Stored locos

Rate this question

Sulzer201

Question

Hello everyone, hope you all had a great Christmas and wishing you an equally great and prosperous New Year. Just a few questions I was pondering on; would anyone know are there any remaining 141/181/121 classes stored in Inchicore or anywhere else on the IE system? Is there a 141/181 loco still available for shunting or pilot duties in Inchichore/Hueston?, and have a pair of 121s been set aside for preservation - do they remain in a pair and are they still in running condition?. Finally, are there any members of the MV classes As or Cs remaining at Inchicore? Many thanks for your patience and replies.

34 answers to this question

There is certainly a few 141s kicking about Inchicore. Some are being used on Pilot duties. There was one 121 too, at least until quite recently. You can spot them as you pass on the train but they do move around a bit. I don't think there's any Metrovicks around there any more, but I couldn't say for certain.

There hasn't been a working 141 class on IE for well over a year. 171 was the last one used in Inchicore, but not now used. Google maps satellite view was updated of late and shows six 141's and a lot of stored 201's as it was in the summer of this year. The photos above are about six and a half years old now.

Regarding the 121s, 124 has been preserved by the ITG and is currently stored at Moyasta, while 134 is still at Inchicore and is due to be acquired by the RPSI.

There are no Metro Vicks at Inchicore now. A3r, 015 and C231 are at Moyasta, A55 is in Hell's Kitchen pub in Castlerea, A39 is at the Downpatrick & Co Down Railway, and C227 is in a sorry state in a yard in Waterford.

Edited by Garfield

Regarding the 121s, 124 has been preserved by the ITG and is currently stored at Moyasta, while 134 is still at Inchicore and is due to be acquired by the RPSI.

There are no Metro Vicks at Inchicore now. A3r, 015 and C231 are at Moyasta, A55 is in Hell's Kitchen pub in Castlerea, A39 is at the Downpatrick & Co Down Railway, and C227 is in a sorry state in a yard in Waterford.

And 226 being restored at Carrick on Suir!

Im somewhat inclined to agree. The RPSI seem quite anti diesel. I understand that steam makes more money, but some heritage diesels would be great

I wouldn't go as far as calling them anti-diesel, more that IE, insurance and possibly lack of enthusiast interest will scupper running them. As much as I would love to see a couple of Baby GMs double heading some specials personally.

175 is the 3rd 141 class loco to be acquired by the RPSI. All 4 small GM's are intended for mainline use eventually, but the core market is still for mammy and daddy who want a steam loco on the front of their train. Tough, but reality. Gotta maintain an income. Diesel enthusiasts do nothing but whinge and their support alone is not enough to support the RPSI

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11033[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11034[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11035[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11036[/ATTACH]

A couple of Aerial shots of Inchicore..

You can explore yourself at this link http://www.bing.com/maps/#Y3A9NTkuNjkxMzE1fi0xNS44MjYxMTQmbHZsPTUmc3R5PXImcT1pbmNoaWNvcmUlMjUyQyUyNTIwZHVibGlu

I reckon those pics were taken 2007ish, judging by the Cravens awaiting scrapping and A39 being in the midst of its repaint from silver to black. Not a black 071 to be seen.

It's only the Heritage set that's going to Heuston for storage. Cravens will still be based at Inchicore for time being.

Interesting,thanks for the update. By the sound of the Rail Express snippet it looked like Heuston would be the new RPSI base in the Dublin area. Be interesting to see how it pans out.

Interesting,thanks for the update. By the sound of the Rail Express snippet it looked like Heuston would be the new RPSI base in the Dublin area. Be interesting to see how it pans out.

Haven't seen Rail Express recently but no it's a temporary storage solution for the RPSI heritage rake. As members will know from RPSI newsletter there is a committee looking towards the goal of establishing a proper base in the Dublin area but obviously easier said than done!

So if anybody is looking to give away large a rail accessible site in the Dublin area I'm sure the RPSI would love to hear from you!

There will be a load of free siding space in Northwall when all the Mk3s are scrapped, not a very secure site though. There is the valet plant in Connolly, only one road of that is used at night to stable an Enterprise set, think the other road is always free. It was used to stable the Sligo Mk2 set and then the backup Cravens set back in the day. Doubt IE would let them use it though.

It hasn't been out on the mainline for a few years now sure it hasn't?

2011 last time it was out I think. The is a video on youtube of an 071 hauling down Newcomen Junction from Connolly.

Actually it was 073 in 2010.

Do the RPSI still have the older maroon rake of coaches, don't what they are exactly I've only even seen photos of them. They look like LMS style coaches.

Edited by Railer

2011 last time it was out I think. The is a video on youtube of an 071 hauling down Newcomen Junction from Connolly.

Actually it was 073 in 2010.

Do the RPSI still have the older maroon rake of coaches, don't what they are exactly I've only even seen photos of them. They look like LMS style coaches.

There's some LMS NCC stock at Whitehead, some of which is used on train rides within the site. 68 was overhauled not long ago http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/photonews/110608/index.html#68

They also refurbished diner 87 recently. Whitehead has other vehicles of GNR(I) and GSWR origin.

The Dublin based Heritage set is a mixture of 2 CIÉ Laminates, 2 CIÉ Park Royals, a CIÉ 24xx series diner, a GNR(I) diner, a GSR Bredin side corridor, a GNR(B) Brake 3rd, a GSWR side corridor and also obviously GSWR State Saloon 351.

Last outing of a Heritage vehicle so far was Park Royal 1419 on the 2010 Santas.

Just for the record, 87 is a UTA coach, built in 1951, several years after the NCC ceased to exist. The RPSI has tended to paint it in NCC livery to match the others, but it would never have worn maroon paint in traffic. Green until nir days, then maroon and grey for the last few years of its life.

While a UTA vehicle, it's design owed much to NCC styling, as this is what York Road's drawing boards would have been used to.

Im somewhat inclined to agree. The RPSI seem quite anti diesel. I understand that steam makes more money, but some heritage diesels would be great

They aren't anti-diesel as such, UP; the paying public are. There is a considerable body of interest in diesels within the RPSI membership, but the hard reality is the public want steam, and the enthusiast market is commercially speaking extremely limited; this was always the case even with steam.

Enthusiasts talk a lot but won't generally put their hand deep enough into their pockets to maintain all they want. The general public are there in sufficent numbers to do so.....

Good god, there is an eighteen bay engine shed, along with original water tower sitting idle in connolly. And the battery shed beside it. Neither of which are ever going to see active service. Ideal spot for th RPSI.

I think you'd be pushing your luck trying to squeeze 18 locos into Connolly shed - nine is probably the maximum (three roads with three locos on each). Anyhow, IÉ plan to refurbish the shed and relocate the CTC centre into it. The existing CTC building is becoming too cramped. While I haven't heard a definitive timescale for this project, I doubt if the company would be anxious to let the RPSI have the shed long term. And the RPSI would also need somewhere to store their carriages under cover.