Irish Railway Trivia

Rate this topic

Glenderg

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hardwood objects are splints that were carried in the first aid kits on Cravens

I couldnt believe it when you told me about these yokes. The very idea that cravens would smash into bits and the guard would call "break out the splinters" no matter the injuries suffered, is a joke beyond belief. Was this another crackpot Bulleid notion, with Holy water in the first aid box too?;)

Was this another crackpot Bulleid notion, with Holy water in the first aid box too?;)

From 1935 GSR appendix to the Working Timetable these are the 1st Aid Box contents:

1 x set splints

2 x tourniquets

2 x 2oz packets Boric Lint

1 x tin cotton wool

6 x triang. bandages

6 x 3in roll bandages

6 x finger bandages

3 x tampons (!?)

1 x jar Boric ointment and spreader

1 x jar Friars Balsam

1 x bottle Boracic Crystals

1 x tin plaster

1 x pair scissors

1 x kidney basin

1 x box safety pins

2 x bundles tape

The 1st aid kit would have mainly been for the slips trips falls sort of incident and medical emergencies with passengers and potentially more serious with railway staff. In the days before mobile communication there was no way of contacting Train Control or the Emergency Services, guard and checker would have been expected to provide 1st aid or deal with a medical emergency until the train arrived at its next scheduled stop

Oh my. I thought I'd picked an easy one lads!

OK, time for another clue.

It shared its name with a much larger station in the UK, though that had an extra letter on the end in the form of an 'E'.

So, to re-cap:

On which tramway was the station known locally as 'Charlie Allens'?

Its narrow gauge and although it said station on ordnance survey maps it was in fact a halt.

And it shared its name with a much larger station in the UK, though that had an extra letter on the end in the form of an 'E'.

How about Crew on the Castlederg and Victoria Bridge line.

Yes, Crew on C & VBT.

You are both correct! I bet it was the last clue that helped...

What line had freight wagons that could also run on road?

Would this be the Bessbrook and Newry Electric Tramway by any chance?

Indeed, Garfield; not bad for a gentleman of a rural disposition! ;-)

The D & B brought cattle trucks down from de hills late in the evening. The D & B locomotive would leave the wagons on a siding outside their terminus in Terenure, where at night a DUTC steeple-cab electric loco (they had two) would collect them and bring them over the DUTC system to the docks, or to Smithfield. Sand traffic traversed the streets at night in wagons. The D & B had a sand pit up in the hills from which sand was taken into Dublin. This traffic was prevalent about a century ago, but had dwindled to a trickle before the line shut in the early 1930s.

The D & B terminus yard at Terenure was "under the wires" to enable the DUTC electric locos to bumble about within the environs... but they could not venture any further. The D & B had covered vans, cattle trucks, and opens. The open wagons couls also be fitted with temporary wooden lath sides to convert them for cattle traffic as well. The main source of such traffic was Blessington Fair.