Amiens Street Terminus

Rate this topic

Admin

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The station is a Metcalf station building, built from a kit I've had from yonks ago, and spruced up with some posters, and IE signage. I've also fitted interiors (plaster ceilings, interior lights, painted walls, etc, etc which will hopefully look nice with all the lights on! The platforms are Hornby plastic yokes wallpapered with building sheets...

This terminus and quarry / cement terminus has been claimed by Son no.1 so we're straying a tad from prototype so he can have more fun with it :) Son no.2 is getting a mini whitehead whether he likes it or not :)

Stephen, I have spent this evening being greatly informed and most entertained by re-viewing this entire spectacular thread. What a layout project. Simply stunning. It's clearly a very large project and will take some years to complete, but the progress since 2012 has been very impressive. I love the clever track plan which offers loads of operating potential.

Cobalt Point Motors: Can I ask you now that you've had cobalt point pointers installed for over three years what you now think of them? (i.e. reliability, robustness over time, etc). A few questions if you have the time:

1. Do Peco points need to be adapted in anyway (i.e. remove center spring)?
  2. I know very little about them, but if they only need two wires to the DCC backbone, can they still be operated by analog lever switches rather than just accessory numbers from a DCC cab?
  3. The cobalt lever switches with the safety release look a bit large and unwieldy as well as expensive, which type of lever switch would you now recommend?
  4. What motor model do you recommend? Currently I have insulfrog points which seem to be fine with all wheel pickup diesels, but in the future I suspect I may replace some points with electrofrog. Therefore would you recommend a model that could do for insulfrog now (i.e. ignore circuit switching), but do electrofrog switching in the future?
  5. How did you fig them to the baseboard? Did the double sided tape to ply stand the test of time or did you have to glue, or screw them?
  6. Will they work for some points where they cannot be located directly under the points (i.e. via horizontal push rods for points sited at baseboard joints)?

Cobalt Point Motors: Can I ask you now that you've had cobalt point pointers installed for over three years what you now think of them? (i.e. reliability, robustness over time, etc). A few questions if you have the time:

1. Do Peco points need to be adapted in anyway (i.e. remove center spring)?
  2. I know very little about them, but if they only need two wires to the DCC backbone, can they still be operated by analog lever switches rather than just accessory numbers from a DCC cab?
  3. The cobalt lever switches with the safety release look a bit large and unwieldy as well as expensive, which type of lever switch would you now recommend?
  4. What motor model do you recommend? Currently I have insulfrog points which seem to be fine with all wheel pickup diesels, but in the future I suspect I may replace some points with electrofrog. Therefore would you recommend a model that could do for insulfrog now (i.e. ignore circuit switching), but do electrofrog switching in the future?
  5. How did you fig them to the baseboard? Did the double sided tape to ply stand the test of time or did you have to glue, or screw them?
  6. Will they work for some points where they cannot be located directly under the points (i.e. via horizontal push rods for points sited at baseboard joints)?

Hold up pilgrim.

01 the thread is going wildly astray, and any info, if replied to is Hard to find, if another should search for similar later on.

02 doing a search on the topic results in a very informative thread by scahalane on the subject - empty box, top right of page.

03 failing that,, there is Google, YouTube, and cobalt themselves.

You've asked very useful questions, and were they answered, would disappear into the depths of this forum. put them into the right thread please.

In fairness the questions are specifically about this layout and raised because of posts on this thread about the installation of cobalt point motors some years ago. Just interested in Stephen's experience, how they worked out over time on Amiens Street, and his current opinion of these motors three years later.

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/4-Amiens-Street-Terminus?p=14759&viewfull=1#post14759

Edited by Noel

You miss my point completely Noel. It's a very specific and technical item, which should be in it's own separate thread. That way, someone else, in three years time can find a chat about Cobalt Point Motors via the search. If you search and it returns this thread, you'll have 142 (and growing) pages to navigate for it. I make the point not for my benefit, nor yours, but for the greater number of forum users.

You miss my point completely Noel. It's a very specific and technical item, which should be in it's own separate thread. That way, someone else, in three years time can find a chat about Cobalt Point Motors via the search. If you search and it returns this thread, you'll have 142 (and growing) pages to navigate for it. I make the point not for my benefit, nor yours, but for the greater number of forum users.

Hi Richie. No prob, understand. :) The thrust of my query was how they had stood the test of time on Amiens street. Stephen kindly setup another thread. Cheers

Noel

• 4 months later...

In somewhat vain hopes of being 'still a work in progress' here is the latest track plan for the Cement / Quarry branch, which features a small terminus (enough room for a 141 with three cravens and a van) two loading sidings for ballast or cement, a depot, and headshunt.

Son no.1 insists it gets called "Manchester"... so be it!

Manchester-Trackplan.png

I have the backscene in, quarry walls almost done, and 75% of thetrack down, platforms and station buildings built... now just to find a few hours to try finish it off!

IMG_0282.jpg

Not the best photo, but gives a feel for the branch.

Mainline climbs away on the right into the tunnel, Viaduct is off scene below right. The two lines bottom right are the branch back to the mainline and the headshunt with the shed and 5 lines into the sidings and station visible... just about...

More anon!

In somewhat vain hopes of being 'still a work in progress' here is the latest track plan for the Cement / Quarry branch, which features a small terminus (enough room for a 141 with three cravens and a van) two loading sidings for ballast or cement, a depot, and headshunt.

Son no.1 insists it gets called "Manchester"... so be it!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22580[/ATTACH]

I have the backscene in, quarry walls almost done, and 75% of thetrack down, platforms and station buildings built... now just to find a few hours to try finish it off!

Like the plan for the branch. It looks like it will be a great addition to Amiens Street. Looking at the photo generates anticipation of a really interesting branch operationally as well as visually.

She is indeed :) The two top sidings allow for just over 4 foot of train between buffers and points, so lots of room for shunting and loco release movements :)

That will be nice! Get a few pics up when yer done! I have to get a move on with my layout!