Recommended model paints

Rate this question

Noel

Question

Hi Folks

1. Any advice and recommendations for suitable paints for resprays and weathering?
  2. Is there a suitable enamel paint for "CIE tan" (i.e. like MM cravens) or will I need to mix? (marks had a product but out of stock)

Most of the folks on spraying videos seem to be using Railmatch enamel paints and Railmatch matt varnish to seal resprays and weathering work. Are these the right sort of paints, enamel v acrylic, etc?

• 406 Sleeper grime (bogies/under frames)
  • 403 Roof dirt (roofs, exhaust, boggie springs)
  • 402 Frame Dirt (under frames)
  • 412 Weathered black (exhaust/grills)
  • 407 Matt varnish

Any other suggestions would be welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

Noel

Edited by Noel

32 answers to this question

Is there a supplier of Railmatch paints in Ireland?

I recently ordered from a well known UK supplier who informed me they had to charge a whopping GBP £30 for courier delivery because they are paints (i.e. hazardous chemicals - joke!!), so I cancelled the order.

Great resource, Richie and well explained! Not sure why its not a sticky:confused:

Absolutely concur, missed that thread the first time around, superb. The Glenmeister strikes again.

I'd agree on the airfix matts, those f%$£ers were the divil for drying out and wasting very rare 70's pocket money, and at 50p a pot, that was NOT insignificant!

Is there a supplier of Railmatch paints in Ireland?

I recently ordered from a well known UK supplier who informed me they had to charge a whopping GBP £30 for courier delivery because they are paints (i.e. hazardous chemicals - joke!!), so I cancelled the order.

Get set up with Parcel Motel. They will ship to them at normal rates (some suppliers post free within the UK) and you just pay €4 to have it shipped to the nearest ParcelMotel machine.

Get set up with Parcel Motel. They will ship to them at normal rates (some suppliers post free within the UK) and you just pay €4 to have it shipped to the nearest ParcelMotel machine.

I use parcel motel all the time. However the likes of Howes will NOT post paints to NI, IOM, or even the Isle of Wight, only the island of GB unless a courier is used! They refused to post enamel paints to NI even though it's in the UK.

I use parcel motel all the time. However the likes of Howes will NOT post paints to NI, IOM, or even the Isle of Wight, only the island of GB unless a courier is used! They refused to post enamel paints to NI even though it's in the UK.

Try Peter's Spares, they have an Ebay store.

One further point on that, I contacted Parcel Motel last week to see if they had a GB delivery address. They don't, only NI, and they didn't seem at all interested in setting one up. Perhaps if others were to ask them the same thing, they might introduce delivery from the other island.

If you can get Humbrol paints, my advice is to get hold of a copy of Martyn Welch's The Art of Weathering ( Wild Swan). Gives a painting by numbers approach to the subject, using standard colours.

Eg: for chassis weathering use 53 (gunmetal) and 133(bauxite) with matt black and leather or orange.

By some distance my most well used book and I refer to it for every new paint job.

If you can get Humbrol paints, my advice is to get hold of a copy of Martyn Welch's The Art of Weathering ( Wild Swan). Gives a painting by numbers approach to the subject, using standard colours.

Eg: for chassis weathering use 53 (gunmetal) and 133(bauxite) with matt black and leather or orange.

By some distance my most well used book and I refer to it for every new paint job.

Thanks David. I have a large stock of Humbrol paints which years ago I used to mix by eye to get the colours I was looking for when painting by brush. After receiving some excellent advise from folk on here and UK forums I have decided to try Acrylics for spraying which seem somewhat easier to work with in terms of vapour, spray gun cleaning and uk vendors will post to Ireland. I've been advised to use only Acrylic thinners rather that distilled water for thinning and mixing. Will try the 'The Art of Weathering' book despite my lexdisic slowness reading text. :) I generally prefer visuals and videos. Noel

An old thread I know, but curious to know if anyone has used the railmatch acrylic line of paints. Like Noel I want to get the dirt colours but the carriage is pretty hot from the Uk for a few tins of enamel paint.

Have read through the acrylic v enamel post by Richie in the past.

I've taken a dislike to Vallejo paints/primers. Just can't get them to work. This is most likely a case of bad workman blaming his tools as I know there are many people out there who swear by them.....

Love the Tamiya acrylics. Mixes and sprays easy giving a solid finish - I have both their acrylic and laquer thinners. Using the laquer thinner seems to give a good bite into plastic and I use it to thin their paint to lay instead of primer on plastic models.

So before splashing out on the railmatch acrylic, I was hoping to hear if they are any good or not. Would rather pay the extra carriage for the enamel than for potentially unusable acrylics.....

An old thread I know, but curious to know if anyone has used the railmatch acrylic line of paints. Like Noel I want to get the dirt colours but the carriage is pretty hot from the Uk for a few tins of enamel paint.

Have read through the acrylic v enamel post by Richie in the past.

I've taken a dislike to Vallejo paints/primers. Just can't get them to work. This is most likely a case of bad workman blaming his tools as I know there are many people out there who swear by them.....

Love the Tamiya acrylics. Mixes and sprays easy giving a solid finish - I have both their acrylic and laquer thinners. Using the laquer thinner seems to give a good bite into plastic and I use it to thin their paint to lay instead of primer on plastic models.

So before splashing out on the railmatch acrylic, I was hoping to hear if they are any good or not. Would rather pay the extra carriage for the enamel than for potentially unusable acrylics.....

If you're ordering from the UK then use Parcel Motel, it will save you a fortune!

I tried the Railmatch acrylics myself and did'nt really like them. I generally don't like acrylics much at all for airbruhing as they dry too quickly which makes cleanup a pain.

For weathering I use Humbrol Enamels. They are cheap enough and readily available from hobby and toy shops and can be thinned with normal white spirits. For weathering I really only use Matt Black no. 33 and Matt Leather no. 62, the Matt Leather straight out of the tin is very close to a rusty rail colour and mixing it with the black with give you pretty much any shade of trackside muck you could want!

AddressPal is more effective for getting enamel paints here by post because An Post's pickup depots are on the UK mainland, whereas Parcel Motel depot is in NI which is off the island of GB, hence 'hazchem' over water by air or sea, and Royal Mail won't deliver enamels off the island. AP and PM are the same cost, but AP allows 5 working days to collect from your nearest PO, whereas PM give you only 48hrs from a limited no of pickup locations.

From address pal website' date=' Think restrictions are the same as An post and royal mail. hope this helps. 20. Are there any restrictions in what can be sent using this service ◦ Yes, please see our prohibited/restricted list for more details at: www.anpost.ie/ProhibitedItems.

Thanks that was my understanding too. Some of the posts above suggested using it so perhaps they were lucky!