Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

I have finished scanning and identifying another 140 odd Irish negatives mainly from 1959 but these 2 are I think from the 1920's. Belfast & County Down Railway 4-4-2T's at Belfast Queens Quay

Does anyone know when the Coaling Plant was built, quite a modern piece of kit for an Irish Railway . It possibly dates from the extensive re-building of Queens Quay in the 1910's.

B&CDR 1924-xx-xx Belfast Queens Quay 17 B&CDR 1924-xx-xx Belfast Queens Quay 11

Thanks, the film also looks like post WW2 stock as well.

Although these Cavan & Leitrim images are from 20 March 1959 the interior is still 1890's.

First 2 photos Coach 5L , 2nd class in foreground, First Class the upholstered armchair. to the rear. In the background, looks like livestock  judging by the evidence on the floor.

3rd photo 1L rebuilt with  upholstered 2nd class!

C&L 1959-03-20 Ballinamore Coach 5L interior 2nd & 1st class.jpg

C&L 1959-03-20 Arigna Coach 5L interior.jpg

C&L 1959-03-21 Ballinamore coach 1L interior.jpg

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 2

In relation to BCDR photos would say around 1949 and both locos remained in service until 1952/3 when replaced by the MEDs. Coaling plant authorised after end of WW2 using compensation money and modelled on the York Road example and completed by early 1947 just before the UTA take over and destruction of the BCDR system in 1950.

Edited by airfixfan
  • Like 1

I think 17 is more likely the 1920's as its in that era's livery and the view of No 6 I put on earlier is definitiely 1920's when it was the regular Ballynahinch branch loco and is in original un-rebuilt condition.

Another negative is of GNRI QL 114 pre 1932 when it was withdrawn. Now is this at Amiens St, can anyone confirm. LATER. I've identified it as being at Dundalk at the Loco shed sidings with the wagon repair shop behind.

GNRI 1932-xx-xxpre wdn. QL 114 possibly at  Amiens St.jpg

Agree having had a coffee and a second look at No 6 that is around the 1920s and likely to be from the same time asNo 17 then. Second BCDR photo between 1947 and 1952. Some English enthusiasts came to visit the BCDR when it was listed for closure so will still go for 1949 with the short lived Coaling plant. The GNR photo does look like the shed at Dublin now used by the RPSI.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, airfixfan said:

Agree having had a coffee and a second look at No 6 that is around the 1920s and likely to be from the same time asNo 17 then. Second BCDR photo between 1947 and 1952. Some English enthusiasts came to visit the BCDR when it was listed for closure so will still go for 1949 with the short lived Coaling plant. The GNR photo does look like the shed at Dublin now used by the RPSI.

Could that one be the old GNR goods yard at Amiens St., where the car park now is? There was a big goods shed in there.......

I am awaiting a Special Delivery today of 2000 negatives to identify and label up. The bad news for Irish enthusiasts is that they are all UK. The good news (for me) is that in return I can keep any I fancy.

There may be some more Irish, the sender of the last batch also included Swansea & Mumbles negs so hopefully some Irish have also been miss- sorted .

In the meantime 3 more Irish from the first lot. Cavan & Leitrim / CB&P coupling height differences. Ballinamore's high tec point & signal Control Centre & Waterford & Tramore's answer to luxury bus travel.

C&L 1959-03-21 Ballinamore CB&P couplig LH C&L coupling RH.jpg

C&L 1958-09-xx Ballinamore Lever frame.jpg

W&T 1934-06-15 Waterford Manor station 6whl coach No 6.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

I am awaiting a Special Delivery today of 2000 negatives to identify and label up. The bad news for Irish enthusiasts is that they are all UK. The good news (for me) is that in return I can keep any I fancy.

There may be some more Irish, the sender of the last batch also included Swansea & Mumbles negs so hopefully some Irish have also been miss- sorted .

In the meantime 3 more Irish from the first lot. Cavan & Leitrim / CB&P coupling height differences. Ballinamore's high tec point & signal Control Centre & Waterford & Tramore's answer to luxury bus travel.

