Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

• 2 weeks later...

I also uploaded this Cavan & Leitrim negative today . A couple of original 4-4-0ts at Ballinamore. I was looking at the negative fault and then started to notice the detail differences  on the 2 locomotives

Domes , safety valves, cab windows, pipework mountings.. Rivets on smokebox wrapper. Its like a spot the difference game! Oh and Chimneys!

C&L 1955-xx-xx ballinamore c

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 2

The C and L locos were similar in that way to the last years of the three CDR Class 5 tanks which meant that each if the last e had some minor differences and features compared with their sisters. Parts from Blanhe and Foyle are still to found on the surviving locos today!

• Informative 1

11 hours ago, airfixfan said:

The C and L locos were similar in that way to the last years of the three CDR Class 5 tanks which meant that each if the last e had some minor differences and features compared with their sisters. Parts from Blanhe and Foyle are still to found on the surviving locos today!

2L (Kathleen) is a real amalgam containing parts from 1L & 7L.

Originally a "Main Line" loco with a similar cab to 3L (Lady Edith) she was re-built as a "Tramway" engine during the 1940s receiving 7Ls boiler, and superstructure, she received 1Ls boiler on her final visit to Inchacore in 1950s the last of the C&L 4-4-0s to receive an overhaul. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

This view of Inspection Car No 2 in 1961 at Kildare I uploaded a couple of days ago has gone down well on Flickr. Its been picked up by the International Group 'In Explore' and now has over 6000 hits and 112 favourites.

I particularly like the leather plush seats and what appears to be a starting handle on the front! I wonder what happened to it. Might have to persuade Alan to build me one.

CIE 1961-06-04 Kildare Inspection Car No2 DT23-23

Another 300 negatives have arrived this week and I am busy scanning them while the plaster sets on Four Masters Bridge. They are of varying quality and interest but the following 3 are definitely on the 'retained' list.

The narrow gauge loco is Cork & Muskerry No 1K on 15 June 1934, a rather poor neg but very interesting and I think a very handsome loco.

The other 2 are Belfast & County Down Railway almost certainly pre WW11 . 2-4-0 No 6 a glass neg , location unknown. and 4-4-2t No 17 at Queens Quay sheds.

The majority of the others are from 1959 , varying quality but a fair number of CDRJC and C&L views.

neg259.jpg

neg257.jpg

neg258.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2021 at 8:50 PM, the Bandon tank said:

Hi I am just wondering if in the above text the name Ashdown is a typo and should it read Ashtown, as I have a memory as a very young child see a line of disused steam engines on a siding beside the level crossing at Ashtown.

Correct.

On 2/2/2021 at 8:22 AM, Irishswissernie said:

Some more CIE Green on flickr

CIE 1960-09-14 Limerick ex SLNC 2509 DT18-11

Limerick ex SLNCR 2509 14 sept 1960

CIE 1960-09-13 Mallow C217 DT17-21

Mallow C217 13 sept 1960

CIE 1960-09-12 Cork, Albert Quay Coach 8635 DT16-18

Cork, Albert Quay 12 Sept 1960. Did this lengthy coach with its 6 wheel bogies actually travel over the Bandon system? I think it would have given that it would have been transferred via the Cork City Railway and it could have been stored easily elsewhere without that hassle.

Sure that's not Glanmire? That coach was used a lot on the Cobh branch at that time. It was 66ft long - it's hard to imagine it going across the tramway, and I've never seen any evidence of it working in West Cork.....

On 8/3/2021 at 12:10 PM, Irishswissernie said:

A bumper bundle of Irish narrow gauge uploaded to flickr; 71 Londonderry & Lough Swilly and 7 colour slides West Clare Diesels and railcars.

I thought there had been a colour shift on some West Clare slides but there does appear to have been 2 shades of green as both appear in some of the views.

CIE 1961-06-07 Ennis 3387 DT26-14

This perfectly shows the two shades of green. These railcars were delivered in the older dark green, and some bits (power unit or trailer) got mixed up from time to time. Here we have the passenger trailer in the original dark green, and the power unit in the later lighter green.

On 30/1/2021 at 11:30 AM, Irishswissernie said:

neg055.jpg

I haven't been on the site much for the last few months so apologies for such a late comment on these lovely photos. I don't believe that I have seen the bogies TPO in the silver livery before at least not in color. Smashing shot!

