Rate this topic

Dunluce Castle

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I never did watch Downton mainly as Top Gear was on at the same time - but trains/railways were not integral to the plot of even a single episode. There are 'people arriving/leaving on a train' scenes, nothing more http://downtonabbey.wikia.com/wiki/Downton_Railway_Station

Its not like the aforementioned Thomas the Tank engine where the series is about trains

I have to ask, who is the intended target market for such a set?

Good question. I can't see who would've wanted to buy one. I'm not aware of a market for Downton collectibles, and as a show aimed at adults the set was never going to find appeal with children, while it wouldn't float the boat of anyone half-serious about railway modelling.

It's one hell of a marketing blunder.

Edited by Garfield
Typo

Good question. I can't see who would've wanted to buy one. I'm not aware of a market for Downton collectibles, and as a show aimed at adults the set was never going to find appeal with children, while it wouldn't float of the boat of anyone half-serious about railway modelling.

Not to mention that it's aimed at children, the majority of which would have been in bed when the show was on. Really bizarro stuff.

Good question. I can't see who would've wanted to buy one. I'm not aware of a market for Downton collectibles, and as a show aimed at adults the set was never going to find appeal with children, while it wouldn't float the boat of anyone half-serious about railway modelling.

One simple word - America. They love this kind of thing, from Elvis trainsets, to Downton Abbey trainsets, even Operation Iraqi Freedom trainsets....17283440_1_l.jpg

The penny still hasn't dropped, I see.

And do try harder to be civilised.

Its not your capital outlay thats been put on the line here so why the concern. If there is no improvement Hornby could enter administration (again) and that would be unfortunate. They are still the leading brand name for model railways (in the UK/IRL at least) but their loss would be felt. They could begin by improving quality control and delivery times of their products

Its not your capital outlay thats been put on the line here so why the concern. If there is no improvement Hornby could enter administration (again) and that would be unfortunate. They are still the leading brand name for model railways (in the UK/IRL at least) but their loss would be felt...

Yeeeeah, that's not what we're discussing right now, though. We're on that point you made about 'people buying any old rubbish'. As I said, the Downtown set is proof that they don't, and then you pointed to the Bachmann 'Irish Railway' to try and prove that they do, when that set clearly isn't "any old rubbish" but a decent representation of what it says on the box (and useful for serious modellers as well as casual buyers - more than a few of those sets have winged their way east across the Atlantic). The set is an Irish equivalent to, say, Hornby's 'Eastern Valleys Express' or 'Flying Scotsman' sets.

They could begin by improving quality control and delivery times of their products

Because people won't buy any old rubbish, right? ;)

Knocking the Bachmann Irish Railway Set.

Well it was that very 'Set' that rekindled my interest in railway modelling. I purchased a set on eBay around ten or eleven years ago. It met my needs. Running my wee railway reminded me of the CIE stand at the RDS. It reminded me of the hours spent watching model trains in Brown Thomas prior to Christmas. It reminded me of the days I spent at Liffey Junction, Sydney Parade and the RDS sidings at Lansdowne Road. Most of all it provided me with a Ready to Run Railway with a locomotive and coaches that represented my memories of the very early days of CIE.

Thank you Bachmann for that. Thank you for being responsible for my continuing support and interest in modelling.

I have two sizeable railways, Old Blarney and the railway in my home. I have a sizeable collection of stock from; Paddy Murphy, Provincial Wagons, kits from SSM, locomotives built for me by Colm Flanagan, rolling stock from Raymond Kayne for my three Enterprise Sets, and others too, thank you Ray. I supported MIR and other cottage industries both here in the UK and my native Ireland.

Had it not been for that purchase, I may never have come back to Railway Modelling.

That first Model Railway Set, no matter how small, or incorrect to ours, may be the spark that kindles the fire to this hobby!

May I politely suggest, that we, the exhibitors, modellers and commentators, should be cautious of the way we comment on items that are of little interest to us now that we have progressed. Progressed to a standard that we are happy with and want to improve upon.

Please do not, repeat, do not, belittle those who have lesser skills than you. Encourage those that show an interest in further progression.

I often feel we, the custodians of our hobby, are not particularly welcoming to those with lesser knowledge of our hobby. Too often, I have witnessed an unknowledgeable but enthusiastic individual being snubbed by the person he or she addressed at an Exhibition.

Be proud of your knowledge, but also remember, there is always another person with greater knowledge than you, and with superior manners too!

DJW.

Edited by Old Blarney

image.jpeg

this little chap was my first train set. As you can see it is an identical loco to the Downton job. I will never forget how happy I was to get this from Santa. It was a battery set with three wagons and a circle of r605 track. I am still really grateful as my mam would have spent a fair bit and at that stage we didn't have much to spend. I still have it all, although as my model interest grew, I repainted the loco.

I think you re right - these little sets are all the spark that is needed.

Hornby are clearly too big now - too many balls in the air. They should simplify range and focus on train sets for Christmas, some railroad extras, and a top quality small range for the adults.

I could be wrong, but I heard Bachman had bought the factory that made Hornby stock just to close it down - so they've been on the receiving end of the vicious side of business too, perhaps.