LIMA Murphy Models

Rate this topic

WRENNEIRE

Look at the price tag on this thing.

Theres a reason for that - CJM are the best of the best. Most items are handmade and commission only. This includes handmade chassis to an unbeatable standard. They are to N gauge models what Blancpain are to wristwatches....

Theres a reason for that - CJM are the best of the best. Most items are handmade and commission only. This includes handmade chassis to an unbeatable standard. They are to N gauge models what Blancpain are to wristwatches....

I hear ya. Still seems expensive for what they describe themselves as 'a corruption'.

I think we've had quite enough half-assed 'Irish' Hymeks and cheap and cheerful offerings from the likes of Hornby.

I wouldn't care for a re-release, things have moved on in detail and quality.

Agree 100%. Even back then when they were released I thought they were junk heaps. At least the Lima CIE class 33 vaguely looked like an A class and was a decent moulding and paint job, and the Lima mk1 coaches at least had the right B&T colours, unlike the Hornby Hymek horror show with its ugly orange day-glo plastic and hideous shiny window frames on the mk2a's. I have that set since mid 70s and am in the process of using it as scrap for spray painting experiments and colour tests.

I was so disgusted with the Hornby hymek colour I repainted it by hand as a youngster, mixing a few humbrol colours. The Lima mk1's in the background were not bad for their day.

DSC_6875.jpg

I paint brushed the horrible toy like shiny window frames on the hornby mk2's with black paint.

DSC_6863.jpg

Currently I'm bodging the coaches with various weathering and respray experiments before I eventually bin them. The hymek horror show has been sent to 'connaught' :)

Still have an affectionate affinity for my pair of 1970s Lima class 33's in CIE livery vaguely supposed to be CIE A class super train. The drive system is typical utter Lima rubbish with scale start speeds of 25mph and scale top speeds of 200mph :)

LimaCIE_Class33s.JPG

Edited by Noel
Photobucket - Bye bye!

I re-motored 2 of my class 33's with the CD-rom motor. 1 turned out very well and is very smooth and quiet. The other is just as noisy and rough.The crude lima mouldings on the cogs/gears often had plastic burrs left behind, some reckon this it what gives them the classic grinding noise.

Late 1970s Lima CIE Vans. One on the left has a very light weather dusting, one on the right is as bought. Some had metal wheels, others plastic. Bought these one by one with pocket and bob-a-job money from W J Owens in Bray which was a good model railway shop in the 1960s and 1970s.

IMG_1251.jpg

Edited by Noel

Agree 100%. Even back then when they were released I thought they were junk heaps. At least the Lima CIE class 33 vaguely looked like an A class and was a decent moulding and paint job, and the Lima mk1 coaches at least had the right B&T colours, unlike the Hornby Hymek horror show with its ugly orange day-glo plastic and hideous shiny window frames on the mk2a's. I have that set since mid 70s and am in the process of using it as scrap for spray painting experiments and colour tests.

A Hornby starter set even now is like a museum piece, compared to what other manufacturers are putting out.

A Hornby starter set even now is like a museum piece, compared to what other manufacturers are putting out.

Have to agree. This recent one looks like it was pulled straight from a 1960's tri-ang catalogue.

But I guess that's why hornby are in rapid decline.

r1180_2.jpg

In fairness to Hornby, they appear to be getting their act together after a few years on the decline. If you consider the amount of tooling alone that's in their stock, and how much of it belongs to airfix, tri-ang, Lima, and their own 80's range, there's an enormous financial undertaking to bring those cheap and cheerful sets up to what's expected. The other fact is that the UK market isn't at the races at all, and is some way behind their European counterparts in what they produce.

This loco for instance, the French A Class (!) - look at the detail, and look at the price on the next page. https://www.reynaulds.com/news/111.aspx

Did they do a Lambo watch?

Seem to recall something about them splitting up

. . .The other fact is that the UK market isn't at the races at all, and is some way behind their European counterparts in what they produce.

This loco for instance, the French A Class (!) - look at the detail, and look at the price on the next page. https://www.reynaulds.com/news/111.aspx

Yes superb European models. The prices aren't bad considering they include DCC sound decoder and are orders of magnitude better engineered and detail is in another league. Have a look at the bogie detail - its is staggering. 20 Years ago an Austrian pal of mine used to scoff at Bachmann and Hornby RTR, but I didn't fully understand why until I saw his layout and his models - even 20 years ago, simply on another planet for detail and engineering precision, but as you point out at a cost worthy of their quality. Less is more when it comes to quality, or as they say down our way, quality is better than quantity.

I stopped buying Hornby around 25 years ago and switched to Bachmann because then they were two gears up on Hornby for detail, and just as important the Bachmann running quality seemed more for modellers rather than Hornby toy choo-choos.

"This loco for instance, the French A Class (!) - look at the detail, and look at the price on the next page. https://www.reynaulds.com/news/111.aspx"

I'd expect my fancy to be very well tickled for $400 to be frank.

I've no issue with Hornby, I think they've upped their game. Giving out about their starter set quality is too reductive an argument for my liking. I think teh bigger issue is the changing tastes of young fellahs who are more into Far Cry, Call of Duty and Halo Reach than getting the goo from a 1/72 kit or 1/76 model.

Looking at their retooled A4s and class 33s and the price they are? No complaints.

