Next Provincial Wagon?

Rate this topic

leslie10646

On 21/7/2023 at 10:27 PM, leslie10646 said:

Hi Dave Thanks for giving me a good laugh, for -

Those prices are laughable. I sold them for €15 tops when they were in my catalogue.

Tempting to do a rerun!
The cement van is very close to the Irish original. Maybe another run of it in CIE colours?

To which Dave (Dangerous that is) replied:

Leslie, I would bet my kidneys that at €15 per van RTR, your only problem would be people complaining that they sold out too quickly. You'd have people buying them in tens and twenties, not just ones and twos.

Well, Dave, you got me thinking seriously, so if this wagon doesn't sell, my "boys" will be after you!

I've started the ball rolling, but the files on my computer aren't as good as they might so you'll have to wait for an example picture of the CIE version, but this was the GN one -

GNCement2229.jpg.3973f56df90647262ccd53a575e1a55e.jpg

The CIE version omitted the "Return top Drogheda" and had an "N" (meaning ex G N R) suffix with the number. Then instead of the GN, a Snail in the top left quadrant. The black (metal) underframe is standard Dapol, who won't do it otherwise. It CAN be made grey, given a bit of patient work. The only other difference from a pure Irish wagon is the width, it will be a little narrower (being modelled on a "narrow gauge" wagon) than the correct Irish size, but what a couple of millimetres between friends?

My next question is with a Snail, or a Broken Wheel? JB will remind me that the Wheel came in about 1963, which means that the wagon in either form is great for your IRM "A" Class whether silver, green or BnT.

Or do I do a hundred of each? Answers by reply, e-mail, PM, or whatever, but please, not rude!

The bad news is that the new wagon will be more like €18 a go.

Whadda ya think?

• Like 5
  • WOW! 1

5 minutes ago, Noel said:

Nice. Are they to be Kits or RTR?

RTR.

3 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

To which Dave (Dangerous that is) replied:

Leslie, I would bet my kidneys that at €15 per van RTR, your only problem would be people complaining that they sold out too quickly. You'd have people buying them in tens and twenties, not just ones and twos.

Well, Dave, you got me thinking seriously, so if this wagon doesn't sell, my "boys" will be after you!

Wait, what do I win if they DO sell out?

3 hours ago, leslie10646 said:
The black (metal) underframe is standard Dapol, who won't do it otherwise. It CAN be made grey, given a bit of patient work.

Does the body unscrew from the chassis or are they glued together?

Edited by DJ Dangerous

Just a holding reply, as I'm doing this distantly from home, where I have samples of the earlier wagons!

Noel, they ARE RTR, with NEM pockets / Dapol couplings.

Dave, I'm 99% sure that the body can be removed from the chassis by undoing a screw. I'm editting this to say that a screw does allow the body to be removed from the chassis.

Also, Dave, if they sell out, I'll simply do another run with a different number. And I'll thank you for provoking me to do another run. There are 350 out there already in different guises!

Edited by leslie10646
  • Funny 1

Great news. Broken wheel and snail versions I’m in. Hope they don’t inherit the drooping Dapol NEM pockets. It’s handy to plug kadee NEM couplings in. €18 is a good price.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now that I am back home beside my railway, I have dug out my previous Flying Snail Bagged Cement wagon:

IMG_6251(1).thumb.jpg.3b518af8d8c9c0334fdbdde9d9e46607.jpg

I have requested a repeat of this, with a new number 2211.

Now, the Broken Wheel version will take a little more research. I have photographic evidence of a Orange / White "Wheel" on this type of wagon, so I'm looking into that (costs more, by the way for the extra colour!). If I do that, I'll drop the "Return to Drogheda", which my evidence suggests had been obliterated by the time they got wheels.

I supplied about twenty of this wagon to Mark Cuffe - did any of you buy one from his famous shop? Maybe he's still got them squirreled away!

