Clogherhead - A GNR(I) Seaside Terminus

Rate this topic

My friend has produced the valances for me for the main platform canopy - laser cut in 1mm balsa, very fragile!!  But broken parts will fit with my 'dilapidation' theme.

IMG_4135.JPG

IMG_4136.JPG

Also, the sea wall between the railway and the (future) beach is under construction - good to reduce further the amount of visible bright white foam board.  The wall will be capped with DAS coping stones then a wire fence.

IMG_4131.JPG

IMG_4132.JPG

IMG_4133.JPG

IMG_4134.JPG

IMG_4137.JPG

Edited by Patrick Davey
  • Like 13
  • WOW! 1

2 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Excellent. Can just see a grubby UG with CIE stencilled on buffer beam fussing with a few vans….

…..and one of those very early multi-coloured sixties excursions on the northern line, in which certainly no two coaches were alike. As well as ex-GNR stock, both steel and timber panelled, you could get a number of types of old GSWR vehicles - low and high roof, corridor and non-corridor; Bredins, Park Royals, brand new tin vans… and within one train, CIE green, black & tan, GNR navy & cream, GNR brown, and (very dirty) silver!

And this, boys and girls, is the reason why if the black’n’tan era was more varied and interesting than (post 1972) “modern image”, the pre-1962 grey’n’green era is more interesting still!

Plus of course, both steam and diesel working side by side.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2023 at 1:21 PM, Metrovik said:

Having just read through this thread, may I just say Wow. Simply Wow. Love the slightly run down feel to everything. You're  inspiring me Patrick. Keep up the good work!

From Capecastle to Brookhall Mill to Clogherhead, these layouts are a master class in mini / shunting layouts and show what’s possible ina small space.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

This week I have been working on the paved area on the platform side of the station building.  DAS clay was spread over thick card and held flat until it set.  Then the clay was scribed to represent large paving slabs, then painted before thin beads of glue were spread between the slabs and scatter material added.  More of the scatter material will be removed before the final effect is achieved.

64F5C773-6735-4659-9BE8-7156331A9AAC.jpeg

B178A98A-7888-4F29-ACB7-195CB7E25758.jpeg

4E9BF047-2A51-4FFD-9815-9D236B1A718A.jpeg

0361EE98-8396-4B1A-8B03-57DD669E23DC.jpeg

D5780832-9F02-463C-AC73-C70C06859F29.jpeg

Edited by Patrick Davey
  • Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Fabulous work Patrick. Pure GNRI in all its faded glory. To quote Thomas Moore….
Let Fate do her worst, there are relics of joy, 
Bright dreams of the past, which she cannot destroy; 
Which come in the night-time of sorrow and care, 
And bring back the features that joy used to wear. 
Long, long be my heart with such memories fill'd! 
Like the vase, in which roses have once been distill'd -- 
You may break, you may shatter the vase, if you will, 
But the scent of the roses will hang round it still.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

4 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Fabulous work Patrick. Pure GNRI in all its faded glory. To quote Thomas Moore….
Let Fate do her worst, there are relics of joy, 
Bright dreams of the past, which she cannot destroy; 
Which come in the night-time of sorrow and care, 
And bring back the features that joy used to wear. 
Long, long be my heart with such memories fill'd! 
Like the vase, in which roses have once been distill'd -- 
You may break, you may shatter the vase, if you will, 
But the scent of the roses will hang round it still.

Is this poetry O or OO scale?

• Funny 1

Getting back to working on the sea wall, between the station and the lower level beach…. Photos show the production line for making the large coping stones:

1. First I made plasticard formers

2. DAS clay is pushed into the formers

3. Once the clay has dried, it is removed and the blocks are cut into 1 cm lengths and smoothed off, any small fragments which break off, hopefully add to the realism

4. Using PVA glue, the blocks are fixed to the top of the wall sections

5. Once all the smaller wall sections are completed, they will be fixed into position at the bottom of the existing taller sections.

E7C30D91-C4D5-485D-8B44-13C3E2BE7CFE.thumb.jpeg.db07b9f8b1eb8ba6eecafc181b63fb4c.jpeg
C1CE390E-972F-4C74-8371-587F420CBA28.thumb.jpeg.b7b5811331a4cfcd9059ec9b141093b3.jpeg

20607588-D29E-4D6F-BE69-6EC002BAAD3C.thumb.jpeg.39504b674dae96d9633ce28e53bff125.jpeg

• Like 13