Next Provincial Wagon?

Rate this topic

leslie10646

• 1 month later...

Now, lads, I'm not in IRM's league, so no photos of containers just a big box from Dapol a couple of hours ago.

IMG_6958copy2.thumb.jpg.98614758968ad317fcb317cef27e8271.jpg

At least the first one looks fine .....

IMG_6960copy2.thumb.jpg.ab56efbc9d1761d4e19b9320c13620da.jpg

02655369-3495-4046-B4C2-9C71BD04243E_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.276b6dc0ceb5872b84107d7162788388.jpeg

Fingers crossed for the second one. this was a week early!

Back to a bit of labelling, certificates etc .....  Blackrock is just around the corner (time-wise)

• Like 17
  • WOW! 2

9 minutes ago, Patrick Davey said:

Leslie can I have one please - the 'Drogheda' reference fits very nicely with my current project!

Will maybe get to Blackrock but if not I'll order by post.

Great looking van!!!

Your name's on one, Patrick, thanks. As you're in UK, I'm happy to post it to you.

1 hour ago, leslie10646 said:

Now, lads, I'm not in IRM's league, so no photos of containers just a big box from Dapol a couple of hours ago.

IMG_6958copy2.thumb.jpg.98614758968ad317fcb317cef27e8271.jpg

At least the first one looks fine .....

IMG_6960copy2.thumb.jpg.ab56efbc9d1761d4e19b9320c13620da.jpg

02655369-3495-4046-B4C2-9C71BD04243E_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.276b6dc0ceb5872b84107d7162788388.jpeg

Fingers crossed for the second one. this was a week early!

Back to a bit of labelling, certificates etc .....  Blackrock is just around the corner (time-wise)

Just purchased my Dublin train ticket… 

Thanks, Derek

According to Dapol, they are making them tomorrow, 16th. Fingers tightly crossed.

However, the "Flying Snail" version was with me before its scheduled build date!

I'll know precisely when I get a demand for a Grand or so from Andrea in their accounts department!

I promise that you folk will be the first to know!

In terms of Expressions of Interest, the "Wheel" version is nearly half  spoken for, and the  Snail, over a third.

Leslie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noel said:

@leslie10646 FYI, the link on your web site to your products is not working. 'Kits of model Irish railway wagons' has no hyper link to a products page. Was interested in ordering some of these wagons. Cheers Noel

Leslie has posted on the forum previously to let us know that he's having issues with his website.

If you go to https://provincialwagons.com/ there are placeholder images and there is a contact form, more than adequate for ordering.

Leslie is quite prompt at dealing with enquiries and will send you a list of kits via email.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Noel said:

@leslie10646 FYI, the link on your web site to your products is not working. 'Kits of model Irish railway wagons' has no hyper link to a products page. Was interested in ordering some of these wagons. Cheers Noel

Hi Noel

I'm sorry that you have had difficulty with my "website".

The "links" are on the right hand side of the Home page - offering "About us";   contacting us";  "Exhibitions";  "Home" and "News". The last one announces the new wagon 2211N and its UK price £17.

As Dave says above "provincialwagons.com" will take you to the site, as will a query "Provincial Wagons" - my site comes top of the page on Google.

My preferred way to deal with orders is through my e-mail, which gets looked at regularly.

I do apologise for the exceedingly amateur website. I just haven't got the knack, patience or time to conquer "Wordpress" - I even bought the book, but it remains a Black Art!

I'll stick to "The Good Book" - a much better read!

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Hi Noel

I'm sorry that you have had difficulty with my "website".

The "links" are on the right hand side of the Home page - offering "About us";   contacting us";  "Exhibitions";  "Home" and "News". The last one announces the new wagon 2211N and its UK price £17.

As Dave says above "provincialwagons.com" will take you to the site, as will a query "Provincial Wagons" - my site comes top of the page on Google.

My preferred way to deal with orders is through my e-mail, which gets looked at regularly.

I do apologise for the exceedingly amateur website. I just haven't got the knack, patience or time to conquer "Wordpress" - I even bought the book, but it remains a Black Art!

I'll stick to "The Good Book" - a much better read!

Hi Leslie

no problem and no need to apologise, I just wanted to bring to your attention that the list of kits and list of products was no longer on the website. You used to have a nice listing with photos. PM sent with enquiry. I was also interested in some CIE H-Van kits, you were out of stock last time we exchanged emails. All the best. Noel

3 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Well, Dapol DID make the "Broken Wheel" version on Monday and they've arrived and been photographed.

IMG_7026.thumb.jpeg.f0cfdcf1340f3057f7c7dc28e820e3a5.jpeg

IMG_7030.thumb.jpeg.7850f8c6a6fedfcabe6a343d289f5146.jpeg

A word of explanation - no doubt JHB will correct me if I'm wrong - with the advent of the famous (hats off to IRM) Bubbles, these Bagged Cement vans ceased to be used for their original purpose and reverted to simply being "Really Useful Vans". Hence the "Return to Drogheda (Cement Factory) no longer was pertinent, so it was obliterated (almost) by a swipe of grey paint, likewise the "16 tons" referring to the capacity. Did that mean that they were the highest capacity four wheel vans in CIE, until the PALVans?

I think that the studio at Dapol (three cheers for Claire) and the factory have done a nice job. I hope that you like them too?

Correct, Leslie, they became essentially a full part of the CIE "H" van fleet and were treated as such. In fact, to a modeller, they are even more important in that role as they would be as GNR cement vans. Cement vans were limited in what they did or where they went - but in CIE guise these vans could - and did - turn up literally everywhere on standard goods traffic. I would guess they even briefly made it to Wisht Caark. They were to be seen on UTA goods on the Derry Road and to Belfast for the short last few years of goods traffic to those places.

