Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

34 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

No idea who photographer was but  they came via Robin Fell (Trotskee) who acquired the albums with copyright. He only took photos at Strabane on his trip which was one of only 2 he had made to Ireland. Do you want scans of the prints for the Museum John?

Yes indeed can you email them to myself?

12 minutes ago, murphaph said:

So this train always followed the Dublin train it was connecting with as far as Claremorris? Did it follow or lead the Westport train to Manulla Jct?

In the 1990s, connections to Ballina were only offered to/from Dublin and after Manulla re-opened passengers were not accommodated from Claremorris anymore even though the branch train still ran there to run-around.

Going off this video, it appears the branch train preceded the Dublin-Westport to Ballina, and followed the Westport-Dublin to Claremorris:

• Like 2

The Ballina branch train was stabled at Claremorris but connected with the Dublin Westport trains at Manulla. However there were no run round facilities at Manulla so in the up direction (to Dublin) The ECS followed the Dublin train to Claremorris once it had made the connection at Manulla and then as ECS preceded the train from Dublin to Manulla and made the connection there for Ballina passengers.. 

Now if you are watching my videos this didn't happen as they were doing trackwork on the Ballina branch so it was a bus connection from Claremorris rather than a train from Manulla. I had arrived at Claremorris specifically to do the Ballina branch and was talking to the Station Mistress saying it was a bit disappointing having to go on the bus and after a few minutes she told me not to get on the bus as she had decided they were going to run the train up to Ballina for it to make the evening connection with the last Westport Dublin train and I could travel on it from Claremorris on its outward journey to Ballina. I don't think the Guard was all that impressed with her as he appeared to be looking forward to a short shift that day.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2020 at 4:10 AM, murphaph said:

So this train always followed the Dublin train it was connecting with as far as Claremorris? Did it follow or lead the Westport train to Manulla Jct?

It depends on the era modelled. 

The daily Limerick-Sligo  passenger services was re-routed to Ballina and the Manulla Junction-Ballina passenger services ceased when the station and signal box closed in 1963.

The junction points were operated remotely from Balla.

The Limerick-Ballina service does not appear to have connected with Dublin-Westport services at Claremorris.

In the early 1970s CIE introduced a daily Dublin-Ballina & return through coach which was attached to Dublin-Westport and return trains between Dublin and Claremorris. The coach most likely a Brake Standard was worked by the Claremorris pilot loco to and from Ballina. This arrangement operated for a short period possibly less than a year before the branch train was re-instated.

The branch passenger service was re-introduced with 3 trains in each way daily in 72 or 73 the train ran ahead of Westport-Heuston services and followed Heuston-Westport services between Manulla and Claremorris.

The sequence would have been reversed when the connection was changed to Manulla in the 1990s.

• Informative 2

About 40 negatives of station views in the 1960's landed on my door mat last week and now I have finally finished up-grading Swiss video to MP4 I have scanned the negs today although none are on flickr yet. Here are 4 which might be of some interest. I have overlaid the titles on the photos - they won't be so adulterated on Flickr.

MGW 1969-xx-xx Mullingar Up platform neg085.jpg

MGW 1967-xx-xx Ballynahinch (Co Galway).jpg

MGW 1967-08-02 Westport Quay.jpg

MGW 1967 Athlone station up side.jpg

• Like 7

May I take this opportunity to post a picture of Ballynahinch, County Galway in 1990.

image.png.05f39c767dddbc06d4c402fc33ebf673.png

By then of course private residences....

Also a view of the former level crossing at Ballynahinch and a nearby railway bridge still in existence in 1990.

image.thumb.png.246880c83eac6f7d69b0a4c5db6f0bfd.png

Edited by Lambeg man
  • Like 4

Not about my photos etc for a change!

I was talking to Robin Fell of Trotskee Travel, the source of a fair number of my negative and slide acquisitions a couple of weeks ago and he asked if I bought Irish railway books. I replied that I probably already had them all but he said that they were publishing an Irish railway book by the legendary British railway photographer Dick Riley. Apparently Dick had made a weeks trip in May 1950 in the company of noted Irish railway photographers Henry Casserley, Tom Middlemass and HS Brighty. Its a Print on Demand book and  a new venture by Robin under the Transport Treasury umbrella. Compiled by Michael McMahon.

It arrived today and is a superb good quality hardback volume of some 80 photos . coverage is roughly Belfast (3 main termini) Greenore Dundalk Connolly, WEstland Row Bray Mullingar  C&L Clones SLNCR Sligo CDRJC Strabane Stranorlar, Derry, L&LSR Waterside Colerain Ballycastle. 

https://totempublishing.co.uk/product/riley-in-ireland-by-michael-mcmahon/

Price £12-50 postage  in the UK free. Looks like £5-99 to Eire (Europe) unfortunately

DSC06647.JPG

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 3
  • Informative 2
  • WOW! 1

And what a book it is - cheers Ernie ! Unbeknownst to me, Galteemore Snr had already ordered me a copy which landed today. Amazing what you could see in a week in 1950. 

