Irish Railway Trivia

Rate this topic

Glenderg

Camden Fort is not on Haulbowline, but about 2 miles south east of Crosshaven which is part of the mainland. To my knowledge there was never a rail line on Haulbowline.

The Irish Steel Plant on Haulbowline was served by a 4' 8½" gauge rail line. Motive power was provided by a Galway-built Unilok locomotive and the rolling stock consisted of ex-US railroad flat cars and gondolas. I remember one of the gondolas still bearing the colour scheme and name of the Lehigh Railroad.

The naval base on Haulbowline island was served by a narrow gauge railway (not sure of gauge but it was quite narrow) network that was reasonably extensive. I think the IRRS had an item about it in one of its Journals some time back. I'll see if I can dig it out.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well they have listed it in their 2014 network statement. Disused platforms don't seem to be listed except for grand canal dock which is down as not yet available.

Ok, I’ll accept that IÉ has the loop platform listed, but it can’t be used as a platform as there is no bridge to it. That is why one of the Limerick-Ballybrophy services in the last timetable ran through Roscrea without stopping as the main platform was occupied by a train going towards Limerick.

Talking of the 2014 IÉ Network Statement. I see that the photo on the front cover is of a train of cement bubbles heading towards North Wall. Not the most up to date photo!

Rooskey Harbour Railway short lived line in the 1990s locos and stock went to the Arigna Mining Experience. Dromad short 2' demonstration line for ex ESB Ardnacrusha Hudson Hunslets, drove a loco on it once, not sure if that could be described as passenger carrying:)

Edited by Mayner

Given the number of industrial/private entries in "Irish Industrial and Contractors' Locomotives" (Union Publications, 1962, with amendments in a following IRRS Journal) there have been about 30 lines of 2-foot gauge in the 32 counties, and that's not counting Bord na Mona's contribution.