Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

Cavan & Leitrim Railway today. I have some 50 odd 'new' negs taken on 8-10 June 1957 during one of the last coal 'booms' with at least 3 locos 2L, 5T & 4T in use on the Arigna line' Drumshanbo would make a lovely little model particularly with its curves lending itself to a 'roundy roundy' type layout.

C&L 1957-06-10 Drumshanbo 4T arriving with B'van A057 C&L 1957-06-10 Drumshanbo 4T waits whilst 5T departs with loads. A041

I looked on Google Earth and whilst the track bed is now a road the Water Tower on the left and Goods Store on the right are still extant.

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 2

On 17/9/2021 at 9:54 AM, Irishswissernie said:

I'm working through a bunch of newly acquired negs; can anyone identify this location taken ca 1957-60

A097.jpg

I am thinking this could well be Limerick with the Goods shed that used to stand on the south side of the line opposite the one that I think is still there. Most stations wouldn't have the amount of junk or sheds that appears in this view. 

14 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

I am thinking this could well be Limerick with the Goods shed that used to stand on the south side of the line opposite the one that I think is still there. Most stations wouldn't have the amount of junk or sheds that appears in this view. 

The church spire in the distance might assist in locating it?

25 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Lovely. What was the structure in the first picture? It looks like a cattle loading ramp but there's no track there.

There is a sketch map in 'The Life & Times of a Railwayman, Limerick Junction' where there is a structure marked as Coal Yard. Probably a walled yard for storing coal for the station, hotel. water tower/crane heaters etc.

• Like 2

I have been sent some more negs and been asked to identify this one as the sender is convinced its Irish. I don't think it is! The locos are outside frame 0-60st's and have a peculiar shaped combined  Railway Company name and number on the saddle tanks which was a style favoured by the Rhymney Railway which also had outside framed saddle tanks. I can't find any Irish locos of this style but would just like confirmation from anyone in the know!

where name'number plates are Rhymney railway style.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

I have been sent some more negs and been asked to identify this one as the sender is convinced its Irish. I don't think it is! The locos are outside frame 0-60st's and have a peculiar shaped combined  Railway Company name and number on the saddle tanks which was a style favoured by the Rhymney Railway which also had outside framed saddle tanks. I can't find any Irish locos of this style but would just like confirmation from anyone in the know!

The Brecon and Merther Railway had similar 0-6-2ST locos

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

The only way that's going to be Irish is if it's BCDR - the carriages are suspiciously BCDR-like. The location is also not unlike the Downpatrick marshes.

However:

The locos are not even remotely like anything the BCDR ever had. Saddle tank locomotives were exceptionally rare in Ireland; half a dozen in Dundalk, a shunter in Inchicore, a handful in Wisht Caark, boy, and very little else. The BCDR DID have a few in early times, but while they vaguely resembled the leading loco, nothing even remotely like the second loco ever ran in Ireland.

Not on a single occasion did I ever see evidence of what looks like a main line train in Ireland hauled by a PAIR of saddle tanks.

The church spire is not that of Down cathedral, I would also guess.

Thus, the verdict is that it is not Irish.

The carriages, though...............!!

• Like 1

Hi Ernie,

I may be wrong, but have you not posted that GNR carriage picture before? I recall posting a guess on my part that the roofboard is comprised of two previous boards being bodged together, one half from a 'Dublin-Derry' roofboard and the other from a 'Belfast-Enniskillen' one. This would date the photo to 1958. W.E. Robertson has had a photo of the same roofboard published few years back.

12 hours ago, StevieB said:

Keep them coming, they are a joy to look at.

Totally agree, they are all excellent viewing material.

• Like 1

Yes I had an inkling that I had put it on here but not on flickr when I was doing the Link yesterday, unfortunately my incontinent Mother in Law diverted my attention!

I am making an effort to add a Link each day to the daily uploaded Flickr Irish images. As a penance I will , with the cooperation of M.I.L. add an extra image today😉

• Like 1

OK Not Irish but I am quite taken with this view at Edinburgh Waverley probably taken early Summer 1960. 60510 Robert the Bruce (Hammer of the English I believe!) in the foreground was withdrawn in the November and the Class 26's D5301/5  would be almost brand new. Also in view A1 60161 & K3 61917.  Looks to have been taken from the top of Sir Walter Scott's Memorial.

NBR 1959-60ca Edinburgh Waverley

• Like 4

On 25/9/2021 at 7:19 AM, Irishswissernie said:

Tour on the Belfast Central at Maysfield. (Nagging feeling this might have been posted on here before)

Hi Ernie,

A lot of photographs were taken here in the Maysfields Yard on that day, probably due to the layover time while the ex-SLNCR tank No. 26 came off and the ex-GNR 'U' class took over the tour train for the run to Bangor. So a lot of noted (and subsequently published) photographers may well have been standing next to each other. Have to say though, all the ones in my collection were taken from the other side of the train. LM

• Like 1
  • Informative 1