Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

Very sad to hear that Ernie isn't well. I recall mentioning sometime ago that this is my favourite thread. By regularly updating this thread with photographs and accompanying captions I've learned so much about Ireland's railways from the mid-twentieth century. This thread is a very important archive and I appreciate this very important resource. Sending my best wishes to Ernie for a speedy recovery.

• Like 3

Thank you all for you kind words. He's still in there, 'enjoying' lots of scans. Looks like they might have found the cause of it all, and he's responding to the antibiotics. Not sure on the course of action just yet, but he'll likely be absent from the forum and flickr for a little while longer.

• Like 4
  • Informative 1

I have been working on getting the late Alex Ford's photos from 1950 processed with the copyright overlays I have agreed to put on in return for being able to use the views on flickr. Three more done today . 2 views of C2 456 at Greystones 29 June 1950 and J5 644 climbing the bank from Sligo Goods with a banker looking at the steam in the distance 31 June 1950

AF1498 CIE Greystones C2 456 29June1950 AF1497 CIE Greystones C2 456 29June1950 AF0032 CIE Sligo climbing bank from Goods yard J5 644 30 June 1950

• Like 9

Lovely classic mix Ernie - thanks ! The wagon at extreme right in the Bundoran express pic is most interesting. It contains a load from the Whiteabbey Bleaching Company - Henderson’s.  This firm had a private siding, and one of the owning family is an excellent modeller of N scale Irish stuff. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/12/2021 at 8:14 AM, Irishswissernie said:

A couple of Casserley views today, Strabane

GNRI 1948-04-20 Strabane North end 120 , 11.30 Belfast - Derry HCC51747

GNRI 1948-04-20 Strabane 121, 9.25 Derry-Belfast HCC51732

There are some 200 original negs/slides on there way to me plus an album of old photos of unknown origin so more material in the pipeline.

GNRI 1948-04-20 Strabane North end 120 , 11.30 Belfast - Derry HCC51747 GNRI 1948-04-20 Strabane 121, 9.25 Derry-Belfast HCC51732

Nice to see Railcar No 8 creep into the corner of the photo,Andy.

Morning Ernie, good to see you back in the saddle, but don't goo overdoing it! Doctors often know best!

I look at the date's on these photos and I am just too young to have witnessed the happenings of the subjects. Not wishing to wish my life away but to have seen what was happening would have been rather cool. As would being able to be to witness finding life of some sort in deep space, hey ho! Sorry for the hijack Ernie!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

OK Jim 3 views of the Donegal from June/July 1960 after closure but whilst they were lifting the track and before the scrapping of stock etc.

CDRJC 1960-06-xx Lifting train CDRJC 1960-06-xx Stranorlar (1) CDRJC 1960-06-xx Stranorlar (2)

The  railcar is No12 and the wagon with it is 336 the 40' ex Ballymena Cushendall coach chassis,it must be down the Donegal end of the line as railcars 12 and 18 were based at Donegal during demolition,Andy.

• Informative 1

On 11/12/2021 at 10:40 AM, Galteemore said:

Lovely classic mix Ernie - thanks ! The wagon at extreme right in the Bundoran express pic is most interesting. It contains a load from the Whiteabbey Bleaching Company - Henderson’s.  This firm had a private siding, and one of the owning family is an excellent modeller of N scale Irish stuff. 

N scale Irish? Pray tell us more.......

Very impressed with those photos you have posted Ernie. Have about 40 photos sent to.myself recently taken by someone who visited the CDR in 1960. He found he had missed the last lifting trains by steam between Strabane and Stranorlar by a week. Will do some delving into my archive in the morning.

19 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

He’s built some nice diesels and a. WT etc - don’t have pics, sorry. It’s coach 50. And I think you know him - he’s been around the RPSI since about 1968! 

Yes, I do know him.....indeed! In the 1980s he and i used to do sales stands for the RPSI all over Ireland. Whitehead, Larne, Donegal, Carlow and even Wishht Caaark! (Upton)...

• Like 2