MK3 Scrapping

Rate this topic

Killucan2

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would usually be of the same opinion but the post I quoted wasn't uttered by your usual forum spoofer. Jury still out for me mind you.

Yup - purple monkey dishwasher. 10 days is my record for a spurious rumour that I deliberately started to return back to me with a extra bit tacked on :)

The mark 3 coaching stock being withdrawn completely was a farce,

comfertible stock Let to rot while Irish rail make excuses about shorter trains!

a joke, you didnt see the English dumping the mark 3,s, 2600 are used here for most cross

country services, which they are not attractive, cost saving/??

• 1 month later...
Did your mate in the ITG tell you that? :P

Have a load of friend who are members of ITG and who work on the railway so here a lot what's happening out there, spl works,livery changes ,loco's: I take it you and your mates are not in the same circle as you would have heard what's happening:o

• Like 1

Have a load of friend who are members of ITG and who work on the railway so here a lot what's happening out there' date=' spl works,livery changes ,loco's: I take it you and your mates are not in the same circle as you would have heard what's happening:o[/quote']

Yeah I cry myself to sleep being out of those gossip circles. Especially the amount of make believe guff that goes around. I'm missing out on so much!!!

Where is the point in saving the non push pull coaches if there are no EGVs to work them. All the EGVs in Dundalk and North Wall have their gennys removed. At this point it only makes sense to save a small push pull rake of a few 63xx coaches with the DVT and cafe car.

but to be clear lads, is it just 6105 and 6402 that are to be the only survivors of the entire mk 3 fleet?

Along with others, I have heard rumours about a luxury train operator setting up shop in Ireland and a preservation attempt, both of which would involve Mk.3's - if true. Apart from the two Mk.3 Internationals (one at the hotel, the other at the garden centre), there is also 7161 at Inchicore (one of the "Executive" coaches) which, given it wasn't cut with the rest last year, suggests it has some possibility of a future with IE. As to others, I think we will have to wait until the scrapper is finished working at Waterford, Dundalk and North Wall and see what - if any - Mk.3's are still extant. That doesn't mean that if there are any survivors, that they're safe either. It may be just a temporary stay of execution until someone figures out whether whatever scheme is afoot will survive long term. Given the amount of carriages involved there will be quite a wait.

Where is the point in saving the non push pull coaches if there are no EGVs to work them. All the EGVs in Dundalk and North Wall have their gennys removed. At this point it only makes sense to save a small push pull rake of a few 63xx coaches with the DVT and cafe car.

The gennys are still in 7601,7612 which are in Dundalk, ment to be taken out and moved to inchoire for possible use in so called VSOE deal.

Wasn't 7161 half painted into a version of the new green and silver livery not too long ago. Think it's still lurking around Inchicore somewhere. Still the big question is of an EGV for these mystical survivors.

Colour's are ment for the 29s after overhaul ,two gennys are ment to be left aside in N/wall , 34 for scrap there,and theres more than that down there last time I looked!

Edited by Killucan2

Is that 141 coupled to the coach in use as a shunter?

Contrary to Railer's comment, no it isn't.

There hasn't been a working 141 class on IE for about two and a half years, 171 being the last.

That Mk.3 picture is quite recent. Note the "OrientExpress" branding. I don't think that's for 29k Railcars!