Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

37 minutes ago, connollystn said:

Once again great pictures from irishswissernie, this is my favourite thread (except when IRM announce a new model). Have never been to Youghal but the station seems to be some distance from the town - is there a reason for this? Love the photos of trains on the streets of Cork, did any other city/town have trains (not trams) operating on their' streets?

Youghal is close enough to the town in my opinion. If you ever do go there there is a fair gradient and curve up into the town from the station so it’s fair enough 

Wierd to think there were trains on cork city’s streets in supertrain days…

6 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

Sligo shed 7 Sept 1955, 121 plus the bunker of either Lough Melvin or Lough Erne on the left.

Next Cork Albert Quay with 701 arriving on a transfer freight from Glanmire Road 13 Jan 1961

Last view, Strabane with Phoenix shunting the transfer sidings 4 December 1959.

CIE 1955-09-07 Sligo shed 121 L Marshall CBSCa 1961-01-13 Cork Albert Quay 701 arrives on a transfer goods from Glanmire Rd. 015 CDRJC 1959-12-04 Strabane(1)

It looks like 701, but it is most certainly 201

immaculate photo

Nice. Clearly visible on the Sligo tank is the famous brass plate declaring the engine to be the property of Beyer Peacock, as the SLNC couldn’t stump up the cash! The engine is freshly coaled - probably about to work the mid morning goods to Enniskillen - returning that night on the 7:20 ‘mixed’.

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

Ernie,  Nice to see the photo of Guinness'.  Went to school in James' Street in the heart of the brewery and it's good to see the unfinished spire of the church in James' Street in the background.  Tara Street and Georges Quay is a very early stages work in progress at WR&A at the minute, so keep the photos coming.  Great photos.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Lisburn 15 Sept 1959 U Class 200

Hi Ernie,

Excellent stuff as always. The Roy Dennison photo is captioned "Friday 15th May 1959" in The Great Northern Railway (Ireland) in Colour. Again Chris Gamell was in Roy's company as his photo of the same train featured on the cover of the IRRS Journal a few years back. Norman Johnston presumed it to be a Belfast-Newry service. The locomotive was by this date officially UTA No. 65 but had yet to be renumbered.

On 7/4/2022 at 8:00 AM, Irishswissernie said:

Mullingar 8 June 1961, 3 views taken during the RCTS/SLS/IRRS Joint Irish Tour.

CIE 1961-06-08 Mullingar (5) CIE 1961-06-08 Mullingar (7) CIE 1961-06-08 Mullingar (6)

Beautiful stuff... there's something very handsome and sturdy looking about the MGWR locos, more is the pity one didn't survive.

12 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

It is probably 53 which survived to closure, one of 3, 52-54 described as having 2 third class compartments at one end and one at the other (52 and 54 scrapped 1952) Oldbury 1907 built for the Strabane & Letterkenny railway.

53 would have been my second guess from the expanded picture.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Edo said:

A8......looks like Clonmel to me 

I don't think its Clonmel, the individual stones on the parapet are different. On the A8 view they are in pretty regular lines whereas in this Graham Roose view (21 October 1995) which I have found in the pending tray the Clonmel parapet stone are irregular small pieces.  The platform also looks wider.

IR 1995-10-21 Clonmel 084 G Roose

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

I don't think its Clonmel, the individual stones on the parapet are different. On the A8 view they are in pretty regular lines whereas in this Graham Roose view (21 October 1995) which I have found in the pending tray the Clonmel parapet stone are irregular small pieces.  The platform also looks wider.

IR 1995-10-21 Clonmel 084 G Roose

Indeed - Clonmel has a stone wall on the right, but that pic above has a dark brick wall - so - maybe somewhere on the main line closer to Dublin? The photo is taken from a GSWR coach, and one like it is in the approaching train. A reasonably new "A" will certainly be on a main line - probably the Cork line.

• Agree 1