Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

Happy New Year to all our viewers! Ernie's Railway Archive Flickr passed 48 Million all time hits yesterday.

1961-06-07 IRRS Tour Claremorris 588 in trouble.

1961-06-07 Claremorris 588 being removed after failing

1961-06-07 Claremorris 603 replaced failed 588 for the leg to Sligo

1961-06-07 Claremorris 588 in trouble. 1961-06-07 Claremorris 588 being removed after failing 1961-06-07 Claremorris 603 replaced failed 588 for the leg to Sligo

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

Back in the day when PW crews had allocated lengths of track to maintain, originally a mile or two, but probably higher in sparsely trafficked areas, an annual prize was awarded for the best maintained length of track in the area. 

There’s photos by Brian baker are taken on that section of track on closing day of the west cork. Clearly well looked after

DF69BA8A-5EA0-4324-B1CE-648CE21E0D70.jpeg.bfe76cebbc88e00749ed4d71b6f9333b.jpeg75F6C73F-F5D3-4CC6-9E81-9B819AA70AF9.jpeg.d992b14fea35889ba54e8f7fcfd83c44.jpeg

• Like 6

I am having to use Madame's ancient lap top as my computer is knackered! All the scans for uploading are on that so there won't be anything new on here until son Alan has fixed it.

Unfortunately Mother in Law who lives  with us has tested positive for Covid so I have retreated to the Loft. Its odds on that I am going to get it as well although I am negative at the moment. The bonus is that I can legitimately concentrate on the layout for the next few days!

I don't think therefore that Alan will wish to venture this way for a few days so normal service may take some time to restore

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

On 16/12/2019 at 7:35 PM, Irishswissernie said:

GNR Leyland Railbus No 2 at Inchicore 23 October 1960.

Sorry to go back over old ground, but I recently bought the "GNR(I) Road Motor Services 1925-1958" book by Sam Simpson. To my surprise and delight the book covers Railbuses as well road vehicles. In the colour section at the rear of the book is a photograph from the Geoff Lumb collection of the Railbus which featured in the GT Robinson photo posted by our host in 2019. The Lumb picture was taken from the other side of the vehicle. It shows it in same overall state of 'distress', but that the other side had the 'new' aluminium skin plates only partially fitted over the original GNR(I) bodywork. The caption states that CIE were in the process of converting No. 2 to a PW Department vehicle. Why CIE was undertaking this exercise with such an elderly vehicle at the time is still of course a mystery. I would doubt the exercise was ever completed, unless of course anyone knows differently? The 'new' photo is not dated specifically, but the book caption agrees that the Railbus is ex-GNR No. 2.

Just to complete the story, here is a photo by Ron Herbert, taken on 22nd October 1961 at Inchicore. It shows the other ex-GNR Railbus that went to CIE, clearly withdrawn from service.

image.png.9adeaa4bfbe63f1882c73d0c1de68fc1.png

Edited by Lambeg man
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lambeg man said:

Sorry to go back over old ground, but I recently bought the "GNR(I) Road Motor Services 1925-1958" book by Sam Simpson. To my surprise and delight the book covers Railbuses as well road vehicles.

Off topic, but this was one of the best books I have read about the GNR(I) - a lot about the how the railway operated, was managed etc. Highly recommended.

Ernie, I hope that you escape the dreaded Virus. Keep away from the "weemen" perhaps?

Leslie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lambeg man said:

Sorry to go back over old ground, but I recently bought the "GNR(I) Road Motor Services 1925-1958" book by Sam Simpson. To my surprise and delight the book covers Railbuses as well road vehicles. In the colour section at the rear of the book is a photograph from the Geoff Lumb collection of the Railbus which featured in the GT Robinson photo posted by our host in 2019. The Lumb picture was taken from the other side of the vehicle. It shows it in same overall state of 'distress', but that the other side had the 'new' aluminium skin plates only partially fitted over the original GNR(I) bodywork. The caption states that CIE were in the process of converting No. 2 to a PW Department vehicle. Why CIE was undertaking this exercise with such an elderly vehicle at the time is still of course a mystery. I would doubt the exercise was ever completed, unless of course anyone knows differently? The 'new' photo is not dated specifically, but the book caption agrees that the Railbus is ex-GNR No. 2.

Just to complete the story, here is a photo by Ron Herbert, taken on 22nd October 1961 at Inchicore. It shows the other ex-GNR Railbus that went to CIE, clearly withdrawn from service.