And your faded GNR lettering about returning to Drogheda is spot on - while it wasn't intended to show through the new CIE grey paint, often these things did; it would not be unusual either to see a faint trace of a large "G" behind the CIE roundel. The "slap of grey paint" could indeed be just that (though it covered the chassis too 😉 )......

All in all a lovely addition to your range! Congrats again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

Although they may have lost their "CEMENT ONLY'  "RETURN TO DROGHEDA lettering ex-GN vans are likely to have continued to carry bagged cement (along with CIEs H Vans) until the traffic was palletised in 1976.

The Cement Bubbles were built to carry an entirely new traffic originally to Cork, Belfast and Dublin, with little expansion until the Mid 70s with the opening of depots at Athenry, Tullamore, Sligo, Westport, ironically Drogeda-Athy bulk cement traffic was transported in a hopper version of the GN bagged cement wagon

In the overall scheme of things the 138 ex-GNR (54-56)wagons were relatively insignificant in numbers to transport the Boyne Road plant traffic, the GN 200 12t "Standard Covered Wagons" for cement traffic from the late 30s onwards. The GNR wagons were double sheeted (internally) and 3" thick floor boards to stand up to carrying bagged cement, hard on both the wagons and the men that loaded-unloaded the wagons.

The ex-GN wooden wagons would have gone by the late 60s.

The number of ex-GN wagons available for cement traffic would have been insignificant in comparison with the approx. 2700 H Vans built by CIE from the mid 1940s to late 1950s

• Like 6
  • Informative 3

Good morning, Gents

As of now, half of the run of the new wagons is "Spoken for".

It would be helpful, and also ensure that you're not disappointed, if I knew when you were planning to collect the wagons at Blackrock, please?

Could "Flying Snail", "Gabal Lum", "Sean", "The Bandon Tank", "Fishplate Seven", "Jarl", "Derek", Traction Man", "DB Joe", "Branno", "Leyney", "Phil350", "Louth", "West Cork Railway",  "Rosslare Ranger" please PM me and give me  their usual names and which day they are picking up their wagons at Blackrock, please? Then I'll know how many wagons I still have to sell!

Thanks.

Leslie

• Like 4

1 hour ago, leslie10646 said:

Good morning, Gents

As of now, half of the run of the new wagons is "Spoken for".

It would be helpful, and also ensure that you're not disappointed, if I knew when you were planning to collect the wagons at Blackrock, please?

Could "Flying Snail", "Gabal Lum", "Sean", "The Bandon Tank", "Fishplate Seven", "Jarl", "Derek", Traction Man", "DB Joe", "Branno", "Leyney", "Phil350", "Louth", "West Cork Railway",  "Rosslare Ranger" please PM me and give me  their usual names and which day they are picking up their wagons at Blackrock, please? Then I'll know how many wagons I still have to sell!

Thanks.

Leslie

I sent a PM with my name attached so I thaught? 

If somone claiming to be @westcorkrailway on the forum comes up and looks older or younger then 20 then shun them away!!!🤣

• Funny 2

I’m happy to report that I have another supply of the RCH standard open wagons, as built by the GNR – both four plank and six plank. The bodies are 3D printed by Marc Dobson of Pre Grouping Railways, and they are on a Smallbrook chassis. A specially-made minisheet of lettering with correct numbers is included. The samples below built for me in full GNR "Bling" by Galteemoreof this Parish.

SixPlankDR.thumb.jpg.ecb013cc4ab287c4ef13869ead1a9831.jpg

Fourplankthreequarters.thumb.jpg.e1de34ac6fc9cca304b6590b113e20fb.jpg 

A SIMILAR wagon ran on the Southern lines of GSR and MGWR, at least, but were a little different in the height of floor and of course axleboxes. But, if you want to accept the “Two Foot” rule, I’ll chuck in a few Snails! JB will remind me that VERY few would have survived the onset of the corrugated Bulleid wagons from the late fifties  onwards.

£32 or €35 each

Off to church on this God-given day.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

I’m happy to report that I have another supply of the RCH standard open wagons, as built by the GNR – both four plank and six plank. The bodies are 3D printed by Marc Dobson of Pre Grouping Railways, and they are on a Smallbrook chassis. A specially-made minisheet of lettering with correct numbers is included. The samples below built for me in full GNR "Bling" by Galteemoreof this Parish.

SixPlankDR.thumb.jpg.ecb013cc4ab287c4ef13869ead1a9831.jpg

Fourplankthreequarters.thumb.jpg.e1de34ac6fc9cca304b6590b113e20fb.jpg 

A SIMILAR wagon ran on the Southern lines of GSR and MGWR, at least, but were a little different in the height of floor and of course axleboxes. But, if you want to accept the “Two Foot” rule, I’ll chuck in a few Snails! JB will remind me that VERY few would have survived the onset of the corrugated Bulleid wagons from the late fifties  onwards.

£32 or €35 each

Off to church on this God-given day.

😮😮😮😮

Built by @Galteemore, who wouldn't in a bazillion years allow his workspace be contaminated by something as tiny as OO Gauge?

So, are they O Gauge or Gauge 1?

Complete kits are available in 7mm with brass 3point rockers sprung buffers and 3link couplings. They can be done in G1, S and HO as bodies on demand. They are currently not listed on the website just because I've not got round to it. 

These is also a Dundalk Newry and Greenore 2plk open available as well.

Marc

• Like 2