Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

A  few from the early days of NIR today

NIR 1967-06-01 Belfast York Road, RPSI ex CIE J15 186 working for NIR as station pilot.

NIR 1967-06-01 Belfast York Road, ex SLNC 'Lough Erne' now no 27

NIR 1967-06-01 Belfast ,Skegoneill WT 4 on spoil wagons assisted by WT 53 at rear.

NIR 1967-06-01 Belfast York Road, RPSI ex CIE J15 186 working for NIR as station pilot. NIR 1967-06-01 Belfast York Road, ex SLNC 'Lough Erne' now no 27 NIR 1967-06-01 Belfast ,Skegoneill WT 4 on spoil wagons assisted by WT 53 at rear.

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 10

That photo of Lough Erne taking on water got me thinking.

I know the side and bunker tanks were connected as you can regularly see the connecting pipe under the foot plate behind the cab ladder.

Were the tanks on both sides of the loco connected allowing filling from one side only? 

Ken

• Like 1

Having studied BP SLNC drawings, Ken, ad nauseam, the side tanks were connected via the back tank, so theoretically filling on one side would be possible. The rivet pattern (again, long  study involved here!) doesn’t indicate a dividing baffle. As an aside, the ‘Large Tanks’ originally had filler openings on the bunker tanks - see below - which were later removed or remained unused. As far as I know, no bunker filler was installed on the Lough class.

9C5F260C-36A6-4FE6-BB1D-992DE7818901.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 3

Thanks Ernie. This was that brief window when the Belpaire Compounds had the Enterprise all to themselves before the VS arrived! That photo at Dunleer is pure GN glory. The tortoise may not have won the race in this instance but it certainly had a longer working life!

Edited by Galteemore

On 22/11/2021 at 7:59 AM, Irishswissernie said:

GNRI 1959-07-03 Portadown 102 ex C3

Wow Ernie, never knew this railcar ever turned a wheel in UTA service, but clearly it did! Interestingly it appears the body was not daubed with a 'U T' stencil the way everything else was, but has 'U T' signs in the front windows. Fascinating photograph. Many thanks for posting. LM 

• Like 2

Don’t think the wheels turned round many times! Colm Flanagan says it was out of use at Adelaide for 2 years before 1961 scrapping. Glad we have this pic - as you say, great evidence of how stuff was identified in the GNRB/UT transition. Would have looked quite smart with the UT roundel, too…..

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, airfixfan said:

Photos of GNR Railcar C2 after 18 are as rare as hens teeth as the lines it was used on were all closed effectively in the 1957 purge 

I suppose, to the UTA, it was inconvenient for short workings being single ended. CIE’s pair, I think, were largely employed on the INW stump workings till 59 and then went the same way. Here’s one of the last workings https://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000304436

My dad has great memories of railcar A - above - on the Derry Road. Had a fine mahogany interior apparently 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Bunker first working was most unusual.

and it gives a great unobstructed view of the bunker, a useful reference for modelling.

Also I not seen the "to run with passenger trains" board on the cattle wagon before, were these common? I can't see any on the rest of the rake.

I have seen the wording on other MGWR Non-passenger stock (Horse Boxes, Meat Vans etc,)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Angus said:

Also I not seen the "to run with passenger trains" board on the cattle wagon before, were these common? I can't see any on the rest of the rake.

There is one on the mixed train here although not next to the coach so the vacuum brake would  not be connected (unless the cattle wagon next to the coach was through piped or didn't have such a notice as it hasn't SLNC lettering). Given that the last vehicle looks like the Brake Van it probably didn't matter too much but would have given the passengers the odd shaking.

a S10  Enniskillen 'Lough Erne' 7.20 to Sligo 28apr54

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

16 hours ago, Angus said:

I'll have to spend some time trawling the photos.

A quick look through Neil Sprinks's Irish Railway Pictorial of the SL&NCR shows a surprising number of these "to run passenger trains" boards once you know to look for them. In most of the shots with cattle vans there are at least one or two vans that have the boards.

There is a photo of the 7.20Pm mixed from 1950 on page 23 of the book where the first four cattle wagons have the boards.

Definitely a nice detail to include (once I get around to modelling some of the wagons!).

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

27 minutes ago, Angus said:

A quick look through Neil Sprinks's Irish Railway Pictorial of the SL&NCR shows a surprising number of these "to run passenger trains" boards once you know to look for them. In most of the shots with cattle vans there are at least one or two vans that have the boards.

There is a photo of the 7.20Pm mixed from 1950 on page 23 of the book where the first four cattle wagons have the boards.

Definitely a nice detail to include (once I get around to modelling some of the wagons!).

Definitely Angus - thank you. Just checked Neil Sprinks’s older book and some 14 cattle wagons were either fitted or piped.

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2