Amiens Street Terminus

Rate this topic

Admin

• 2 weeks later...
I like the Schenker and Freightliner model's in the background Stephen. I have a soft spot for the class 66's in the Freightliner livery. I wish I could say the same for the new livery on the class 70's.

Rich,

Sorry to go off topic again, but the UK version is now out and a little different, it's actually even worse http://www.wnxx.com/content/030513/66504B.htm :puke:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Massively overdue for an update, I've not that much to report unfortunately!

In nor particular order, the retaining wall at Blackrock Junction has been primed, the viaduct too (though will some filler and a respray to even temporarily pass as concrete). The incline to the Crossstairs bridge has been balasted and the start of the wall made (wall on the left horizontal!).

I also painted (first attempt) the plaster tunnel mouth. The last few times upstairs I've been busy trying to clean and clear and remove stock, so I can get the overhead lighting, point motors and wiring finished!

IMG_5628.jpg

IMG_5629.jpg

IMG_5630.jpg

IMG_5632.jpg

IMG_5633.jpg

Incline1.jpg

I'm hoping that I can get the retaining wall, some grass, etc, on the incline done, and maybe a backscene behind it, which will give me the start of something scenic to look at :)

Once you get some greenery in there it really does start to change the look of things and you will find it spurs you on to get more done on the layout.

IMG_5643.jpg

This shot shows better the space. The viaduct has a 6 foot radius, so it sits in a 3 foot 'square' base. My plan is to sweep hills down on both sides (swallowing up some of the viaduct itself in the process) so that is sits down in to a valley.

I'm planning to actually build a rolling hillside behind the viaduct. From the bottom of the backscene, to the floor of the valley, big sweeping kinda thing! (That's the plan anyway!)

Yes I was going to suggest something along those lines. What I would say is put plenty of big trees in and have the tops of them just above the bottom of the backscene so it looks like you are looking at the mountains and fields in the distance just above the trees.

Got it in one sir :)

Plan is a polystyrene 'foundation' then lots of modroc / plaster to provide gentle rolling hills, down to a small river and road at the bottom. Then to liberally forest the hills :)

I saw photos of a layout before (can't remember) where behind the viaduct was basically a huge forest - was stunningly effective!

The only thing I wasnt sure about, which is more clear in photo2, is the 'turn' at the corner, and how to smoooth it out. Either that, or just photograph either side :)

It's good if you can sweep the bend, with a bit of hardboard or something - "there are no corners in the sky", as somebody once said.

Not the best picture, but here's an example. It does make a difference.

rDCpP7K.jpg

Edited by Broithe

Hmm, reckon I'll have to have a go at a curve, the one in the photo is too abrupt, and will cast a shadow no matter what I reckon...

It's worth the effort at this stage. Something like a one foot radius allows the lighting to blend nicely. Any corners will always show up.

Damned if I can find the video Stephen but what you do is get yourself some 3mm MDF and cut it the same height as the the gap from the top of the baseboard to the top of your wall the length is up to yourself the longer it is the more shallow the curve. Push it into the corner and glue and pin the edges of the MDF to the wall you will then need to use some polly filler and smooth the edges so you don't have a step from the wall to the face edge of the board. then apply your backscene that way you do away with the corner and it gives you a nice smooth look to the back scene.

As an idea for doing your hill with trees check this out for some ideas http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/12421

Also check this video out not so much for the lift up panel but for the way he has the cliff and trees in front of his backscene If I remember correctly the guy in the video is the same guy who showed you how to do the corners in the video I seen somewhere.

Edited by Anthony