On 2/2/2021 at 2:22 AM, Irishswissernie said:

CIE 1960-09-12 Cork, Albert Quay Coach 8635 DT16-18

Cork, Albert Quay 12 Sept 1960. Did this lengthy coach with its 6 wheel bogies actually travel over the Bandon system? I think it would have given that it would have been transferred via the Cork City Railway and it could have been stored easily elsewhere without that hassle.

This appears to be one of the 1906-7 GSWR-built tricomposite brake coaches with clerestory roof built for the Cork-Rosslare boat train. Its sister 861 is preserved by the RPSI and all were listed as secondary stock by February 1961 only 4 months after this photo.

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Sure that's not Glanmire? That coach was used a lot on the Cobh branch at that time. It was 66ft long - it's hard to imagine it going across the tramway, and I've never seen any evidence of it working in West Cork.....

Yes its Albert Quay, identified by the building on the left and the top of the gas holder just showing on the right hand side. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DiveController said:

5 hours ago, DiveController said:

I haven't been on the site much for the last few months so apologies for such a late comment on these lovely photos. I don't believe that I have seen the bogies TPO in the silver livery before at least not in color. Smashing shot!

This appears to be one of the 1906-7 GSWR-built tricomposite brake coach with clerestory roof built for the Cork-Rosslare boat train. Its sister 861 is preserved by the RPSI and all were listed as secondary stock by February 1961 only 4 months after this photo.

Indeed it is! A real beauty. 

54 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

Yes its Albert Quay, identified by the building on the left and the top of the gas holder just showing on the right hand side. 

Interesting! First time me I'm aware of one of those going over there. I wonder was it just stored, or was it ever used on the system.

A journey to Baltimore in that vehicle would have been worth a lifetime's  travel.

Edited by jhb171achill

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

Indeed it is! A real beauty. 

Interesting! First time me I'm aware of one of those going over there. I wonder was it just stored, or was it ever used on the system.

A journey to Baltimore in that vehicle would have been worth a lifetime's  travel.

If thats the same coach there to the left, somones moved it as its not against the buffers......maybe it was used once....or maybe it was just shunted

(From brian bakers west cork railways film)

Screenshot_20210331-210423_Facebook.thumb.jpg.a7b63ca911a9d1e2c92024da077cb9fe.jpg

Edited by Westcorkrailway
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

11 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Another 300 negatives have arrived this week and I am busy scanning them while the plaster sets on Four Masters Bridge. They are of varying quality and interest but the following 3 are definitely on the 'retained' list.

The narrow gauge loco is Cork & Muskerry No 1K on 15 June 1934, a rather poor neg but very interesting and I think a very handsome loco.

The other 2 are Belfast & County Down Railway almost certainly pre WW11 . 2-4-0 No 6 a glass neg , location unknown. and 4-4-2t No 17 at Queens Quay sheds.

The majority of the others are from 1959 , varying quality but a fair number of CDRJC and C&L views.

neg259.jpg

neg257.jpg

neg258.jpg

Last BCDR photo looks like No 6 from the 1930s at Ballynahinch. Keep me posted about the CDR as always!

4 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

If thats the same coach there to the left, somones moved it as its not against the buffers......maybe it was used once....or maybe it was just shunted

(From brian bakers west cork railways film)

Screenshot_20210331-210423_Facebook.thumb.jpg.a7b63ca911a9d1e2c92024da077cb9fe.jpg

Very much looks like it, yes.

3 hours ago, airfixfan said:

Last BCDR photo looks like No 6 from the 1930s at Ballynahinch. Keep me posted about the CDR as always!

Superb stuff, Ernie!!!!

Jim, PM me about CDR stuff.

In the latest neg arrivals is a large glass plate said to be at Inchicore.

I don't think so! My thoughts are Derby Works with an NCC Class W under construction which would explain why its is being built on a Well Wagon because of the difference in gauges. The wagon behind is nothing to do with the loco as it appears to be standing on the track. That could be the frame for a tender on blocks next to the loco. The cab is behind the gentleman on the right.

It is possible that the loco is being partly dismantled prior to being shipped to Northern Ireland. The Cab and top boiler fittings would need removal to fit  the LMS loading gauge

on its way to a west coast port - Heysham maybe.

