Greystones Model Railway Layout.

Rate this topic

closetmodeller

i love the concrete . i need an area like that . how is it done ?

Hi richrua

Its done like this;-

Stick down art cardboard and grey undercoat it, then with a watery mix of Baseboard Dave's Polka powder 5101, paint on and keep the brush lines going in one direction, I then did a second coat even waterier all over and then added a bit of black water-base paint to the mix for around the tracks. I dashed on water in places to get a ware and pooling effect to the concrete surface around the tracks.

note;- I used polyfiller to fill in the track where the card didn't! use another filler the polyfiller bloated with the water in the concrete mix when painting it on- I had to clean out the track twice so wheels could run!!

Then mark out the concrete joins with straight edge and a sharp HB pencil or softer, then cut into the marked lines with a craft knife to give depth, then stick the pencil in the cut and draw it again freehand filling the cut with pencil lead. Take some pencil lead dust and smudge it around with fingers and paint brush- use a piece of paper to mask the edges of the concrete slabs to get variations.

In the end the whole thing will be sprayed with a matt varnish before green stuff and wood-chip is laid down, there is more to go on it yet- keep watching

Eoin

Hi All

Was by the Greystones layout dropping off the now illuminated commuter train, DCC directional and coach lights added, it looks great but needs a few holes filled here and there......

CM took a few photos;-

GS-39 IMAG2073.jpg

GS-40 WP-02.jpg

GS-41 WP-05.jpg

GS-42 WP-03.jpg

GS-43 WP-04.jpg

GS-44 IMAG2080.jpg

I reckon another resistor is required on the coach lights

Eoin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

And now for a little track weathering...

Just used Humbrol 70 matt and matt black, this is not really the time to do this but the paint on the ballast tones the colour down and I reckon it looks better- The ballast train has neglected to service this area!

First shots are the first coat;-

GS-45 WP_20160408.jpg

GS-46 WP_20160408_11_21_36_Smart.jpg

GS-47 WP_20160408_11_21_48_Smart.jpg

GS-48 WP_20160408_11_22_06_Smart.jpg

Next the second coat and a third with matt black added at points and track centre only;-

GS-49 WP_20160409_19_51_52_Pro.jpg

GS-50 WP_20160409_19_52_13_Pro.jpg

GS-51 WP_20160409_19_51_32_Pro.jpg

We'll give the rail tops a scarp in a few days, I'd say the points blades will need it to

Eoin

Hi All

Track is now cleaned up, new Multimause DCC controller installed, and a bit of programming done, we then set about test erecting the back scenes to see where the joins will be so we can work out masking them- it all worked perfectly the duplicate features in the back scenes line up with the bridges of the model with one requiring a large tree.

We then ran trains and took a few photos;-

GS-52 WP_20160422_13_07_48_Smart.jpg

GS-53 IMAG2100.jpg

GS-54 IMAG2098.jpg

GS-55 IMAG2103.jpg

GS-56 WP_20160422_13_05_03_Pro.jpg

GS-57 WP_20160422_13_08_21_Smart.jpg

Eoin & CM

Hi

CM sent me a few photos of the layout- moody light n all, but looks great even though a lot more needs doing;-

GS-58 WP_20160429_007.jpg

GS-59 WP_20160429_002.jpg

GS-60 WP_20160429_004.jpg

GS-61 WP_20160429_008.jpg

The back scene works very well, when the ground line disappears with some planting and scrub- it's going to work very well....

Eoin & CM

• 1 month later...

Hi

Here a a few shots of the back-scene, its three sheets mounted on card;-

After a disastrous start trying to stick the scenes straight to the wall, we changed tack and stuck the scenes onto card and now they will be stuck to the wall - much easier. Luckily we started at the end that we had a spare scene- as we are using 1 and a half the same scenes for the length of the layout.

GS-62 WP_20160611_004.jpg

GS-63 WP_20160611_003.jpg

GS-64 WP_20160611_002.jpg

A few little blemishes on the first attempt- I think we can fix them, the other two worked wonderfully after reading the instructions again!!

Eoin

Hi

The back scenes went up on the wall today and DART 8101 was sent out to test the scenes and the new stone cladding added to the road bridges;-

The Dublin road bridge....

GS-65 IMAG2176.jpg

GS-66 IMAG2183.jpg

GS-67 IMAG2185.jpg

...and at the other end- the road bridge to the timber yard- love the mountains through the arch!

GS-68 IMAG2179.jpg

GS-69 IMAG2193.jpg

GS-70 IMAG2191.jpg

Eoin & CM

Hi Dave

It's flush inkjet print on mat paper card- a photo of stone wall Photoshopped and made fit the CAD template for the bridge foam structure cutting- as seen in previous posts above. There is a little bit of shading added here and there with grey Magic Marker and white pencil 'Highlights'- it works well giving a 3d appearance...

• 2 weeks later...

Some test prints of a fuel tank;-

Two versions of the fuel tank. The blue is in 00 scale and the grey in H0. They were both produced by uploading a free library design and the printing on my 3D printer. The design is in H0 scale, which I then reprinted by scaling up to 00.

GS-71 WP_20160701_002.jpg

GS-72 WP_20160701_001.jpg

GS-73 WP_20160701_006.jpg

GS-74 WP_20160701_007.jpg

Both lower photos illustrate the coarseness of the printing process using my XYZ da Vinci 1.0 printer.

Will Brexit mean that we will now have to change from 00 to H0?

CM

Edited by murrayec

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Following a suggestion from Dave Lindfield, we decided to install bar couplers in place of the traditional flat magnetic couplers. The bars are 3 mm dia. By 13 mm long and are inserted into vertical holes drilled between the sleepers. Six bar magnets, in two rows of three opposite each other, were used. A first attempt, using weaker magnets, was not successful, so we upgraded to N42 Neodymium magnets. These work but seem to require sensitive adjustment to the Kadee coupler “hooks”.

Further adjustment will need to be done, but the overall effect is very neat and unobtrusive.

GS-75 WP_20160710_005.jpg

GS-76 WP_20160718_003.jpg

...and here is a photo of my 3d printed buffer stops, glued, fettled and painted

GS-77 WP_20160710_002.jpg

CM

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Here are some photos of the first layers of scenic going down;-

Dyed sawdust with PVA was spread out over the grass areas, this covered that loud flock we used previously around the timber yard and Southern Track, it looks a lot better now. A layer of 2 types of contrasting fine flock was added for highlights and variation in the base layer- more will be added as the sawdust dries.

GS-79 IMAG2277.jpg

GS-80 IMAG2268.jpg

Up close shows the sawdust works really well, you can also see the fine contrasting flock throughout. Next in this area is the brambles and static grass in scrub n overgrown fashion.

GS-81 IMAG2274.jpg

GS-82 IMAG2275.jpg

This area is the pond/swamp thing, harking to the Murrough and the Reed Beds on down towards Wicklow Town, so it will be some reeds n brown water for this area.

GS-83 IMAG2276.jpg

GS-84 IMAG2271.jpg

We've only got the bridge up and the council is already digging a hole in it!

GS-85 IMAG2280.jpg

And the Greystones Permanent Way Inspector out closing the gate!

GS-86 IMAG2282.jpg

Eoin & CM

Edited by murrayec