE are retaining Sperry for (ultrasonic?) rail testing or appointing another contractor?

In the States Sperry were famous for its fleet of self propelled Inspection Railcars usually converted gas-electric "Doodlebug" dating from the 1920-30s similar to SRS 119 https://www.sperryrail.com/rail_inspection_sticks.php which roamed the US rail system.

• Like 1

It’s it’s dark or any shadow. It’s the same colour as it was before the repaint….but put any bit of light there and its back to the purple.

FA553C12-7726-4E0E-9695-4893640BF7B4.thumb.jpeg.cd26becfda7f5fb4afeae2dbf5f674e9.jpeg

however it has not been out of the paint shops that long (the door handles have not been painted yet for instance) so it’s possibly going to cure as some above have suggested 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...