MK3 Scrapping

Rate this topic

Killucan2

The company scrapping them are based in the north so it saves having to transport them on the back of a truck up the M1 like all the ones in Dundalk were.

Also Thomas doesn't have a licence to scarp down south. But what doesn't make sence to me is, why cut up in Belfast if Thomas is closer to ballymena? As ballymena has a PW yard which can hold the amount of mk3s coming as well as what is already there.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah set 1 to set 6 are fitted with TPWS and AWS for use on NIR. They are also unique not showing the Irish Rail "Tricolour" logo icon beside the "Irish Rail, Iarnrod Eireann" text due to controversial reasons if they run across the border as far as i know.

I wonder if these are the sets that TNIR are thinking of "taking off there hands as they have too many not getting use"?

• 3 weeks later...

They stared chopping at Northwall before any were scrapped at Belfast. The Mk3 cut in half and the half on it's side have been left like that for a few months now. Interesting to see some CPWs there.

Great shots of 077 "saving" the last of the Mk3s, one hopes.

Edited by Railer

Heirflick I'd say you only barely missed DVT 6105 and a rake of mk3s being transferred to Inchicore behind 077. "The Irish Mainline" on Youtube took these shots for me on my camera today so all credit goes to him for the shots. [ATTACH=CONFIG]14011[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14012[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14013[/ATTACH]

What will they do with these one wonders? Myby a HSTT? (High Speed Test Train).

Heirflick I'd say you only barely missed DVT 6105 and a rake of mk3s being transferred to Inchicore behind 077.

well f..k it anyway! that would have been a nice video to have....oh well, thanks for posting the pics of the move gm:tumbsup:

Railer -thanks for the info, was wondering about the cpws myself...pushed out of the way or for scrapping?

Great shots of 077 "saving" the last of the Mk3s, one hopes.

One hopes, is a very apt thought!

I sense there's more than a sense of apprehension amongst most members here, as to their eventual fate. I try to hope that they will be saved but there's always this nagging doubt that the money from scrapping them will prove too much of a draw to Irish Rail in the current climate, rather than waiting for eventual buyers or use as a test train, etc.

What will they do with these one wonders? Myby a HSTT? (High Speed Test Train).

Probably getting preserved. There is always talk that the ITG are getting 6105. Apparently 6105 was getting some treatment in Inchicore and is due to return to North Wall.

Does anyone if this is a ex mk3?? Seen in whitehead, June/July 2013

Not an ex-Mk.3, as it is still a Mk.3, if you follow me? RPSI bought a Mk.3 sleeper, 10651, from the UK for use as accommodation for volunteers at Whitehead. It is due to be refurbished as part of the GROW works this year, I believe.

The Mk.3's being hauled from North Wall to Inchicore are some of the so-called VSOE coaches, with 6105 acting as brake van as there's nothing else. Should be at least one more run to/from North Wall to collect the rest, at some point.

As Killucan has previously stated in this thread, 6105/6402 are intended for preservation. Not by ITG though.

Edited by BSGSV
Updated with number

i know its too late but if other railways are refurbishing them - why couldnt IE? i know, i know...railcars are the way forward ete and blah blah. heres a report from the UK by Railwaygazette....

'On May 28 Chiltern Railways put into service the first of four rakes of Mk III coaches that are being heavily refurbished and equipped with sliding plug doors.

Deployed on London Marylebone - Birmingham Moor Street services, the Mk IIIs are marshalled between a Class 67 locomotive and a Driving Van Trailer equipped with an auxiliary generator.

Next to each DVT is a GFW car inherited from the Wrexham & Shropshire fleet which has 30 seats in 1+2 formation. This is the 'Business Zone' with a small buffet counter, and a supplement is collected on board for use of these seats. The other four cars have 2+2 seating but with 72 seats in the two TSO cars and only 69 seats in the two TSOL cars equipped with an accessible lavatory.'

heres the link for the full report - http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/passenger/single-view/view/chiltern-railways-puts-refurbished-mk-iii-coaches-into-service.html

Here's an idea for Iarnód Éireann, convert 8-10 mk3s into a royal train for "high ups" or important people as when the G8 (I think that's what it was) all the important people had to travel by bus, meaning no buffet car, no 1st + / city gold and no toilet facitlys. Where as ( let's say the queen ) visits Belfast & decides while she's on the island of Ireland, she wants too visit cork & Dublin, instead of wasting money on planes & land rovers when they can travel by train, a royal train. What do you think of that idea? ;)

Do you not think it's a bit late in the day for that? Of course in an enlightened organisation this might have happened but not in a moribund, past its sell by date, dinosaur like CIE/IE. Also a tourist type train could have been another venture but our ex.Transport & Tourism Minister was too busy jockeying for position in FG to pay much attention to his brief.

A guy in marks models once told me that a guy from England will being buying some coaches & locos from Irish Rail & will be converting them to be used as a Pullman train to go on long rail tours all across the island of Ireland, at the cost of between €500-€1000 per ticket. If this is true, may that man hurry up and save some mk3s.