Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, DiveController said:

Sambo was definitely at Inchicore, not sure of the loco pilot at Broadstone before closure

Thanks DiveController, maybe someone will have a memory of it.

The second photo reminds me of school days many years ago and the other Guinness narrow gauge.  I also recall a super Guinness model layout being exhibited at a Spring Show or Horse Show at the RDS.  That's a long time ago.

• Like 1

On 21/10/2021 at 8:22 AM, Irishswissernie said:

UTA today. MED 18 and  NCC 4 circa 1965. 

UTA  1965ca   7 UTA MED No 18 neg7 UTA 1965ca NCC No 4 neg9

Have a colour photo of NCC Railcar No 4 in the same location from August 1966 in my collection.

58 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Afaik this is the handover ceremony for 186 to the RPSI. A special was run from Belfast for the occasion. 

Last time a Jeep other than No 4 visited Dublin?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hhmmm, Ernie (and Kevin), the lout trespassing in that 1968  shot of the B Class is

ME (!)  

I think I had a camera bag like that then, the side burns, ears and specs look like me and I was certainly there (and on the ECS the day before).

Aaarrrgghhh!

On the previous Wednesday evening, I had my last run with steam on the Belfast Boat Express - the only time I travelled on it right through from Manchester. By the time I returned the following Monday, it was diesel and the brilliant fiery runs each evening from Preston to Lancaster on the train were gone forever.

Ernie, thanks for sharing these (even if embarrassing). Not many shots of trains at Armagh.

2 hours ago, DiveController said:

Very nostalgic. Day of the Slieve Cualann Railtour

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1
  • Funny 4

8 hours ago, Lambeg man said:

Yes, given that the car behind is one of the UTA built AEC Railcars (6 or 7) and appears to be 'dumped' like No. 4, I would have dated this 1966 or later.

Would tend to agree that looks like UTA Railcars 6 or 7. Have photos of them.in use at GVS from August 1965.  With a similar colour photo of Railcar 4 from August 1965 would also suggest circa 1966?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for sight of these, Ernie. Interesting to see a VS at the water column at Dundalk rather than one of our preserved engines. Lovely clear photo, pity it's one of them with the larger smoke deflectors - which I never really liked. The shorter version, ending at the handrail really gave them a certain look.

It is one of the great regrets of my life not to have travelled more than 743 miles behind three of them - but the memory of a footplate ride on the immortal 207 as Ned O'Hara flung her and her ten coach load into the Knockarney dip at sixty mph was and is unforgettable.

There are (some) benefits to being an old codger!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Galteemore said:

That’s gorgeous Ernie. The gleaming VS at Dundalk is pure GN glory. However, just imagine getting on board that PP and heading to Enniskillen in time for the 7:20….even though I think the PP is pointing towards Derry ! 

Correct David at that stage the PP Class were still seen on local trains from Omagh to Derry etc. Rare photo of a QG Class as well

• Like 1

Interesting to see 27 at work - most shots of her in later years are on shed. Illustrates huge size of brown vans. Think that may be the day of the Dalriada railtour or similar / note all the gricers! WT 10 was notorious in later years for having a huge hole in the cab floor which made the fireman’s life a bit sporty 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

It's probably been commented on before but aren't the tablet catchers the wrong way round on the B class?

It would need a man riding in the rear cab to collect the tablet as well as the driver in the front.

Seems a bit odd, any reason why they were used like that?

• Like 1

It was covered in a previous topic as the eBay photo had been snipped and commented upon

This was Garfields reply then

•  
  •  

I've seen a couple of other photos of the Sulzers with snatchers fitted and they also had them fitted in this way; it seems the snatcherman had to travel in the rear cab. I'm not sure if there was a communication system in the cabs or if it was a case of the snatcherman having to run through the engine room to warn the driver if the staff wasn't picked up successfully...

• Thanks 1