Amiens Street Terminus

Rate this topic

Admin

Cheers lads! Little darling no. 3 distracted me rightly there for 6 months too, but now the kids are back to school and some semblance of normality has resumed :)

CTC is installing, then I want to finish the lighting project that's been sitting on the floor for 7 months (!) Basically LED profile strips running at a 45 degree angle on the roof, to provide 'daylight' light levels on the layout.

Once done, I've another 20 or so cobalt motors to fit, then wire the motor / accessory bus for the pc to talk to the points!

Probably get that far by year end!

Oh those sleepless nights Stephen. Still worth every second though. The modelling season seems to be kicking in again, keep us up to date. I will be using cobalt's myself, expect plenty of questions.

Rich,

That's a good question! When fully finished there will be almost three mini layouts, each joined by mainline.

Amiens Street terminus includes two long push pull platforms, ostensibly the enterprise platforms but also for mk3 and 4 sets.

Platforms 2 and 3 have the loco release road and are for all of the above as well as loco hauled and specials.

Platform 1 at the front is the shortest and is intended for the commuter dmu service. ( maybe in time emu too)

The additional sidings at the from here are dmu stabling with the facing two lines a running shed for same.

Opposite is a freight yard (top three lines on right) a small per way years then three coach sidings and the shed.

The shed and coach sidings have access to all platforms with some shunting required by the pilot to prepare freights for the road.

Then there will be Blackrock Road Depot, a preserved small terminus with associated works and storage yards.

There is an as yet unnamed through station on the mainline and Cement yard which will be a small cement unloading yard and maybe a small commuter halt.

I'd expect pilots at Amiens street and Blackrock road to be very busy preparing services, DMUs shuttling around (eventually on autopilot) handling the rush hour and then the mainline services competing with freights on the two line mainline. A little like the real thing :)

I'd hope with help to have 10-12 trains. 'Active' at peak use with 4 out on the mainline at any one time! Why I need block detection and automation might now make sense! That or my madness is exposed!

Edited by BosKonay

As you say, I didn't want the BUZZ THUNK of the normal points, I also required computer control, so any solution had to have a digital control side.

I reviewed the tortoise and cobalt and tried one of each but went with the Cobalt as they are much smaller, the DCC decoder is integrated, and you get additional switches to allow the addition of signalling and frog control, all with just two wires to the motor.

In practice they are solid, reliable, throw beautifully and are very quiet. However, I hit 'wierd' issues around programming them, with roughly 50% of the motors I ordered. After many attempts and tweaks without avail, I'm awaiting a replacement box of motors at the moment. An odd issue certainly, but not one that's put me off them, and the customer service from Modelshopbelfast, Gaugemaster and DCC concepts was faultless.

I've butchered the peco points a bit, removing the spring, trimming off the 'handles' on them and soldering jumpers to power them directly (and cutting the default wiring connecting the frog to the blade).

This way, the motors can do their thing and they maintain the tension when thrown to hold the blade in place, and each point is a self-contained powered unit, with insulating joiners to the rest of the layout. This way you're not depending on the point at all to conduct and can weather the bejaysus out of them, including the point blades, and just keep the surface of the rail clean.

I've used woodlands almost everywhere, with a run of Noch / Gaugemaster ballasted underlay too. Both work well but once ballasted the noise deadening isnt' fantastic either way! (still a lot better than cork though!)

• 3 weeks later...