What Scale Do You Model Irish Railways In?

Rate this topic

DJ Dangerous

What Scale Do You Model Irish Railways In?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What Scale Do You Model Irish Railways In?

• N Gauge
    • HO Gauge
    • OO Gauge
    • O Gauge
    • Gauge 1
    • Other - please specify

So, @JasonB's 1/18 post HERE, and the lack of interest on the O Gauge vehicle thread HERE, got me wondering aboit what scales and gauges people model Irish railways in?

Trying to add a poll but not sure if I'll get it right!

I have created a poll but the forum seems to be asking me to choose this post or the poll.

The options, I guess, are:

N Gauge

HO Gauge (wink wink, @murphaph!)

OO Gauge

O Gauge

Gauge 1

Other (please specify)

Anything anybody wishes to add, please do so!

9 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Strictly speaking DJ I model 7mm not O gauge -o gauge being 32mm whereas my wheels are set at 36.75……

Sorry, @Galteemore, I kind of went for broad strokes to keep it simple.

I'm sure N Gauge could also be broken down into 1:144 and 1:150, while OO Gauge could be 16,5mm, 18,2mm, 20,2mm, 21mm etc.

Just to get a general feel for things.

I'm assuming it'll be 90% OO Gauge, 5% N Gauge, 5% O Gauge, 1% others, with a 1% margin of error.

4 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

So, @JasonB's 1/18 post HERE, and the lack of interest on the O Gauge vehicle thread HERE, got me wondering aboit what scales and gauges people model Irish railways in?

Trying to add a poll but not sure if I'll get it right!

I have created a poll but the forum seems to be asking me to choose this post or the poll.

The options, I guess, are:

N Gauge

HO Gauge (wink wink, @murphaph!)

OO Gauge

O Gauge

Gauge 1

Other (please specify)

Anything anybody wishes to add, please do so!

I play with the real trains…I don’t see that one there…😜😜😜😜😜😜

• WOW! 1
  • Funny 4

4 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Strictly speaking DJ I model 7mm not O gauge -o gauge being 32mm whereas my wheels are set at 36.75……

As with Galteemore, the "gauge" description doesn't fit my Irish modelling which is in 2mm finescale.

So 1:152 on 10.5mm gauge track, which, at the risk of sounding elitist, is a long way from N Gauge.

I've also got a passing interest in 3mm scale on 9mm track to represent the narrow gauge, this interest is latent at the moment though as I've enough to be going on with!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7mm scale but 36.75mm gauge and 21mm for 3'ng. I sometimes wonder how many folk actually model 5'3 in each scale.

Take 7mm scale: Slater's do a broad gauge loco axle and Donegal wheels, but the evidence of this forum suggests that, apart from myself and Galteemore, they don't have many customers!

We seem to have Angus doing 2mm and Broadstone in S, while 4mm scale is probably still in single figures - I can think of four. Then there is Ballyconnell Road in 3mmfs.

Not that it matters, there are great things being done in the more commercial scale/gauge combinations, but it would be nice to know who else is out there.

Edited by David Holman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Angus said:

As with Galteemore, the "gauge" description doesn't fit my Irish modelling which is in 2mm finescale.

So 1:152 on 10.5mm gauge track, which, at the risk of sounding elitist, is a long way from N Gauge.

I've also got a passing interest in 3mm scale on 9mm track to represent the narrow gauge, this interest is latent at the moment though as I've enough to be going on with!

Sorry, @Angus, I kind of went for broad strokes to keep it simple.

I'm sure each broad category could also be broken down further.

I assume you're one of the two "elitists" in the "Other" category, as you've specified here.

The poll is just to get a general feel for things. I'm sure that @BosKonay can add a few categories further down the line, when the "Other" category warrants it. Probably not worth it just yet with only two members selecting it.

Screenshot_20231112-090438.png

• Like 1

I have dabbled in modelling Irish Railways in OO, N during the late 70s/early 80s, before attempting to model 5'3" on 21mm and 3' on 12mm, I have a couple of Large Scale Irish 3' gauge items 15mm Scale on 45mm (G/Gauge 1 track.

I have also dabbled in American outline N (1:160) and British Outline EM, my main interest is in model making rather than running or collecting rtr and not really interested in how.

Ironically the shift to N in the late 70s was driven mainly with frustration with my attempts to model Irish railways in OO and thought that I would be less tempted to attempt modelling Irish railways in N, but ended up with a reasonably realistic Irish outline layout using repainted/modified rtr and scratchbuilt buildings and structures.

I don't get hung up on the designation of my Irish Broad and Narrow gauge locos and stock, they are simply 4mm Scale that run on 12mm or 21mm gauge track with wheel profiles  and running clearance based on EM Gauge Society clearances, the chances of being invited to run on another 21mm or 21mm gauge layout are fairly slim.

• Thanks 1