enniscorthymans workbench

Rate this topic

enniscorthyman

I dont know how long it will be before the chip is released.I was at Downpatrick for the recordings as Gerry Byrne who organised

everything could not go so I got the job of driver for Mr sound guy.Anthony came along as well and we had a great time.The staff

were very friendly and helpfull,and even have a small layout in a station room.Here is a video of actual recording on the way to Inch

Abbey with a empty stock working.You might hear me asking the driver how thirsty is A39 on diesel and he replys -18 lts a hour ticking over.Click on image to view.

th_b68cc106.jpg

th_fb47d81d.jpg

th_77d7b2e0.jpg

eamonn, what was the max speed she did while the recording was done?

25mph is the max speed limit on the DCDR, so I'd guess it was pushed up to that. Plenty of time to get in all throttle settings.

I'm sure Enniscorthyman has all the details from the day, though. :)

Edited by Garfield

25mph is the max speed limit on the DCDR, so I'd guess it was pushed up to that. Plenty of time to get in all throttle settings.

I'm sure Enniscorthyman has all the details from the day, though. :)

Thats exactly the speed we done.When Gerry Byrne organised Mr Sound guy to travel to Downpatrick,the ITG(who own A39) said that A39 is

looked after very well and is not pushed very hard and kept to about 25 mph as Patrick has said.However as can be seen from the first video

we did push the empty stock up hill for a while and got a load condition.That is probobally as good as it gets,as the days of laden beet 001s

charging up Taylorstown viaduct will never happen again.As can be seen the ITG have done a fantastic job in the engine room as well,with

a hell of a lot of work done painting etc.I cant wait to hear the sound chip.Keith(Mr Sound Guy) was telling me about the process involved

in recording the sound wihich is the easy bit,however a lot of work is involved to get the sounds right for the chip.Keith has considerable

experience as a sound engineer so that helps.As for the future,class 80,121,C 226,and anything with a engine or steam can be recorded.

I dont think so Seamus.If you have heard the 071 class chip, that does not have the turbo charged roar

at 90 mph that you heard miles away,as the 071 class that was recorded (088) was stationery in Waterford

yard.I dont know if IE would give permission for a recording at speed for a 071.

As for the A class we will never see 60/70 mph on these again.

I'd doubt the engine sound on the A class would differ much between 25mph and 60/70mph, as it depends on throttle position and load, rather than speed. Same story with the 071... they can be seen at low speeds, with full throttle and turbo screaming.

And that sound of a 071 at full throttle and turbo screaming

is a sound to behold.

I'd doubt the engine sound on the A class would differ much between 25mph and 60/70mph, as it depends on throttle position and load, rather than speed. Same story with the 071... they can be seen at low speeds, with full throttle and turbo screaming.

I have been messing around fitting HO & O Gauge sound decoders to Large Scale locos, with diesels sound volume and current consumption seems to peak around 25% throttle position and then eases off in a similar manner to a real loco.

Enniscorthy Man that level crossing gate/boom really looks the part distinctly Irish.

John

I have been messing around fitting HO & O Gauge sound decoders to Large Scale locos, with diesels sound volume and current consumption seems to peak around 25% throttle position and then eases off in a similar manner to a real loco.

Enniscorthy Man that level crossing gate/boom really looks the part distinctly Irish.

John

Thanks John,I have a love for The older beam level

crossings and this kit is really nice.I am finding it hard

to get time to pop out to the man shed to my work in

progress.During the 90s I took great insperation from the

former Waterford-Ballinacourty branch and spent time taking

Photos with my late Father of LCs,tunnels,viaducts,which got

me thinking that I have to start at the modelling end of things.

This line seemed to have a abundance of LCs with rather large

Gates near the two road crossings near Kilmackthomas.Even today

few gates remain despite the track having been lifted.

Eamonn

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the 30 ton break van done.I have to say the kit is very enjoyable to

build,and well done Des.I used Ral 3009-red oixed from Vinnie Byrne .com as this

has proved very handy for me as I dont have a proper air brush system so this works

a treat,as the ballast hopper wagons and MIR bogie feralizer wagons got the same.

Plenty of superglue left on the body will give a flakey appearance when paint is put on

as this will give a somewhat wornout rusty-like areas that appear on the real thing.

breakvan019.jpg

breakvan020.jpg

breakvan023.jpg

breakvan026.jpg

breakvan027.jpg

breakvan028.jpg

breakvan032.jpg

breakvan036.jpg

breakvan038.jpg

breakvan041.jpg

breakvan043.jpg

breakvan044.jpg

Great shots, fantastic looking work you captured the look just right, and credit to Des on yet another splendid looking kit.

Thanks for that.the only hard part for me with this kit was to

source a proper roof.I used some scrap brass plate from the

kit along with a section of very thin plasticard that I had.

It's not perfect but I am happy with result.