Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

I have approx 60 Cavan & Leitrim, 70 CDRJC and 20 West Clare images to upload at the moment so have added 5 C&L to flickr today. Here are a couple, all Ballinamore 8 June 1957

In the first view the passenger train from Dromod waits while 5T on a coal train from Arigna is allowed through first so that it can run through to the north end of the station.

Second view 5T on the turntable

C&L 1957-06-08 Ballinamore Passenger train from Dromod waits outside station to let 4T on coal from  Arigna to enter first. A061 C&L 1957-06-08 Ballinamore turntable 5T A054

• Like 3

Enjoyed the IRRS Digital Event last night with some superb views taken by Les Hyland in the 1950's and 1960's covering all Ireland.

It seems appropriate to add a couple of John Dewing equally superb photos from the 1960's today. 

First Near Hilden 174 on a Portadown local 16 May 1960 and then Finaghy 64 Lough Gill 18 May 1960.

GNRI 1960-05-16 Nr Hilden, Portadown local 174  JGD600402 GNRI 1960-05-18 Finaghy '64 Lough Gill JGD600503

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

Thanks Ernie. Pic 2 looks v similar to a colour one on the cover of one of the Ferris books.

Interesting picture. The cover picture of Tom Ferris's 'Irish Railways in Colour A Second Glance' is repeated in full on P63 of the book. It is identical to this picture, except that the train is different. It is loco 202, and the shadows indicate a different time of day, but the camera position is exactly the same and the trains are only a couple of sleepers different. Amazing, since the pictures are dated a year apart.  

• Informative 2

On 30/9/2021 at 8:39 PM, Irishswissernie said:

I have approx 60 Cavan & Leitrim, 70 CDRJC and 20 West Clare images to upload at the moment so have added 5 C&L to flickr today. Here are a couple, all Ballinamore 8 June 1957

In the first view the passenger train from Dromod waits while 5T on a coal train from Arigna is allowed through first so that it can run through to the north end of the station.

Second view 5T on the turntable

C&L 1957-06-08 Ballinamore Passenger train from Dromod waits outside station to let 4T on coal from  Arigna to enter first. A061 

Tried to identify the location the "double track" section between Ballinamore station and the divergence of the Main Line and Arigna Branch. Photo appears to be taken from the cab of a Passage Engine with the 'Bus Coach" and a "Milk Van" on the mail line and 5T on the branch.

The Ballinamore Byepass follows the right of way of the Main Line and Tramway to the site of Tully Gates before curving around to follow the reserved section of the Tramway along Golf Links Road which runs alongside the Ballinamore and Ballyconnel Road joining the R208 Fenagh-Drumshanbo Road near the site of Ballyduff Halt. Last time I visited Golf Links Road was single lane probably no wider than the original narrow gauge right of way.

• Like 1

Noticing that in the silver livery it doesn't have one of the snails..... in the Limerick Junction shot, he must have about twelve bogies on plus the tin van... the leading carriage is a pre-1910 GSWR one.

Isn't it great to see a stone wall which is not (a) covered in graffiti by brainless morons, and (b) with weeds growing out of it and ivy covering it.

People in this day and age haven't the first clue about how much damage weeds do to masonry....but that's another story.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Noticing that in the silver livery it doesn't have one of the snails..... in the Limerick Junction shot, he must have about twelve bogies on plus the tin van... the leading carriage is a pre-1910 GSWR one.

So when did they get the snails again. In photos it looks like the were more than paint, more like fitted to the side of the loco but I might be wrong since they would likely have remained there if so

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DiveController said:

So when did they get the snails again. In photos it looks like the were more than paint, more like fitted to the side of the loco but I might be wrong since they would likely have remained there if so

Yes, they were fitted. I actually had one of ‘em at one stage.

It wasn’t so much an issue of “getting them again”; it was more a case of this one missing.

They kept the “stuck-on” ones from silver through to green, but they were removed once they were repainted black. This particular loco, for some reason, is at the time of the photo bereft of its badge, just like some steam locomotive tenders remained plain grey with no flying snail.

• Like 1

In this photo the casting stands out a bit better. I think the castings were possibly used on other items of infrastructure etc. When My JM Design Brake Van arrived John had included a set of etched Relay boxes with the snail on as I think mine was the first van order A38 Ardee 18 May 1963

ck  Ardee18my63img712

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 2

Sligo Leitrim & Northern Counties  today HC Casserley views from 18 May 1950. Sir Henry at Manorhamilton and 'Leitrim' which although Casserley has it down as Sligo shed, JW Armstrong has a similar view of it at Manorhamilton and given the look of the shed and the 'junk' etc in it I have amended the title to Manorhamilton as well.

SLNCR 1950-05-18 Manorhamilton, 'Sir Henry' Sligo - Enniskillen goods HCC73010 SLNCR 1950-05-18 Manorhamilton 'Leitrim' on shed HCC73028a

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That’s a really nice view of Sir Henry. Many close-ups exist of the class, and distance shots of trains in the landscape. This, however, is just far enough away to give a decent view and yet close enough to see some detail. What handsome engines they were. But I don’t want to build another one just yet! 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2021 at 3:56 PM, DiveController said:

1960s, date uncertain

Some lovely shots once again, Ernie. There's a slight inconsistency on the dates on two photos of A15. I wonder when it was actually reliveried into the lined green?

Cork A15 4jun61 img377

4 Jun 1961

The date looks wrong. The loco looks quite new - no snail casting on the side, sandboxes still fitted, no snatchers, both wipers in place and clean roof.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Yes I think the date is wrong, it must be earlier probably shortly after delivery given the general condition of the loco, sandboxes and absence of tablet snatchers. I have just watched a Crossley Bros 1956 film of A1 on delivery and there were no snails on it or snatchers fitted, so snatchers probably fitted after delivery or when they appeared more frequently on the single line tablet controlled sections. I need to try and locate the original neg and see if there is any info on its cover (this could take as long as it took for the Model 'A's to materialise!)

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1