Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

The happy days before track permits! Look at the two jokers on the tender….according to Galteemore snr, it was standing room only on the tender that trip. Lovely winter sunshine at Stranorlar too, which my dad also liked - he managed two trips in 59 before it shut. Looks like an ex Ballymena coach at stage left 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

I note the Great Northern Railway has a mixture of inside and outside keys on their track.  For those with an interest in such matters look at the sixth sleeper to the North of the Telegraph Pole. The keys toward the Station change to inside keys there. The point is a mixture of inside and outside keys.

A pleasant reminder too of the articulated railcars. They look as if they are F and G? I note they both carry the white tail square, which I believe noted the rear of a train.  I remenber, with fondness, my excursions to Howth or Sutton on the GNR railcars, and then, a trip on the Hill Trams.  The sounds of the Trolley passing beneath the wire, the clank of the wheels passing over the DUT and GNR Crossing at Sutton Cross and the removal of the trolley from the overhead as one decended from the top of the Hill toward Howth Station. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

43 minutes ago, Joe Keegan said:

The station reminds me of just outside Newcastle West heading for Castleisland.

In the old days, just as you got over the long drive to the top of the hill driving towards Castleisland the station was in the cutting to your right hand side.

I think you are probably referring to Barnagh but this station was still open to goods in 1963 and the above photos have a footbridge indicating that it had at one time a passing loop. This was Barnagh

v_Barnagh16may63

30 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

The dereliction is clearly well advanced by 1963, suggesting a closure some considerable time before. Blackrock on the C B and P ? 

I'm thinking its somewhere in County Cork and an early closure too.

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 3

Think it must be Blackrock - and plans are afoot in Cork to restore the footbridge. The red brick station building can be seen in both the historic and contemporary photos, even if greenery has camouflaged much else.

https://www.corkcity.ie/en/council-services/news-room/press-releases/work-to-begin-on-blackrock-station-refurbishment.htmlimage.jpeg.4e939826603f24d80a8bf17829dfa863.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore

2 hours ago, Galteemore said:

The dereliction is clearly well advanced by 1963, suggesting a closure some considerable time before. Blackrock on the C B and P ? 

It is Blackrock. This would have been just under 30 years after closure I have a photo of Ballymartle which taken a similar time after it’s closure and it looks much the same 

Of course this is now part of the passage greenway and could become part of the “Cork Luas”

2AA7026B-D617-4A85-83C7-70631781ACD1.thumb.jpeg.cdbe78d076ff7c60c28ca1837ae31c2c.jpeg

Edited by Westcorkrailway
  • Like 4
  • Informative 1

Wonder why the CDRJC trains always seemed to cross on the "wrong lines" at Castlefinn?

A westbound railcar is to be seen on the right, with the eastbound goods on the left. The customs had a table on the westbound side, which is the only reason I can think of - but passenger trains used the other platform too.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 12:08 PM, Westcorkrailway said:

It is Blackrock. This would have been just under 30 years after closure I have a photo of Ballymartle which taken a similar time after it’s closure and it looks much the same 

Of course this is now part of the passage greenway and could become part of the “Cork Luas”

2AA7026B-D617-4A85-83C7-70631781ACD1.thumb.jpeg.cdbe78d076ff7c60c28ca1837ae31c2c.jpeg

Sadly, if it becomes a greenway, we can kiss goodbye to any C.Luas..... once the Lycra Taliban get their greenways, nothing will shift them.

Re. Ballymartle & the Passage line in terms of closures - the Kinsale branch was the first line to be targetted by the GSR for economy - in 1930. The Cork, Blackrock & Passage line closed in 1932, the Crosshaven extension a few months before the rest of it. Even then, it was missed.

1 hour ago, connollystn said:

The photograph of the trams at Sutton awaiting scrappage is certainly a very sad sight.

It was intended these three tramcars be preserved. They were stored at Sutton for this purpose. Unfortunately, vandals destroyed them.

The Pullman Car, Luxury Car, the most modern looking of the three was refurbished in the GNR sheds prior to it use as a static Information Office during the, 1953, An Tóstal festival in Dublin.  It was positioned on the North side of Nelson Pillar.  (See it at 2minutes 44 seconds.) I remember visiting it, and my astonishment that it was there as our Dublin Trams had been withdrawn in July 1949. It was devoid of its internal fixture and fitting, if my memory serves me correctly.

The trams were not brought to this location for scrapping, they were there with the intention of saving them for preservation. The vandals destroyed them and they were eventually buried in an adjacent quarry, as far as I'm aware. I'm open to correction on this point.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Waterford - Old six wheel passenger coaches.

Curiosity got the better of me as far as this photograph is concerned.  I wondered if I might be able to decipher the writing on each of these coaches?

"Curiosity killed the Cat, Information made him Fat,"  that is, according to my Maternal Grandmother, born in 1887.  For anyone interested!

Coach to left of picture -

No 32A - ACCIDENT VAN - GSWR - LOCO DEPT - CORK - 32A

Coach to right of picture -

Left side of photograph - WATERFORD

I cannot decipher to writing to on the right hand side of the Coach, but, suspect it is WATERFORRD!

Ernie, again, thank you for your photographs. Please take care of your health.

Best wishes,

Old Blarney.

z180 CIE 1961-01-13 Waterford

Edited by Old Blarney
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have finally finished sorting out the late TE Rounthwaite's negatives and have acquired for my labours nearly 500 . Unfortunately for Ireland there are only 2 out of over 4000 images however these are of some interest although there are no details on the prints.

I think No 59 is probably at Londonderry Waterside and I believe it was rebuilt in 1924 so prior to then.

The second is U2 No 81 which was built 1925 , any ideas on the location - I'm thinking Portrush and the loco is partly on a turntable.

Ideas anyone?

NCC 1924 pre Londonderry Waterside 59 TER001 NCC 1925 ca 81TER002

• Like 4

Looks like you’re right on both Ernie. Looks like Derry city in backdrop of pic 1. Classic 1930s boarding house background in pic 2 suggests Portrush. The table here was a fair way out near Metropole Corner and I think may still slumber under the weeds. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1