Amiens Street Terminus

Rate this topic

Admin

How do you find them wiggy? I've some in my boxes from gaugemaster, ID and peco, be interesting to see how the backdrop ones compare

id Backscenes and gauge master are OK.

Peco not so realistic in my opinion.

Backdropjunction I have, if you want to know about them, pm me and I'll tell you.

Wiggy.

id Backscenes and gauge master are OK.

Peco not so realistic in my opinion.

Also, the Peco ones do fade a bit, if you've got a good bit of daylight on the scene, although this does make them look a bit better than when they're new, I think - sort of "distant", if you know what I mean...

Stephen, I have been trying to locate some of my photos of Craigmore Viaduct for you. I have a new laptop and I am trying to upload as much of my collection as I can. I will have to see if the pictures on the desk top can be salvaged and put onto an external hard drive. Anyway I got these from the web. The bridge is going to be a focal point on the layout, and as much as there will be huge interest in operating the terminus section of the layout, I can see some evenings being spent watching an Enterprise or Freight service crossing the viaduct.

We almost always view the real railway from platform, or ground level, and with our models we tend to view them from above. You could build some landscape at track level that would become a valley beneath the viaduct. Don't build anything behind the viaduct. get a back scene of the sky, or if you fancy yourself as a Constable paint a nice sky. That way there will be nothing behind the trains to distract you when you are viewing it. It will be an epic piece of work when it is built and I think it is always best to use photos of a real location and see it in person if you can. I have used photos of other layouts way back, but it's always going to be someone elses work. There is an opportunity to create something really beautiful here. I hope there will be invites to see it when trains are moving.

Talk soon Rich,

749453160_828998165d_b.jpg

371863939_25d6946fcf_o.jpg

Stunning shots Rich - thanks a million! Hmmm, I see exactly what you mean about sky behind the viaduct, and you're right - It looks amazing!....... hmmmmm, back to the drawing board a bit on the backscene methinks!

The International Models "Valley" scene is largely sky - http://www.internationalmodels.net/acatalog/26_Inch__26___High_Backscenes.html - again, two foot three high..

SMALL-PROD-auhagen-42509.jpg

..and there is a third extension sheet, too..

Stephen your a lucky man as that viaduct is only down the road from me. Photos are very deceptive the above photos are taken looking from west to east where you are looking into a valley so all you are going to see is sky. But cross over and look at the bridge from east to west and the sky line changes completely. You then have mountains hills etc come into the scene. Below is a distance shot and a close up taken from the other side. You can see mountains etc behind the bridge. If you need any more pics let me know.

photo (kgy.jpg

photo (9).jpg

Boskonay, if you have the room,and from the photo's it looks like you have,I think if you model sweeping hills in front and behind the viaduct on either side,with an all sky backscene as suggested,you will get the best realism from the viaduct.The sweeping hills behind the viaduct can sweep up higher behind the viaduct onto the track level and blend in with a scenic backscene either side and the sweeping hill in front of the viaduct can sweep up a bit lower than the back sweep,maybe hiding the bottom half of the trains for a short bit before levelling out.

The real viaduct stands out and is more dramatic in Rich's photos, whereas in Anhony's ones it is largely lost in the surrounding scenery. I'd agree with Hunslet and Rich. Keep the hills / high ground behind the tracks on either side of your viaduct with clear sky behind the viaduct itself. Dave's excellent work deserves to stand out. Something like

Viaduct.jpg

The valley behind the viaduct could, as has been suggested, swwep down to the sea or a lake or to hills in the far distance.

That's a pretty conclusive image. The main focus should be the trains crossing the Viaduct. It is true that photographing the Viaduct from different vantage points will produce different visual panorama. I am thinking of the D&M Enterprise models hauled by a 201 of Stephens choice along with loads of Freight, or for that matter anything of his choice. I hope these pics give an idea of the difference and some food for thought.

5171799147_6bb313a86b_b.jpg

Rich,

749453244_8b25888440_b.jpg

Thanks lads - am loaded with inspiration!

I reckon I'll track down one of those 23" high valley backscenes and speak with Dave about a lovely curved backboard to mount it on, then sweep hills around and above the viaduct sides.

In the mean time, a bit of fun :)

IMG_5708.jpg

That looks the part Stephen, it will look even better with the curved board following the curve of the viaduct. Emily even looks like she is posing for the camera. The young fella just said if she is a Bachmann Emily it's eyes should move. The boy knows his stuff.

Rich,

That looks the part Stephen, it will look even better with the curved board following the curve of the viaduct. Emily even looks like she is posing for the camera. The young fella just said if she is a Bachmann Emily it's eyes should move. The boy knows his stuff.

Rich,

He does, and she does :)

• 2 months later...

Cheers lads! Little darling no. 3 distracted me rightly there for 6 months too, but now the kids are back to school and some semblance of normality has resumed :)

CTC is installing, then I want to finish the lighting project that's been sitting on the floor for 7 months (!) Basically LED profile strips running at a 45 degree angle on the roof, to provide 'daylight' light levels on the layout.

Once done, I've another 20 or so cobalt motors to fit, then wire the motor / accessory bus for the pc to talk to the points!

Probably get that far by year end!