In that photo of No. 2 / 8177, the cantrail has gone as have several uprights on the side. That vehicle is rotten and only fit for scrap, which is of course what happened! The GNR blue has long fadded away, so it's been out of traffic by the time that photo was taken, by a long time.

The reason they considered converting any railbus was that 8178, which the UTA had inherited, was successfully being used as a civil engineer's "runabout" on the ex-GNR lines in the north, and CIE thought that they might employ one likewise. Wasn't to be - and jhbSenior used (variously) either 8178 or a loco hauling ex-GNR saloon 50 (now in Whitehead) on engineering inspection trips between approx. 1959 and 1962/3. 8178 sat down one time at Goraghwood and was shoved in a siding there until the Warrenpoint line closed and then taken to Witham Street, where it fell to bits before being rebuilt (incorporating many historical inaccuracies, as it happens, but a good job technically) in the 1990s before going under its own power to Cultra from Poyntzpass or somewhere round there.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

8178 sat down one time at Goraghwood and was shoved in a siding there until the Warrenpoint line closed and then taken to Witham Street,

Hi JHB,

The reason 8178 sat at Goraghwood through most of 1963 was because it had burst a tyre. I read somewhere that the UTA managed to locate a spare in Dundalk and repaired it. It was photographed several times in 1964 lying in Grosvenor Road depot, though not apparently in use. - LM

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lambeg man said:

Hi JHB,

The reason 8178 sat at Goraghwood through most of 1963 was because it had burst a tyre. I read somewhere that the UTA managed to locate a spare in Dundalk and repaired it. It was photographed several times in 1964 lying in Grosvenor Road depot, though not apparently in use. - LM

It also had brake problems - I think that's why Senior set it aside. A puncture would certainly not have helped its case either! he said that's why there was a "prop" against it, as far as I remember.

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

he said that's why there was a "prop" against it, as far as I remember.

The puncture would have been in one of the rear wheels as the front ones were solid. As JHB has remarked, in the absence of an effective brake, the "prop" would have been placed to prevent it rolling down the prevailing gradient on that siding. 

Edited by Lambeg man
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The demountable beet was a one-off experiment, albeit one that entered traffic. I saw it in use, in the midst of a train of "ordinary" double-deck beet wagons, at Wellington Bridge in either 2004 or 2005.

The newly painted 150 was at the 1996 Inchicore Open Day, where it briefly displayed a New York piece of "bar memorabilia".......(!)

The brown single deck beet wain with bits sellotaped onto the ends to make it longer....new one to me! Excellent, and rare photo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Scan0003.thumb.jpg.29a6d89a1605c61f376046f0d8e14cad.jpg

The wagons appear to be prototype Beet Wagons using body panels salvaged from the corrugated opens on 20' flat wagons built in the Mid-1960.

I have a CIE drawing of a Beet Double of similar to the wagon in the background titled "Modified Open Goods Wagon Bodies on 20Ton Flat Wagon Underframe for Beet Traffic Mark 3"

The main difference from the wagons in the photos is that the corners are shown slightly rounded on the drawing.

It looks like someone realised that it would be a lot cheaper and quicker to mount the existing wagon bodies with minimal modification on the 20T chassis.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, StevieB said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but 26595 is a former magnesite wagon. There is a picture on this forum of one converted into a hopper wagon. I think it was at Ballinacourty, so presumably it was used for the transport of dolomite.

Stephen

The covered hopper is a Magnesite Wagon out of use since the Ballinacourty traffic ceased in the early 1980s the second is a Zinc Ore wagons out of service for a similar length of time.

Most of the  Magnesite Wagons were stored at Enniscorthy, the Dolomite Hoppers were basically to the same design as the Ballast & Gypsum Hoppers and may have been used for either traffic after Ballinacourty closed.

My main PC is now fixed but unfortunately everything on it has been lost, not a complete disaster but it means I do not know what has been uploaded to flickr  and there were over a 1000 scans ready to go on which can only be identified by individually checking whether they have been uploaded or not. I am also providing employment for several days in the coming weeks for the NHS and have been sent a Collection of some 8000 English and Scottish negatives for identifying etc.

Now in this Collection there are 6 Irish prints, however I don't think these were taken by the photographer . The locations are known, but does anyone recognise the view and photographer?

First 2 are Headford Junction with a Killarney service and the Kenmare branch local

Second pair are at Drimoleague.

Third. Cork and Bantry.

x001.jpg

x002.jpg

x003.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...