Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

Really interesting photos Ernie. Note how 84 is in ex shops blue, which still has that rich depth to it, unlike the more faded tender! This was just before the VS class arrived that summer. It’s also sat beside an old U still in black awaiting its blue. The UG (- photo on your Flickr today) must be brand new

GNRI 1948-05-12 Belfast, Adelaide Class UG 145 JG Dewing

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 4

A bit late today as I have been hammering away at composing a spreadsheet which is now done and dusted.

Ex Dublin and South Eastern. I already have the JG Dewing black & white neg of C231 at Dun Laoghaire, here is the colour slide taken at the same time 16 May 1959. I have cropped the original image to make the locomotive stand out a bit more.

On the 17 May 1959 he took this view of Railcar 2619 at Killiney The train displays at least 4 shades/hues of green!

CIE 1959-05-16 Dun Laoghaire C231 JGD CIE 1959-05-17 Killiney 2619 JGD

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

A bit late today as I have been hammering away at composing a spreadsheet which is now done and dusted.

Ex Dublin and South Eastern. I already have the JG Dewing black & white neg of C231 at Dun Laoghaire, here is the colour slide taken at the same time 16 May 1959. I have cropped the original image to make the locomotive stand out a bit more.

On the 17 May 1959 he took this view of Railcar 2619 at Killiney The train displays at least 4 shades/hues of green!

CIE 1959-05-16 Dun Laoghaire C231 JGD 

Interesting livery variation on the Park Royals - green ends on those two. They were normally black, as were the ends of other CIE coaches in both green liveries.

Naturally, due to the ridge along the side, no Park Royals ever carried "snails". 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I've been catching up on the scanning today and in the batch is this neg at Guinness Brewery with a rather odd attachment on the loco !

A small pipe at the far end which has been inserted into a kind of 'drain pipe' on the wall. Why? It could be a water column but is somewhat over-sized for the locos water capacity and you would think if water is coming down the pipe then  the connection should be the other way round with the 'down' pipe inside the 'up ' pipe.

I'm not holding out much hope of an answer but you never know!

Guinness Brewery ca 1962 x0212.jpg

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 2

Here is my guess;-

The fact that the bottom section of the pipe is cranked out from the wall makes me think of a chute or discharge pipe, cranked out makes me think it was used to fill bags or a wagon!

In 1970 the company attempted to replace the narrow gauge railway with a Ponndorf compressed air system to carry spent grains from the brewhouse to an area where they were collected by farmers- It did not work as the compressors burnt out. Could this be a discharge pipe from that system, and could the item sticking out of the pipe be a handle to a plug closing the pipe when not in use??

Eoin

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

On 7/11/2021 at 11:52 AM, Irishswissernie said:

I've been catching up on the scanning today and in the batch is this neg at Guinness Brewery with a rather odd attachment on the loco !

A small pipe at the far end which has been inserted into a kind of 'drain pipe' on the wall. Why? It could be a water column but is somewhat over-sized for the locos water capacity and you would think if water is coming down the pipe then  the connection should be the other way round with the 'down' pipe inside the 'up ' pipe.

I'm not holding out much hope of an answer but you never know!

Guinness Brewery ca 1962 x0212.jpg

Coming on late on this conversation but I agree with George and Connolly that this is a 'lever' or some part of the loco with the wall in the background and the rear bottom of the flue is broken creating the illusion of something curving up in to the pipe

Edited by DiveController

On 13/11/2021 at 8:34 PM, DiveController said:

I was wondering if anyone knew what the green van with Snail logo coupled to the luggage van behind the bottom of the water towers would be? Ex-GNR?

Yes, very definitely. CIE got one Y5 - No. 469, which would have become 469N, and it lasted until 1962 (in green). They had three Y4s at least, one of which made it to 1965, and for all I know might therefore have been repainted black'n'tan; and one Y3, for what it's worth, which lasted to 1966. 

• Informative 1

23 minutes ago, KMCE said:

Super example of how these locos weathered over time.  You could pick any dark colour as a livery & be partially correct!

Indeed.

I have seen pictures of decent colour quality showing locomotives of the 400 and Woolwich classes, which look exactly the same, despite the fact that they are of locomotives known to be, at the time of photography, GREEN!

I must get round to posting pics of my two weathered J15s. These were delivered from 00 Works in GSR / CIE grey, but once weathered realistically look like this.

As often mentioned before, this is what made some GNR blue locos and CDR red ones look largely black, especially around the boiler and dome, and what led to the impression that most, rather than just some, of the CIE steam fleet in the 1950s were black rather than dark grey or even lined green.

• Like 2

I used to walk through that pedestrian tunnel (on the right above) a couple of times a day back in the early 90's.  Pedestrian tunnel was always clean and well lit, whilst the railway tunnel was kinda dark, damp, and cold.  Impressive to walk through the full rail tunnel - quite a long walk around the spiral though!!  It was possible to see between levels at some points where holes had developed (or made for new cabling) close to the walls - thickness of the floor was thinner than I would have expected 🤔.

Thanks for the photos, Ernie - that brought back some memories.....

• Thanks 1