Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

12 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Ex GNRI 19 Dec 1959 . The slides are captioned 'Last Day Special' for Castleblaney & Carrickmacross.

Yes, an IRRS special to travel over the remaining INWR lines that were still open on that date. The lines were officially closed 12 days later. John Langford is is somewhere in the second photo.

Edited by Lambeg man
  • Like 2

Always thought "Sambo" looked like something that has been made up by a modeller out of a few non-matching, non-related bits (not necessarily of the same scale!) which were lying about in the bottom of the "spares" box..... in reality, its origins are believed to have been exactly that!

Mind you, it would make an excellent loco for a line like the DCDR.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Interesting! Shows how tenders could swap around - that’s not a ‘typical’ J15 tender. There’s some fascinating photos out there of a PP scuttling round the Irish North c1957 coupled to a UG tender, which looks most unusual. Image by JJ Smith.

Also a very nicely composed shot at Bawnboy Road. That platform at left is a very tempting project !

2E6074D3-B374-4BFD-BBEF-094CDAFE5074.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore

On 17/3/2022 at 8:06 AM, Galteemore said:

Interesting! Shows how tenders could swap around - that’s not a ‘typical’ J15 tender. There’s some fascinating photos out there of a PP scuttling round the Irish North c1957 coupled to a UG tender, which looks most unusual. Image by JJ Smith.

Also a very nicely composed shot at Bawnboy Road. That platform at left is a very tempting project !

2E6074D3-B374-4BFD-BBEF-094CDAFE5074.jpeg

Bundoran Junction?

Stephen

Wonderful stuff. A railtour over this line in 59 was my dad’s first big railway trip. Knockloughrim is - or was until recently - fairly intact under modern additions!  I have vague memories of it looking as it did in 59. The goods shed at Toome has an almost Far North of Scotland look.

6B08D4E3-6229-4D94-8FA6-B65F5303FA4D.png

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 3

These are sensational Ernie, sadly Toome & Castledawson have been completely erased but Knockloughrim thankfully remains.  Three of your best photos yet, in colour too, than you for sharing these.

Note the similarity of Toome & Castledawson stations to the design of the thankfully extant stations in Randalstown & Magherafelt.

Edited by Patrick Davey
  • Agree 1

On 15/3/2022 at 8:09 AM, Galteemore said:

Spectacular stuff. And much of that line still slumbering under its cover of greenery and debris. Lovely top photo with siding suggests a nice micro layout fed by cassettes either side 

Its being lifted, probably most if not all of it done by now, for the by now ubiquitous "greenway".

20200223_100518.jpg

• Informative 1

45 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

Just to add to the set I knew I had a JG Dewing image of the Cookstown goods at Randalstown both in black & white and in colour. The colour view hasn't been uploaded due to computer problems earlier this year so hear it is. 7 May 1959 together with his b&w shot.

NCC 1959-05-07 Randalstown 13 on Cookstown goods JGDewing NCC 1959-05-07 Randalstown, 13 on Cookstown Goods JGD591103

To a young fella like myself. There is simply no comparison between B/W and colour. The atmosphere is much easier for my imagination to capture

call that a sin if you will! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

Cookstown is the description on JG Dewings slide but he probably means Cookstown Junction as the train appears to be heading  in that direction and in various publications this view of the train is described as the Kilrea Goods.

Yes that’s what I’d figure. Very healthy traffic that day! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Cookstown is the description on JG Dewings slide but he probably means Cookstown Junction as the train appears to be heading  in that direction and in various publications this view of the train is described as the Kilrea Goods.

He must do, yes, that makes sense.