Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

Thanks Guys, well I had my bag packed for a stay over the New Year festivities but after (for me)  a record passage through Cramlington A&E/Ambulatory Care of 4 hours 25 minutes and 32 seconds - not that I was counting; I have been returned to Haltwhistle pending a further scan at Hexham Hospital tomorrow and a visit to the Doctors on friday. I also have a bagful of Antibiotics.

12 minutes ago, Rush and Lusk said:

Photography is also one of my varied interests.

Can I ask what process you use for converting a slide image to a digital format ? - Your post of November 15, - 138 at Clonmel in 1960 is of excellent quality.  

Thanks,

Give me a few hours to recover George and I shall reply. That slide of 138 at Clonmel taken by John Dewing is of superb quality to start with - which was half or more of the 'battle'

• Like 6

Ernie

Glad to see that they didn't keep you in and hope that the treatment is successful.

John Dewing, a photographer of considerable note, left a note to the effect that the IRRS should have the use of his Irish collection of photographs, which Mrs  Beryl Dewing handsomely incorporated in the agreement when the collection was sold to the Transport Library. Hence other photos of his which have appeared in the Journal recently, brilliantly presented by Ciaran Cooney.

John was a delight to chat to over a pint (after IRRS London meetings). I was delighted to use his photo of No.133 entering Cahirciveen as the Frontispiece of Steaming in Three Centuries.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rush and Lusk said:

Can I ask what process you use for converting a slide image to a digital format ?

3 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

I have been returned to Haltwhistle pending a further scan at Hexham Hospital tomorrow

He gets them done at Hexham Hospital.      PIMP

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

On 15/12/2021 at 11:15 AM, Irishswissernie said:

A fair amount of negatives etc arrived whilst I was sampling Hospital hospitality and I am gradually working through them. There are approx 180 negs taken by the Roy Dennison and the CDRJC slides may also have been his work.

CDRJC 1960-06-xx Barnesmore Gap

CDRJC 1960-06-xx Strabane, these 2 post closure but before track lifting etc completed.

CIE 1958-06-03 Valencia Harbour - I've acquired a donkey and cart for Glengarriff - just needs painting!

CDRJC 1960-06-xx Barnesmore Gap CDRJC 1960-06-xx Strabane z106 CIE 1958-06-03 Valencia Harbour

The observant may have noticed that the tracks on the former Letterkenny line already been lifted so that the replacement bus service can use the former railway bridge to gain access to County Donegal.

Stephen

The Authorities discovered after they had approved the closure of the CDR that the road bridge over the river connecting Strabane to LIfford was too weak to carry replacement lorries and  buses

So for that reason for about Jan/Feb 1960 CDR kept running freight trains from Strabane to Stranorlar. The Letterkenny line over the river bridge to Lifford only was lifted as they were planned to convert this into a new road bridge as a temporary solution. This left Phoenix and Erne to.carry out the lifting on the Letterkenny branch.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

When looking at the NLI Collections  I spotted this one uploaded on 23 December under the title Woo Hoo Choo Choo!. A superb view of Bantry taken by Fergus O'Connor with the prototype of the OOWorks 0-6-0st on show. The signal box roof appears to still being slated. Click on the image to enlarge, you can even read the wagon numbers. Copyright NLI.

WooHoo, Choo Choo, Great View

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Irishswissernie said:

When looking at the NLI Collections  I spotted this one uploaded on 23 December under the title Woo Hoo Choo Choo!. A superb view of Bantry taken by Fergus O'Connor with the prototype of the OOWorks 0-6-0st on show. The signal box roof appears to still being slated. Click on the image to enlarge, you can even read the wagon numbers. Copyright NLI.

WooHoo, Choo Choo, Great View

Cracking photo, there is a an ex-works Pickering photo of 399 an open wagon with tarp rail and raised ends apparently intended for grain traffic  in Ernie Shepherds CBSCR book.

Looks like some alterations taking place to the yard.

Whitewashed coal stack on the left?

I think and I can't check this out because Madame is hoovering the stairs in preparation for the rabble er family arriving and access to the Railway Room is prohibited; that the railway was extended from the terminus on to a railway pier with platform for passengers and track alterations were made to accommodate this as can be seen by the odd track formations by the loco. Late 1890's/early 1900's I think. I will confirm this when the route to the railway room re-opens.

• Like 3

From Ernie Shepherd's CBSC book. 1903 work to lower the siding on to the railway pier to facilitate wagon working and in 1908 permission received to back passenger trains on to the pier to assist in the transfer of steamer passengers.  Board of Trade would require siding to be interlocked with signalling for passenger trains I would have thought.

• Like 2