• Like 11

Flange Lubricator said:   A very difficult picture to find however if you look through the wonderful IRRS flickr site and look in the Tom Davitt collection there is a picture at Liffey Junction of a GNR 1795 Bogie wagon and in the background is a ex GNR covered van with pressed steel ends and a  white CIE roundell .

Thanks, Mark, that's a useful reminder. The photo before is a brown / bauxite example with the plain white "Wheel". So, that's that sorted! I had photos of the plain white / grey combination, it's the Orange (tan?) / white wheel with grey that I really sought. The "orange" would make a dull wagon a little more interesting?

I'd been through the "Wagon" album on Ciaran's brilliant site (for the rest of you - access to it is a good reason to be a IRRS member!). without seeing it! Now, I'll trawl the other "Photographer" albums - a lot of evidence is hidden behind other things, as Mark has spotted here. Thanks for the reminder!

Father Tom took some very interesting photographs and I remember him from his days in London when he put up with my youthful enthusiasm when we both sat on the IRRS London Area committee.

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 2

On 1/8/2023 at 10:33 AM, leslie10646 said:

Flange Lubricator said:   A very difficult picture to find however if you look through the wonderful IRRS flickr site and look in the Tom Davitt collection there is a picture at Liffey Junction of a GNR 1795 Bogie wagon and in the background is a ex GNR covered van with pressed steel ends and a  white CIE roundell .

Thanks, Mark, that's a useful reminder. The photo before is a brown / bauxite example with the plain white "Wheel". So, that's that sorted! I had photos of the plain white / grey combination, it's the Orange (tan?) / white wheel with grey that I really sought. The "orange" would make a dull wagon a little more interesting?

I'd been through the "Wagon" album on Ciaran's brilliant site (for the rest of you - access to it is a good reason to be a IRRS member!). without seeing it! Now, I'll trawl the other "Photographer" albums - a lot of evidence is hidden behind other things, as Mark has spotted here. Thanks for the reminder!

Father Tom took some very interesting photographs and I remember him from his days in London when he put up with my youthful enthusiasm when we both sat on the IRRS London Area committee.

from a JHB post Grey livery with Orange roundell

696067CA-8482-49FC-9201-0F7F3193FC7D.jpeg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

First, thanks for the various pointers to evidence which has helped me get these wagons sorted out (I hope).

The first two will be the grey variants and if they sell, then I'll produce the "Brown" variation which Mr Flange has illustrated above. JB tells me that they had a BROWN roof as well as body, so that'll add a bit of colour to your trains - hopefully for Bangor 2024, (DV).

Now,  a short update.

I signed off the artwork for both wagons ("Snail" and "Broken Wheel") about ten days ago and have a date when they are supposed to be made at Chirk, near Wrexham.

I live in hope that I'll have them for Blackrock.

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 11

33 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

First, thanks for the various pointers to evidence which has helped me get these wagons sorted out (I hope).

The first two will be the grey variants and if they sell, then I'll produce the "Brown" variation which Mr Flange has illustrated above. JB tells me that they had a BROWN roof as well as body, so that'll add a bit of colour to your trains - hopefully for Bangor 2024, (DV).

Now,  a short update.

I signed off the artwork for both wagons ("Snail" and "Broken Wheel") about ten days ago and have a date when they are supposed to be made at Chirk, near Wrexham.

I live in hope that I'll have them for Blackrock.

Absolutely brilliant news, Leslie!  Looking forward to seeing them. Yes, indeed, all brown-painted wagons had brown roofs, though these tended to weather to a nondescript dunduckety-mud colour!

Edited by jhb171achill

40 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Absolutely brilliant news, Leslie!  Looking forward to seeing them. Yes, indeed, all brown-painted wagons had brown roofs, though these tended to weather to a nondescript dunduckety-mud colour!

Oddly enough I was just about to ask that question on here, as I need to paint some H Van kits I just received from JM Design. Despite looking at countless colour photos from loose-coupled goods days, it's incredibly difficult to put a colour on the roofs of the wagons. Wasn't sure if it was just a bit of shine but you've put that one to rest. 

Were the roofs grey when the wagons were grey?