• 1 month later...

Picked up a Meccano Catalogue today at Bray Wheelers

Nothing exceptional there you might say

1964 Irish Edition with Price List

Irish Distributors name printed on the catalogue as opposed to the usual John Bull stamp

Also a John Bull stamp on some pages of the catalogue for The Model Railway Shop, Monck Place.

P1090942_zpsggflmty2.thumb.JPG.b8734632f629f55f1b1ba6d330b6d830.JPG

P1090950_zpsfywh6gpx.thumb.JPG.2bd426479b7d6f43ece402f74710382e.JPG

P1090953_zpszbzjcaz8.thumb.JPG.59a8718255c427045b62cb5bff38ae03.JPG

P1090952_zps0jqivk3f.thumb.JPG.8022acfac963e810267dddcae92c3dec.JPG

P1090951_zpsq3yb9ufh.thumb.JPG.ab5463dbb652dab44915028b79f812d6.JPG

P1090947_zpssdpy559l.thumb.JPG.ac7012f769a228a16561dd94c3fc09a3.JPG

P1090949_zpsakidss1v.thumb.JPG.87985e11f538e9486409fe3431481083.JPG

P1090948_zps6nzb99ob.thumb.JPG.1e7390c6f1f20809d8a5eac8ef4ed3e1.JPG

P1090954_zpskhsxa1lx.thumb.JPG.c52b339b5ef290aeb2f65729e00016d9.JPG

P1090943_zpsvwbhc6ub.thumb.JPG.728bb0b2a70bdd7aa04a0b4b0a7989cd.JPG

Edited by WRENNEIRE

Also some bits that I never associated with Meccano

Bayko Building sets, called Outfits in the catalogue

Bayko was a precursor to Lego as a building toy.

P1090944_zpsqsjvt8kj.thumb.JPG.82d466998835a2002f1915ef3e21b14c.JPG

Also Play Doh, a new one on me

It says Made & Guarenteed by Meccano!

P1090946_zps5u9w990q.thumb.JPG.06a6747fe0c3faa54cea2330a1499155.JPG

Super Skates, New from America, but again made & guarenteed by Meccano

P1090945_zpsissg3kut.thumb.JPG.3bb650d0733961e0deaa1d4b23c1ed5a.JPG

Edited by WRENNEIRE

• 2 weeks later...

Silver Fox have some pre production models for inspection

If you are at the Bangor show this weekend drop over and check them out

TPO & Luggage Van

I reckon they need NEM style couplings, the older Lima/Triang Style ones are long out of date

P4010004_zpsxotsbpvx.thumb.JPG.55987bba3ce45f503709cdc1f7591804.JPG

P4010002_zpsesnvafjo.thumb.JPG.6af0b4bf19ce889d63c829e0ce18633c.JPG

Edited by WRENNEIRE

Thanks for posting those Dave. As pre-production models they look very nice, especially the 3 axle HLV. Agree about NEM pockets and hope he puts hand rails by at the guards door on the HLV and the double doors on the TPO. Google produced two comparison photos. Great for the 60s/70s golden era. There is nothing on his web site yet http://silverfoxmodels.co.uk/category/irish-railways-iarnrod-eireann/

Any idea on pricing?

Silver Fox have some pre production models for inspection

If you are at the Bangor show this weekend drop over and check them out

TPO & Luggage Van

I reckon they need NEM style couplings, the older Lima/Triang Style ones are long out of date

P4010004_zpsxotsbpvx.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=15037&d=1410573724

P4010002_zpsesnvafjo.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=10372&d=1385795004

Going by his usual expensive pricing I reckon it will be in the £100 range (stg)

Another thing which I spoke about with a couple of the lads from here is that he has not captured the Irishness in the width of these models

Should be 10'3" wide but they look very British width wise

Going by his usual expensive pricing I reckon it will be in the £100 range (stg)

I'd guess they may be similar prices to John's Irish GSVs which are GBP £79 (€95).

Another thing which I spoke about with a couple of the lads from here is that he has not captured the Irishness in the width of these models. Should be 10'3" wide but they look very British width wise.

Have you seen them close up Dave? Difficult to tell the width from the camera angle in those photos. The deep tumblehome of the prototype HLV was a very distinct characteristic.

The paint job looks nice and crisp, but I hope the large hand rail is fitted, and not painted on the production models as per the photo above. Also the glazing needs to be pushed tight against the windows and not have the air gaps seen in the photos.

Difficult to tell the width from the camera angle in those photos. The deep tumblehome of the prototype HLV was a very distinct characteristic.

Now hopefully we don't get the usual plethora of unhelpful comments regarding IFM models but I think Wrenns comments are fair and I'm inclined to agree (with you both, I think) that the 6-wheel HLV doesn't capture that distinctive styling of the prototype. This is one of my favorite vans from that period and this model fails to capture my heart. The TPO isn't bad and since there are no rtr alternatives to choose from,... well, enough said. Still happy to see more prototypical builds from the talented scratch builders on here. Put em up, lads

Edited by DiveController

Dave,

You might politely suggest to Silverfox that there are two shades of orange, RAL 2011 and tan as perfected by Phoenix Precision Paint, rather than the in between shade that they seem to use for both liveries. I'm trying to be as sensitive as possible here.

R.