JasonB Posted Saturday at 09:15 Author Posted Saturday at 09:15 Tara Mines wagons with weathering applied. 9 7
RedRich Posted Saturday at 16:51 Posted Saturday at 16:51 A fantastic model fantastically weathered. Amazing technique and finish. 1
John-r Posted Saturday at 17:25 Posted Saturday at 17:25 All of the above comments, as I'm totally lost for words, that is just something else Jason, brilliant. 1
derek Posted Saturday at 19:13 Posted Saturday at 19:13 (edited) Unbelievably good Jason. The rooves (roofs?) are something else Edited Saturday at 19:13 by derek 1
popeye Posted Saturday at 20:45 Posted Saturday at 20:45 Excellent weathering on the roofs Can I just say that they all look very similar on the sides and if some light grey power was used on some wagons would help with variety. Not a criticism, I just think it would make them even better. I have attached a pic from Fred Dean to show what I mean. 1
west_clare_wanderer Posted Saturday at 23:07 Posted Saturday at 23:07 Just echoing the above comments, what absolutely fantastic work! They look amazing 1 1
west_clare_wanderer Posted yesterday at 13:06 Posted yesterday at 13:06 16 hours ago, popeye said: Excellent weathering on the roofs Can I just say that they all look very similar on the sides and if some light grey power was used on some wagons would help with variety. Not a criticism, I just think it would make them even better. I have attached a pic from Fred Dean to show what I mean. That's a really interesting photo. It reminds me that we need to look at the prototype rather than weathering wagons to look like other weathered models! A friend of mine often reminds me that weathering follows the lines/streaks of rain water. I always try to think of this when I'm finishing models. Buildings as well as stock. 2
JasonB Posted yesterday at 16:05 Author Posted yesterday at 16:05 2 hours ago, west_clare_wanderer said: That's a really interesting photo. It reminds me that we need to look at the prototype rather than weathering wagons to look like other weathered models! A friend of mine often reminds me that weathering follows the lines/streaks of rain water. I always try to think of this when I'm finishing models. Buildings as well as stock. I looked at a number of photographs before I started working on these (as I always do) and there are plenty images which show the wagons without the grey streaking. Saying that, I did apply grey weathering powders to the sides of some of my wagons to replicate the build up of dust and streaks but I wasn't happy with how the matt varnish reacted with the powders, so this was airbrushed over. I might revisit this and try a different technique, or then again, I might not. 2
popeye Posted yesterday at 18:57 Posted yesterday at 18:57 You can blend in weathering powers and don't varnish over it. The real wagons are not varnished
JasonB Posted 23 hours ago Author Posted 23 hours ago 31 minutes ago, popeye said: You can blend in weathering powers and don't varnish over it. The real wagons are not varnished I'm aware of this, I've used powders numerous times. I prefer to seal powders if I can. They tend to smudge when handling the model. 1
west_clare_wanderer Posted 20 hours ago Posted 20 hours ago 6 hours ago, JasonB said: I looked at a number of photographs before I started working on these (as I always do) and there are plenty images which show the wagons without the grey streaking. Saying that, I did apply grey weathering powders to the sides of some of my wagons to replicate the build up of dust and streaks but I wasn't happy with how the matt varnish reacted with the powders, so this was airbrushed over. I might revisit this and try a different technique, or then again, I might not. No need at all for you to revisit! They look absolutely superb! The rooves in particular are some of the best weathering I've ever seen. That prototype comment was meant for myself, and certainly not you... I need to remember to look at the real thing. Keep up the inspirational stuff
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now