it's time I called it a day

Rate this topic

Riversuir226

With a heavy heart I will be leaving the forum tonight, many thanks for all the helpful advice I have received from new and old members alike, the forum used to be fun but things have changed and not in a good way. We came here from the old sites with promises of good things but to be honest it's worse. So it's time for me to go

With a heavy heart I will be leaving the forum tonight, many thanks for all the helpful advice I have received from new and old members alike, the forum used to be fun but things have changed and not in a good way. We came here from the old sites with promises of good things but to be honest it's worse. So it's time for me to go

Hi Tom,

Very sorry to see you go. Always enjoyed your contributions and your sense of humour. The door is always open to come back and if you want to discuss the issues you feel are occurring that you feel are affecting things please feel free to contact any of the mod team and we'd be happy to work to improve things. We're always looking for feedback from members.

All I will say is that it's worth remembering that there are two sides to every story.

Cheers,

Fran

Two sides to what story??

My decision is from me, not based on any friendship or stories, my laptop is out of action so I ve to rely on my phone, it's a bit hard to type not to mention post pics up, I ve three young kids plus a time consuming career plus I'm back on the road. I ve also a project which if comes to fruitition you ll all like.

Two sides to what story??

My decision is from me, not based on any friendship or stories, my laptop is out of action so I ve to rely on my phone, it's a bit hard to type not to mention post pics up, I ve three young kids plus a time consuming career plus I'm back on the road. I ve also a project which if comes to fruitition you ll all like.

Fair enough Tom, it's just that you said that things were getting worse in your view, I just misunderstood you. It can be tough juggling family life and the hobby as well as a career. Best of luck with it and we look forward to seeing the project.

All the best.

With a heavy heart I will be leaving the forum tonight, it's time for me to go

TOM - dont make any hasty decisions...take a break but dont call it a day. you have too much to offer the site that would benefit us all. the fun does seem to be dying a bit, but as you know and im sure everyone else does, the bit of crack is what made this site so uniquely IRISH!....and the serious modelling still gets done! talk soon, seamus

Tom, I'm in the same position as yourself in terms of the pressures of everyday life and free time seems to be non-existent at the moment. However I always enjoy dipping in and out of the forum when I can. Some times it's just looking, or for reference. More often, even though I'm not modelling at the moment or have a big layout on the go, I'll try and make a few contributions and add to the banter. And on rare occasions when I've had a few free hours I'll try and post up a few pics of my efforts (normally a kit bashing effort that ends up stuck to my fingers and/or my workbench!) And sometimes I might not get on here for a couple of months.

My point is this. It's a free forum for what is a very small community. It caters for all skill levels, so if one is looking for a community of rivet counters and fine scale building only, then this is not just the place.

Being an Internet forum, you have a mix of people who may now each other in 'real life', those of us who know each other from the site itself, and the usual 1 to 2% of 'Internet trolls' that are on all Internet based forums. Again, being a small Irish site, the craic and the banter naturally comes and goes, and I certainly feel it has the right balance. However, the Mods do on occasion have to step in and regulate. What might be take as a bit of craic by one member ( maybe because they are known personally) might be taken up wrongly elsewhere.

You say 'we came here from the old sites with promises of good things but to be honest it's worse'. You obviously had different expectations of how the site would work or the direction it would take, and that is fair enough.

When I see posts like this I always remind people that the site is run, moderated (and funded) by a small few people, giving their own free time to do it. Forums will come and go and can only be as good as what the members make of them in terms of input, content and contributions, and I certainly have valued Riversuirs contributions.

It's a hobby at the end of the day, and a half hour at your workbench after a ***** week, with a can of brew, single lightbulb and a little plug in heater, fumes from various paints, solvents and glues giving you a better buzz than any head-shop, and a vast array of body shells, kits, bogies all spread out in front of you, 20 started projects and not one finished.... That to me is what it's all about.

And personally, its nice to have the IRM forum open on the laptop in the background, to reassure me that there are a handful of other nutters up at midnight doing the exact same thing!

Well said Dave!=D

Here, here... I second that.

Balancing time constraints, Hobby, funds, career etc... is difficult. I dip in and out of the forum myself... occasionally contributing when I have something to show for myself! And that's fine, that's what suits right now.

I for one will miss your contributions Riversuir. Always inspiring, hats off to anyone who tackles a scratchbuild. I do hope all is well and if you ever do decide to come back, you'll be more than welcome.

Best Regards dude.

Tom.

Hi Riversur226

I second what dave182 says;

I have been watching forums for many years and only recently started to contribute in the past year or two. The workbench area of the IRM site is my favourite, I watch this area and glean tips n tricks on all manner of projects and it inspires me in my own- your workbench thread included.... - I was delighted when you upgraded the camera!

In my opinion- you have weaved many threads through this site, you made comment, prompted answers and discussions, you have been a major contributor to what it is.

I hope you keep a bit of an eye on things here, and that we will see your signature here again....

murrayec

It's a hobby at the end of the day, and a half hour at your workbench after a ***** week, with a can of brew, single lightbulb and a little plug in heater, fumes from various paints, solvents and glues giving you a better buzz than any head-shop, and a vast array of body shells, kits, bogies all spread out in front of you, 20 started projects and not one finished.... That to me is what it's all about.

And personally, its nice to have the IRM forum open on the laptop in the background, to reassure me that there are a handful of other nutters up at midnight doing the exact same thing!

Very well said Dave, beginning to think you're the IRM yoda! Not the first time you've posted such a sage account of what this forum's all about. :tumbsup: R.

Pity you feel that way,I was looking forward to seeing your scratch build for the cement bubbles to see if it was something I could do myself.With regards the forum,dave182 has hit the nail on the head,but it can only be a success by contributions from members.The forum has many different sub divisions that cater for a wide variety of topics,so I think there is something there for everyone,personally,the layout and workbench threads have enough content to hold my interest and even prevent me from getting on with modelling at times!

Mod note: Folks, I'm sure you've noticed we've been highlighting our updated rules and guidelines. Please take a look at them before posting anything which could be considered inflammatory, or indeed responding to posts of that nature. Thanks!

(PS: two posts removed)

Edited by Garfield