MK3 Scrapping

Rate this topic

Killucan2

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mk3s went past my house on Sunday at about ten to 9. Good video here

They apparently ran around in Central, but there doesn't seem to be any photos of that... pity, even in the 80s and 90s I think the mk3s were quite rare up here... Does anyone know how many more transfers there will be?

The mk3s went past my house on Sunday at about ten to 9. Good video here
They apparently ran around in Central, but there doesn't seem to be any photos of that... pity, even in the 80s and 90s I think the mk3s were quite rare up here... Does anyone know how many more transfers there will be?

I'm going to try my luck at catching them heading from North Wall to Dundalk on Thursday. I'll let you know if they run and you can assume they'll pass your house at the same time Sunday.

Three more sounds about right. Won't be more than 6 at a time. Any longer than 6 exceeds the shunt limit at Adelaide and causes issues apparently

They can get 7 max in fine without fouling the points. The first set that went up was a 7 piece rake and from the photos posted online there was no issues getting them in to the scrap siding.

They are going to have to convert the brakes to vacuum on 7607 for the weed spray train.

I don't think that this is correct. AFIK the EGV is to be converted to become the spray van. This will probably entail the removal of one of the generator sets and its replacement with the spray equipment. The restaurant car is to be used to provide more suitable accommodation for the staff (at present they travel in the spray coach) and that the train will be air-braked.

Could they not have two large tanks in the EGV where each of the generators used to be and another large tank in the kitchen half of the Restaurant coach and then accommodate the crew in the passenger half of the coach?

They need to keep one of the generator sets to power the whole shebang... and I'm not sure what H&S would have to say about accommodating crew adjacent to a big tank of weedkiller!

Anyway, I propose that the new weedsprayer train should be known as The Orient Express. PIMP:P

Edited by Garfield

I don't think that this is correct. AFIK the EGV is to be converted to become the spray van. This will probably entail the removal of one of the generator sets and its replacement with the spray equipment. The restaurant car is to be used to provide more suitable accommodation for the staff (at present they travel in the spray coach) and that the train will be air-braked.

7607 already has it's genys removed, notice the two holes in the roof at each end. If the train is to be air braked then that will mean modifying the 42ft flats to air brakes.

Interesting to see which will replace the DD's when they are overhauled. It will bring a bit more variety to northern line come the summer anyway. 3000 class,more 29000 class, maybe even the odd ICR :)

I believe that during the DD overhaul, only one 22000 will be replacing the enterprise.

It will work something a bit like this;

Eg,

9001 goes, 22001 comes

9001 comes back, 9002 goes

9002 comes back, 9003 goes

9003 comes back, 9004 goes

9004 comes back, 22001 goes home.

It might not be in the that order nor It might not be 22001 but it will diffently work like this as both TNIR & IÉ officials have told me.

Tony.

Edited by tonybonneyba
Spelling mistake & not having T in "it".