C&L 1959-03-21 Ballinamore CB&P couplig LH C&L coupling RH.jpg

C&L 1958-09-xx Ballinamore Lever frame.jpg

W&T 1934-06-15 Waterford Manor station 6whl coach No 6.jpg

When former C&MLR Tank 6s arived at the S&SLR following that lines closure, the loco had such different coupling heights it had to be sent to inchicore for modification immediately after it arived

• Informative 1

21 minutes ago, connollystn said:

Is there an photograph in existence for Waterford Manor Street Station? I don't recall ever seeing one. Considering how short the line was, and not connected to any other railway, it seems to have had an interesting history.

http://www.waterfordmuseum.ie/exhibit/web/DisplayImage/K0qfsMMKxRJps/1/Manor_Street_Railway_Station_Waterford_City.html;jsessionid=F97116E9EA89A5324353A6620110FB0A

I usually upload 2 or 3 new Irish images to ERNIE's Railway Archive on Flickr every day unless Madame has other ideas as to what I should be doing. At present there are another 1078 scanned and  awaiting upload so enough to see out 2021. Everything is in albums but you can catch the daily new material by checking out the Photostream.

Images I put on here are not always added to Flickr at the same time though. These 2 were added today Limerick 1960

CIE 1960-09-14 Limerick A9 11.45 ex Galway DT18-21 CIE 1960-09-14 Limerick ex SLNC 2509 DT18-10

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/

• Thanks 1
  • WOW! 1

On 4/4/2021 at 9:45 PM, Irishswissernie said:

This view of Inspection Car No 2 in 1961 at Kildare I uploaded a couple of days ago has gone down well on Flickr. Its been picked up by the International Group 'In Explore' and now has over 6000 hits and 112 favourites.

I particularly like the leather plush seats and what appears to be a starting handle on the front! I wonder what happened to it. Might have to persuade Alan to build me one.

CIE 1961-06-04 Kildare Inspection Car No2 DT23-23

That looks a great little thing - do you know was it self-propelled like the current iteration or was it loco-pushed?

Edited by ShaneC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting Ernie. For some reason in this particular photograph the buffers of the Railcar look almost too large to be real. As a matter of interest, who was the photographer? Is this the early afternoon arrival from Bantry?

Edited by Lambeg man

8 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

I noticr the wasp design on the roof, i see these the odd time. Were they a short design experiment?

It does seem to have been relatively short-lived and doesn't seem to have been rolled out across the fleet - just on a small number of units.

Always thought it was an odd location to place the stripes; you would think placing wasp stripes or a yellow panel below the windscreen would have proved more beneficial in allowing someone to spot a train hurtling towards them...

1 hour ago, Lambeg man said:

Thanks for posting Ernie. For some reason in this particular photograph the buffers of the Railcar look almost too large to be real. As a matter of interest, who was the photographer? Is this the early afternoon arrival from Bantry?

Photgrapher was a D Twibell. Looking at the shadows with the sun setting on the left it looks like a late-ish afternoon shot.

35 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

I noticr the wasp design on the roof, i see these the odd time. Were they a short design experiment?

Yes, they were - only a few cars (for all I'm aware maybe only one) got them. And it did run in West Cork on some occasions, as I've seem pics of it at Bantry and Albert Quay.

However in the above pic, that's a shadow of telegraph wires - you'll see it goes right along the roof. Roofs were normally black.

17 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

Photgrapher was a D Twibell. Looking at the shadows with the sun setting on the left it looks like a late-ish afternoon shot.

Yes, arrival 2.30pm in Cork. Tail lamp on railcar.

1 hour ago, Lambeg man said:

ks for posting Ernie. For some reason in this particular photograph the buffers of the Railcar look almost too large to be real. 

The AEC cars were given a trial on the Valentina branch (though never used there). They needed the wider buffers for sharp curves. Some bogie coaches were fitted with them too.

1 hour ago, Irishswissernie said:

2660 at Albert Quay 1960. Was this a rebuilt crash repair?

It's one of the ones Mr. Bulleid got built at Inchicore, additional to the 60 from AEC, 2660-2665. They appeared in 1957, but were all converted to powered intermediates from as early as 1961.  2660 was one of the railcars on the last day of service.

Edited by BSGSV

2 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

They needed the wider buffers for sharp curves. Some bogie coaches were fitted with them too.

If sharp curves on the Valencia branch or anywhere else were the whole reason, why then were several ex-GNR Railcars, both AEC and BUT, that went to CIE fitted with these large 2' buffers post 1960?