Next Provincial Wagon?

Rate this topic

leslie10646

• 1 month later...

With Bangor looming, another of these vans seemed a good-ish idea?

I promised another Broken Wheel, but I need some feedback. The wagon I planned to do was this one, without the IR "scrap this now" graffitti. The photo dates from 1977, so is usable on a layout up to mid 1970s? Now, it obviously has a simple white "Wheel".

If you were going to buy one, which would you prefer - the prototypically correct all white, or the orange and white version - about a Euro dearer, but looks "nicer"?

I expect the cost to be either €20 or €21, but as you'll be paying in "coins of the Realm" at Bangor , we're talking about £16/17.

CIECementVan1681-CPFriel7719Lcopy.jpg.811dd88d32b6bdde60acc9adb81d523b.jpg

Over to you - I will, accept,  "don't bother with more of them" ......

• Like 5

1 hour ago, leslie10646 said:

I promised another Broken Wheel, but I need some feedback. The wagon I planned to do was this one, without the IR "scrap this now" graffitti. The photo dates from 1977, so is usable on a layout up to mid 1970s? 

Yes, useable up to about 1976.

With a “broken wheel”, two possibilities -

1.  Grey wagon with tan and white logo: 1963-70, with many still retaining that to the end, as they’d never been repainted; thus 1963-76.

2.  Brown wagon with all-white logo: only after 1970, right to the end.

The more “Provincial Wagons”, the better, as always!

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Informative 1

23 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

I promised another Broken Wheel, but I need some feedback. The wagon I planned to do was this one, without the IR "scrap this now" graffitti. The photo dates from 1977, so is usable on a layout up to mid 1970s? Now, it obviously has a simple white "Wheel".

If you were going to buy one, which would you prefer - the prototypically correct all white, or the orange and white version - about a Euro dearer, but looks "nicer"?

I expect the cost to be either €20 or €21, but as you'll be paying in "coins of the Realm" at Bangor , we're talking about £16/17.

Both!!!

• Like 1

On 22/12/2023 at 1:18 PM, leslie10646 said:

The orange surround, white letters, was also prototypically correct, but only on "H" vans and "PalVans". In fact, far more grey H's had tan and white ones than all-white, though I saw both.  On open wagons, older timber-bodied vans, ex-GNR vans and (post 1970) everything brown (without exception) the rojundel was always all-white.

• Informative 3