SLNC section is a joy, pure and simple. Some angles I hadn’t seen before. I used to be a big fan of BR (Southern) and had seen RC Riley’s work there. But his Irish stuff is terrific. If you like Irish railways in the 50s, you’ll love this.  

Edited by Galteemore

3 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Didn’t want to spoil the surprise Jim by telling you up front ! Some cracking NG images in there.....once I managed to tear myself away from the SLNC bit..

Thanks David but have now  spotted one CDR error! Enjoyed the book this afternoon. Judging by this Volume 2 must be on the cards already!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

I am continuing to add Irish views daily to Flickr.

This one added today B133 at Balla 18 July 1969 with badly faded white line on Bonnet door grills

MGW 1969-07-18 Balla

Leading coach is a GSWR bogie of 1910-20 period. By 1969, few wooden steam-era coaches were left on CIE, though NIR's coaching stock was composed entirely of such types.

It is interesting to see one in main line use, as they were normally kept in the greater Dublin area. By 1974, the last wooden stock was gone.

One to remember for buyers of grey or black'n'tan 121s; there's more scope for a realistic variety of carriages in a train than simply a rake of Cravens!

On another note, the length of this train, plus the wooden carriage at this end suggest it's been added on to strengthen the normal set, probably as a result of some special event.

In the early to mid 1960s, ex-GSWR carriages of this type were common in all types of passenger trains. Mostly green, obviously, until maybe 1965 or so, then all black'n'tan. I recently contacted Worsley Works to enquire as to whether they might do an etch of one of these (plus a Midland six-wheeler). Allen replied that he has a serious backlog of requests right now but will look into it. He requested drawings - I have some, but my stuff is all in storage at the moment as a result of a house move. I'll dig them out in due course.

2 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Leading coach is a GSWR bogie of 1910-20 period. By 1969, few wooden steam-era coaches were left on CIE, though NIR's coaching stock was composed entirely of such types.

It is interesting to see one in main line use, as they were normally kept in the greater Dublin area. By 1974, the last wooden stock was gone.

One to remember for buyers of grey or black'n'tan 121s; there's more scope for a realistic variety of carriages in a train than simply a rake of Cravens!

On another note, the length of this train, plus the wooden carriage at this end suggest it's been added on to strengthen the normal set, probably as a result of some special event.

In the early to mid 1960s, ex-GSWR carriages of this type were common in all types of passenger trains. Mostly green, obviously, until maybe 1965 or so, then all black'n'tan. I recently contacted Worsley Works to enquire as to whether they might do an etch of one of these (plus a Midland six-wheeler). Allen replied that he has a serious backlog of requests right now but will look into it. He requested drawings - I have some, but my stuff is all in storage at the moment as a result of a house move. I'll dig them out in due course.

there is a great picture of this kind of work, i cant remember if its a picture or a video but a grey 121 pulling out of dungarvan with CIE green and black n tan coaches. it actually looks beautiful with all the colours and the backdrop

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

there is a great picture of this kind of work, i cant remember if its a picture or a video but a grey 121 pulling out of dungarvan with CIE green and black n tan coaches. it actually looks beautiful with all the colours and the backdrop

Yes, even when the Dungarvan - Mallow line closed in 1967, there would still have been a few green coaches about, especially "tin vans" and full brake / mail coaches.

4 hours ago, Mayner said:

Interesting one passengers joining train at a station that had closed to passenger traffic several years earlier, first coach appears to be ex-GSWR/early GSR complete with footboards.

Indeed - this is six years after closure. This train is thus a special of some sort, which is what I suspected. Could it be a GAA special?

As already mentioned somewhere here, John Mayne is planning a re-run of his excellent "tin vans", and Silverfox do a green one as well as a black'n'tan one.

It can't emphasised enough - for those who pursue accuracy, tin vans are a necessary feature of all 1960s trains, great and small - with the very few exceptions of the unique Loughrea coach, and a couple of sets of old wooden vehicles for summer use in Cork and Dublin.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I acquired several more Lots of Casserley negatives at the second Auction last Saturday. The Irish includes SLNC GNRI CDRJC L&LSR NCC- inc some narrow gauge 1937, 1950 & 1953 and hopefully I should have them in my trembling hands in the next week or so. Meanwhile still plenty to upload to Flickr including the following views from Enniskillen, Newton Cunningham & Letterkenny

Already uploaded but nowt to do with Ireland are a couple of videos of the Ffestiniog Victorian Gala in 2019 but I rather like them - a bit different and a reminder of happier times.

GNRI 1954-08-22 Enniskillen PP 107 010.jpg

L&LSR 1952-06-27 Newtown  station.jpg

591204 Nr Letterkenny 1959 JG Dewing.jpg

• Like 1
  • WOW! 1