Amiens Street Terminus

Rate this topic

Admin

Excellent Stephen, I love the potholes in the hard standing. I wouldn't do too much sanding as it has that broken edge look in the last photo that is so normal to see around yards. I like the placement of the buildings, especially the half relief building behind the wall. Richie's water tower looks sweet. It's a great thread to follow for anyone wanting to get inspired.

Rich,

Thanks Rich, I've a lot of grubbying up to do, weeds to plant, etc, and have plans to build a back row of half relief stuff over the wall too...

The water tower sets off the corner and the main Shed will be installed just to the right of the three sidings in the second photo..

Goal is something akin to http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway%20Stations%20N/North%20Wall/IrishRailwayStations.html#NorthWall_20100820_008_CC_JA.jpg

Edited by BosKonay

I used a wallpaper scraper and small trowel to level off the grout, and just ran the trowel edge down the semi-set grout.

When very nearly set, i ran a small screwdriver along the rail side then ran an old wagon with deep flanges down just to be sure :)

I've actually very pleased with how well the grooves came out

Extending unfortunately isn't an option Seamus, as these two sidings are tucked in between the terminus throat and mainline... but I hear you on the walkway.... Maybe a small fueling / cleaning point would look better here... not sure there is anything with raised walkways in the prototype anyway...

There is a similar setup with raised walkways in the 'Wicklow Sidings' in Bray. The walkways, made of steel, were put in to provide a safe walking route for drivers changing ends in the sidings (sorry no photo). There were also similar wooden walkways in the bay platform area in Dún Laoghaire before the area was redeveloped for the DART. These were used for cleaning coaching stock. The attached photo shows the area as DART works in the station waere just starting. The line serving the platform has been lifted and some of the coping stones have been removed. The light coloured area on the wall opposite the signal cabin was where the siding whent across Harbour Road and on to St Michael's Wharf. Personally, I'd keep the walkway on the layout.

110-03b.jpg

Edited by josefstadt