Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

Roy Beattie was NIR's first civil engineer, though he later went on to become the General Manager. In 1968 he organised the purchase of NIR's first modern PW machines, e.g. a tamper and I think some other mobile track maintenance gadget. The UTA never had anything like this. From memory 'Mac' Arnold bewails their purchase in 'NCC Saga' as the money would have been better spent on repairing steam locomotives! Moving house tomorrow so no access to books at present to give more details. 

Edited by Lambeg man
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Lambeg man said:

Roy Beattie was NIR's first civil engineer, though he later went on to become the General Manager. In 1968 he organised the purchase of NIR's first modern PW machines, e.g. a tamper and I think some other mobile track maintenance gadget.

I don't think I've seen another photo of them. I expect they got a fair bit of use fettling track during the spoil contract.

Yes. Interestingly, 4 was not an RPSI engine at this point, and was still in ‘company’ service. 171 was running with an old VS tender in those days. And the RPSI didn’t own her either at that point - think it was the NI Transport Holding Company who actually owned 171 until 2003. As her boiler went out of ticket in 02, she has, technically, never steamed under RPSI ownership! 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Informative 1

As Lambeg man said earlier, it's on the 1969 Brian Boru tour, just after 171's return to service after the H&W overhaul. It was, I think, the RPSI's biggest enthusiast tour contingent - Ian Allan travel brought 70 over in a single group, to bring the passengers up to 300-odd.

Just after the No.4 shot, her pony truck derailed on the iffy shed trackwork and trapped 171 inside! The late Inspector Paddy Gannon, Bless him, simply said to Drew Donaldson - "Decide what you want to do?". The local PW men set to and had her on the track again very quickly - 171 (complete with blown gland) took the train forward on her own, but later 4 caught up (running LE bunk-first and double-headed from Ballybrophy - it's a long story .....   which I often re-tell during talk on the RPSI over here.

"Another place, another time" ...............    and a very different world!

Great stuff, Ernie, as always, thanks.

Yes its all coming back to me now! I also have scans of photos taken by the late Ken Groundwater (courtesy of the Armstrong Railway Photographic Trust) Ken was on the Tour and took a couple of shots of No 4 receiving 'treatment'  It does look as if the fitter is kicking the pony truck back onto the track whilst his mate is holding the loco up. Big strong lads at Limerick 😉

One of Ken's photos I put on here a few months or years back shows a number of Tour participants using a 141 as a bandstand.

140-17 GN No171 Ireland 03-69 (Brian Boru) (K Groundwater) 170.jpg

18 hours ago, Lambeg man said:

Roy Beattie was NIR's first civil engineer, though he later went on to become the General Manager. In 1968 he organised the purchase of NIR's first modern PW machines, e.g. a tamper and I think some other mobile track maintenance gadget.

The only yellow machines at that time seem to have been:

Unilok A2500 works tractor (1965) (now RPSI)

Plasser 05 tamper (1967)

Plasser AL203 lining machine (by 1968)

https://www.ontrackplant.com/forum/on-track-machines/old-nir-machines

https://steamtrainsireland.com/stocklist-diesel-locomotives

Edited by NIR
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 9:23 AM, Westcorkrailway said:

Irelands terrier. The old lady was a staple of rocksavage works. Even though the D class diesel had arrived and she was 75 years old at that point!

Delightful photo 

It's a funny turn around with the GN open wagon in Cork and the No90 loco now in Downpatrick.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

A bumper bundle of Irish narrow gauge uploaded to flickr; 71 Londonderry & Lough Swilly and 7 colour slides West Clare Diesels and railcars.

I thought there had been a colour shift on some West Clare slides but there does appear to have been 2 shades of green as both appear in some of the views.

CIE 1961-06-07 Ennis 3387 DT26-14

These railcars, like the AECs, were delivered in the dark green then the norm. On the West Clare, they never had any lining at all, let alone "flying snails".

However, several (not all) were repainted the lighter green; this photo admirably shows the two shades, albeit in a heavily weathered state, The reason it's a light green cab and a dark green passenger portion is that towards the end, one of the four power cars was usually out of use. I have a note somewhere of which one it was, but not to hand. As a result, the four passenger portions got swopped about at times.

Another anomaly appears to be that some power units had green roofs, some black.

On 1/3/2021 at 8:59 AM, Galteemore said:

LOL I liked those so much I’ve already posted separately ! Interesting details such as the sheer size of the larger vans, and the lightly rebranded ex GN open. 

Yes, and comparing it with the "H" van, you can see the older one has a green flying snail on it. CIE used eau-de-nil for numbers and "snails" at FIRST, but used white from the early 50s onwards.

Anyone modelling late 1940s or very early 50s would therefore have some vans still with a white "G S" on them with white number, or a "new" CIE logo and number in light green.

There were still a couple of VERY shabby goods vehicles with light green snails in West Cork at the time of closure.

• Like 3

Nice one Ernie. I think it’s D16 532, ‘Wolf Dog’ - just coming off Mr Holman’s workbench as she was in happier times - look at his mail train thread

Withdrawn 1949 or thereabouts and on washout duties at Broadstone till 57. Only scrapped in 1960 apparently after three years on a siding. 

Edited by Galteemore