a class green

Rate this question

richrua

Question

25 answers to this question

Thank you mr. Glenderg. Unfortunately the good lord decided to make me colour blind and at the same time not a bad artist and craftsman. So i find it really hard to match a can to a livery if you know what i mean. If there was a name or a number it would help! ... :-) i once saved for ages for a walkman . Walked into peats . Bought a pink one thinking it was grey.....

Hi folks i have a silver fox a class kit at the painting stage. Would like to go green livery. Which green would be a good spray ?

Hi Rich,

There two shades of green you need to consider when painting an A or C class namely a dark green and a light green. I have painted A and C class kits in the light shade but never the dark shade but I have painted CIE coaches in both shades which I have a pic to explain.

CIE greens.jpg

In this picture I have used an Airbrush with Humbrol no. 2 Emerald Green Gloss for the Park Royal coach in the foreground of the picture which is the lighter shade of green livery used and in the center backroud of the pic there is a GSR Bredin Mail Van in early CIE dark green ( the dark shade also used on some A and C classes) for which I used Humbrol no. 3 Brunswick Green Gloss , agained applied with an airbrush. For the light green lining on both coaches I used Humbrol no 90 Beige Green Matt again airbrushed and there was a light green waistband on some of the green A and C's both light and dark green in this colour.

I know Humbrol do aerosol spray paints but I am not sure if the carry the above colours but I would encourage you to buy a basic airbrush and compressor set because it makes painting so much easier and enjoyable once you get over the initial fear of using an airbrush!!!!

Have a look at this page and see if there are any photographs that meet your colour needs. The A Class appeared in a variety of shades of green, with stripes, without stripes, with flying snail, without flying snail, etc, etc.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Green-CIE-Locomotives&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=kqqhU-OWEpLe7AbZhoDAAg&ved=0CCkQsAQ&biw=1286&bih=544

If link fails type, CIE-green-locomotives into a search engine and it should connect you with this link.

David J White.

Have a look at this page and see if there are any photographs that meet your colour needs. The A Class appeared in a variety of shades of green, with stripes, without stripes, with flying snail, without flying snail, etc, etc.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Green-CIE-Locomotives&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=kqqhU-OWEpLe7AbZhoDAAg&ved=0CCkQsAQ&biw=1286&bih=544

If link fails type, CIE-green-locomotives into a search engine and it should connect you with this link.

David J White.

As Rich said earlier in the thread, he's colour blind so he needs people to recommend specific colour codes or names...

One "A" class loco received dark green. I think it was A46, but in the midst of moving house - a convoluted affair with a new one being built - a lot of my researchy type of stuff is in storage, so I can't be sure off the top of my head which one for certain. It didn't stay that colour long, as black was coming down the road.

The colour currently carried by the "C" at Downpatrick is the correct green for any diesel post 1955. I am afraid I don't know the code though.

Thanks everyone - it is ok - I am sorry to ask such basic questions. I had a tin of Brunswick gloss. In the back garden I don't think it is not too far off a picture I have in the Irish Traction book. It will be dark looking in the attic though!

I don't really mind. I have enjoyed building it. Anyway - I didn't shave off the lights because I might feel brave someday and go all orange and black on it.

I wish there were more of these great kits available.

Thanks everyone - it is ok - I am sorry to ask such basic questions. I had a tin of Brunswick gloss. In the back garden I don't think it is not too far off a picture I have in the Irish Traction book. It will be dark looking in the attic though!

I don't really mind. I have enjoyed building it. Anyway - I didn't shave off the lights because I might feel brave someday and go all orange and black on it.

I wish there were more of these great kits available.

They're still available from Silver Fox....... http://silverfoxmodels.co.uk/ir-ie-001-class-a-class-co-co-metropolitan-vickers/