Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Just to add to the set I knew I had a JG Dewing image of the Cookstown goods at Randalstown both in black & white and in colour. The colour view hasn't been uploaded due to computer problems earlier this year so hear it is. 7 May 1959 together with his b&w shot.

NCC 1959-05-07 Randalstown 13 on Cookstown goods JGDewing NCC 1959-05-07 Randalstown, 13 on Cookstown Goods JGD591103

Ernie

So you have (some of?) John Dewing's slides? Wonderful! A lovely man who used to regale us with all manner of stories after IRRS London meetings.

In the colour picture, you can see his bike leaning against the signal cabin. He was an inveterate cyclist (like the immortal Drew Donaldson) and was still riding his bike to London meetings in his eighties!

• Like 5
  • WOW! 1

I have approx 40 Dewing original slides and 200 odd negatives, most will be on flickr but there may be some that have been missed due to the computer 'crash'

Ballybay 19 Dec 1959 with the Last Day special. The date was also my 12th birthday and my birthday present was a Triang TT gauge 3f tank and goods train mounted on a 3 feet square board with no scope for adding sidings etc so interest in it soon palled!

Strabane with S2 190 shunting, 15 May 1959

The last view is 132 on an IRRS Special along the Oldcastle branch, 3 June 1961

GNRI 1959-12-19 Ballybay 'last train spl' GNRI 1959-05-15 Strabane S2 190 GNRI 1961-06-03 IRRS spl on Oldcastle branch 132 (1)

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 5
  • WOW! 1

26 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

Alex Ford views from 1950 today courtesy of the Transport Library.

Limerick shed J11 No. 219

Claremorris D17 No. 16 on the 4 July 1950

Ennis, West Clare 5C on shed  same date

AF0181 Limerick J11 no 219 5July1950 AF0131 CIE Claremorris D17. 16 4July1950

AF0133 West Clare Ennis 5C 4July 1950

What’s especially striking here - compared to many 60s images -  is the cleanliness of the engines. And look at that PW in Claremorris station - not a weed in sight !

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

More Alex Ford/Transport Library views today.

GNRI 28 June 1950 . 84 at Dublin Amiens Street with a couple of interesting wagons in the photo. A bogie van on the train but also an open slat sided wagon  which reminds me of wagons to carry empty beer kegs/ milk churns  etc  .

Next 5 July 1950 , 191 at a rather rural looking Limerick.

Finally 27 June 1950 Dublin Harcourt Street, G2 657

AF1494 GNRI Dublin Amiens St 84 28June 1950 AF0147 CIE Limerick 191 5July1950 AF1505 CIE Dublin Harcourt St G2 657 27June1950

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Irishswissernie said:

More Alex Ford/Transport Library views today.

Finally 27 June 1950 Dublin Harcourt Street, G2 657

AF1505 CIE Dublin Harcourt St G2 657 27June1950

The coach on the right appears to have been converted from Drumm Train A. 

The Drumm Trains were withdrawn and some converted to hauled stock when the batteries required replacement in the late 1940s

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

also an open slat sided wagon  which reminds me of wagons to carry empty beer kegs/ milk churns  etc  .

I will stand corrected, but is that not one of the turf wagons provided during 'The Emergency'?

12 hours ago, Galteemore said:

A GN ‘P’ van in the train.

I think I am correct in saying this is the 14.30 Dublin-Belfast service. The 'P' van was marshalled at the front but was then dropped off at either Drogheda or Dundalk to be taken further by a later service. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Once again great pictures from irishswissernie, this is my favourite thread (except when IRM announce a new model). Have never been to Youghal but the station seems to be some distance from the town - is there a reason for this? Love the photos of trains on the streets of Cork, did any other city/town have trains (not trams) operating on their' streets?

• Thanks 1