Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

Feeling a little blue this morning anyone?

1980809432_CBSCR047.thumb.jpg.ee05a793bd8e70ad2b3428ef362d4f5a.jpg

Amongst the latest acquisitions are approx 40 J G Dewing original slides. These are the remnants of his material which the purchaser of his slides/negatives etc after his death has had for a few years but because they were in such a state re-mounted etc had been put to one side whilst he concentrated on other material. Part of the problem was identifying which were originals and which were duplicates provided by Colourail whilst the original was used to provide copies for sale.

I think I have managed to identify the originals and am now cleaning them up etc. "Lagan" was still in its original card mount so it only involved removing dirt etc. Others have been re-mounted as and when the card mounts wore out but in a variety of mounts including re-used plastic kodak, Gepe and home made card/glass  jobs. Some also have paper amendments over part of the slide to improve/alter the composition of the image which in some cases have been glued on! Apparently John Dewing did slide shows etc which could explain the heavy wear. 

• Like 2

There are 7 but in a bit of a state, most have been published but with the image cut down. I have removed the paper masking so the whole image will go on flickr but cleaning them up will take some time. The group of 250  with the SLNC and L&LSR Letterkenny negs in from another photographer covers all of Ireland with one exception - the CDRJC so they appear to have gone elsewhere!

No NCC narrow gauge the collection with the missing Donegal photos date from 1953 so too late. I was lent and have scanned the Dewing records so I could interpret his ref numbers to work out the dates. He started before WWII and did take some on the Antrim lines but I do not have any negs. I have a print of 102 at Ballymoney on 28 August 1936 but don't have rights to put it on here (I think I have seen it published somewhere anyway.) I do have about a dozen at the end of this album on flickr which I've probably mentioned before

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/albums/72157627623204943

Edited by Irishswissernie

I am still uploading my Irish Videos 2000-2006 to Flickr .

This one extended and up-graded loaded today is one of my favourites. Limerick Junction 160 + 145 set off with loads at dusk on 12th November 2002 the memory of the pair at full power fading into the distance in the otherwise quiet of a still evening lives with me still.

The next day 203 arrives on a down express as 141 + 147 wait  on beet mts for the platform to clear. Meanwhile 124 arrives from Limerick on the shuttle and once any passengers needing to change trains are on board 203 sets off south. 141+147 then enter platform 1 and quickly run round to clear the main line for a non-stop Dublin 201 powered express. As they reverse their train round the curve on to the Limerick -Waterford line line the up express gains on them on the main line but thankfully they beat it and are safely out of camera shot as the 201 roars past. The main line crossing is now clear for them to take a run at the bank up to Tipperary.

Memories! Memories! ah well back to the scanning, 400 negatives to go. Different lines I never saw, Waterford & Tramore, Timoleague & Courtmacsherry, West Clare - Donegal - Swilly- Schull & Skibbereen even + many others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think its Ballyhaise although the building is very similar. At Ballyhaise there is a hillside behind the building with a house high above it and also a footbridge beyond the station building.

The railcar looks like either C2 or C3 after they were split and a trailer built to run behind them. They were regulars on the old Irish North Dundalk -Clones- Enniskillen and Cavan Ballyhaise-Clones Portadown

• Like 1

No worries! He  identified the electric light issue as an eliminating factor to rule out some similar locations which were gaslit by 1953.  He spent much of his early banking career around INW territory - so knows the lines well- but unfortunately just after the system closed! He did manage a few runs on a lifting train though. He thinks it is C 1, 2,or 3 on a Clones- Enniskillen working , photo taken from EKN-Clones-Belfast train - he thinks it looks like a BUT set.

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

It's not Ballyhaise.....  could well be Maguiresbridge, though. The picture is taken from a conventional wooden-bodied coach, though, not a railcar set - which means that the net could possibly be wider. AEC / BUT's wouldn't have been on that route in that year, though - they rarely ventured beyond Clones until very late on.

Edited by jhb171achill

its funny to think that myself and swissernie have bid against each other over hundreds of irish negatives over the last 20 or so years on ebay

we have cost each other hundreds if not thousands more then negs should have cost and all in the sake of keeping collections in ireland

Edited by mphoey
  • WOW! 1
  • Funny 1

33 minutes ago, mphoey said:

its funny to think that myself and swissernie have bid against each other over hundreds of irish negatives over the last 20 or so years on ebay

we have cost each other hundreds if not thousands more then negs should have cost and all in the sake of keeping collections in ireland

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The trouble is that somebody else would no doubt outbid us both anyway. Actually probably over 90% of my acquisitions have been on private deals or through contacts.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The trouble is that somebody else would no doubt outbid us both anyway. Actually probably over 90% of my acquisitions have been on private deals or through contacts.

always remember seeing your name on list of bidders it was either you or me won virtually every auction back then

1 hour ago, Irishswissernie said:

I'm pretty sure its Maguiresbridge thanks.

Now for you mail van enthusiasts what about these 2 gems at Cork in 1953

871555954_CIE1953-06-20CorkMailVan245.thumb.jpg.dd395f2fab8e3302c21a26f89fda68ce.jpg960266280_CIE1953-06-20CorkMailvan135(built1877).thumb.jpg.eb2d7e3f717aa8b6d9731ca8cd98eebb.jpg

Super pics of unique vans. Love Leslie's sole cattle wagon in the background.

• Like 1

A couple more from the latest batch.

The horse box is interesting as it appears to have 2 compartments for different sized animals. At the left a dog box pig/young calf maybe.

The Highland Railway used to tie a calfs legs in sacks and give them to the guard to look after. (The whole calf not just the legs!)

The Strabane slide of Erne had a paper insert at the left and bottom to change the composition. I've seen it in print but can't find where. I,m using it as my screen saver so that the icons don't obscure the loco

1459922142_MGW1953-06-20CorkMGWRHorseBox19M047.thumb.jpg.36c74d9a6ccdbc33e63640354eee6fca.jpg1184934682_CDRJC1958-10-02Strabane11ErneJGDewing580227A.thumb.jpg.68b7ac860bb55dfe8f70f8ce5e4cfe74.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Irishswissernie said:

A couple more from the latest batch.

The horse box is interesting as it appears to have 2 compartments for different sized animals. At the left a dog box pig/young calf maybe.

The Highland Railway used to tie a calfs legs in sacks and give them to the guard to look after. (The whole calf not just the legs!)

The Strabane slide of Erne had a paper insert at the left and bottom to change the composition. I've seen it in print but can't find where. I,m using it as my screen saver so that the icons don't obscure the loco

1459922142_MGW1953-06-20CorkMGWRHorseBox19M047.thumb.jpg.36c74d9a6ccdbc33e63640354eee6fca.jpg1184934682_CDRJC1958-10-02Strabane11ErneJGDewing580227A.thumb.jpg.68b7ac860bb55dfe8f70f8ce5e4cfe74.jpg

The last of the Baltic tanks. The only one of the steam engines bought by Dr Cox for the USA not to survive. Ended up after working one of the lifting trains in Letterkenny. Despite being repainted in Swilly green ended up being scrapped in early 1968 to make room for a shopping centre!