Thoughts anyone!

neg261.jpg

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 2

I have been checking out the W Moguls and now realise that the earlier ones were delivered with smaller Fowler tenders so the tender behind the loco in the photo could have been for it. I can't find much out about livery changes but the only photos I have found so far with the lining on the buffer beam as in the photo are of the first 4 built in 1933.

Also in the batch of negs I am now processing is this view of a rake or possibly train of cars at Cork Docks  behind E414 on 26 June 1959. I think someone earlier on the Forum asked the question whether car trains ran on Irish railways. This is the closest I have found! 

CCR 1959-06-26 Cork Docks  E414 on train of cars pn.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, connollystn said:

Great picture of the E401 (414), it's a locomotive of which I don't see many photographs. What is the history of this locomotive? A thread regarding this locomotive may exist on this forum already!

Im sure i saw a photo somwhere of a car train at claremorris....presumably fords

Agreee, ive seem about 4 pictures of them. Ive heard they have gone as far as west courtmacsherry and fenit

1 hour ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Im sure i saw a photo somwhere of a car train at claremorris....presumably fords

My father worked at Nth Wall and I know they loaded cars onto flat wagons.  Nothing sophisticated about it as cars were driven into position over boards between each wagon.  I don't think they made up full trains but these rakes of flats were probably part of the regular goods train formations heading west. So a train carrying cars in Claremorris is probably correct.  But not sure they would have been Fords since they were assembled in Cork but certainly not exclusively Fords, I clearly remember my father making specific mention of VWs.  I'm not sure how long this traffic lasted. Cars transported on open flats were vulnerable to damage by vandals hurling stones off bridges and there seems to have been some of this.

7 minutes ago, Ironroad said:

My father worked at Nth Wall and I know they loaded cars onto flat wagons.  Nothing sophisticated about it as cars were driven into position over boards between each wagon.  I don't think they made up full trains but these rakes of flats were probably part of the regular goods train formations heading west. So a train carrying cars in Claremorris is probably correct.  But not sure they would have been Fords since they were assembled in Cork but certainly not exclusively Fords, I clearly remember my father making specific mention of VWs.  I'm not sure how long this traffic lasted. Cars transported on open flats were vulnerable to damage by vandals hurling stones off bridges and there seems to have been some of this.

historic-monochrome-photograph-cars-on-goods-train-at-railway-station-claremorris-county-mayo-ireland-2AGMHDR.thumb.jpg.c503016c86f67b4fc10cdc844f173cf9.jpg

Dead right by the looks of this snap

• Like 1

I'm not a car expert, but I suspect that picture was taken in the very early 1950's as two of the cars resemble Ford Prefects of the late '40s to early '50s. 

The picture posted showing a car train at Glanmire would appear to have been taken later in the 1950's as it seems to be carrying the successor model of the Ford Prefect (certainly the body style is mid '50s).

The period I was referring to was the mid/ latter half of the 1960's, so it seems cars on flat wagons may have been a feature on Irish railways for a extended period of time (maybe 15 - 20 years).

The following is a Robert Hendry photo taken at Strabane in September 1964. It is probably a 'trip' working to St. Johnston and features what appears to be two car carrying flats. It is to all intents and purposes a CIE goods train powered and braked by a UTA locomotive (an 'S' class still in GNR livery) and van!

image.png.776bd273a8c57649588844798a1e2235.png

Edited by Lambeg man

2 hours ago, Ironroad said:

Very intriguing it is most unlikely that cars moved from the Republic to the North at that time.

Could happen - the price differential then was not what it was in recent years.

On at least one occasion I saw a brand new car on a flat wagon in a northbound goods going through lisburn - though arguably it could have been loaded in Portadown.

3 hours ago, Lambeg man said:

The following is a Robert Hendry photo taken at Strabane in September 1964. It is probably a 'trip' working to St. Johnston and features what appears to be two car carrying flats. It is to all intents and purposes a CIE goods train powered and braked by a UTA locomotive (an 'S' class still in GNR livery) and van!

image.png.776bd273a8c57649588844798a1e2235.png

For weathering enthusiasts; that guards van is GREY; a shade only slightly darker than CIE used on those vans, the adjacent one being a GSR example.

Shows what neglect and brake dust can do.

6 hours ago, Ironroad said:

Very intriguing it is most unlikely that cars moved from the Republic to the North at that time.

Interesting photo in Sprinks’s SLNC history book showing the 1115 goods from Sligo after entering NI - with a car on a flat wagon at the back.

• Informative 1