Remotoring A Lima Pancake

Rate this topic

roxyguy

I got a few from Modeltorque a few years ago, and noticed no improvement on running ability at all. As far as I know the motor itself is identical to the ones in DVD/CD drives but as Dave rightly says, they're designed for short burst operation, rather than continuous use.

A quick google using the terms "modeltorque dvd drive" should inform further.

Superb!

Dealing with people on a daily basis from the U S and A, yes, that's what they're like. Very nice people, not at all like stereotypes (but then, nor are we), but a very, very different sense of humour to us..... Their sense of humour is simplistic, cautious and conservative for the most part. And greatly tempered with their obsession with the "PC" culture of ensuring you don't offend anyone, no matter how wacko their ideas and sensitivities, before you get out of bed in the morning.....

I have used one branded as Susumotor in my Lima 33. It seems to work well, but didn't improve running. The chassis is still shaky and probably no better than a cleaned up pancake. Give it a go, it's pretty easy to do.

Both my 33s run like insane rockets, they are just useless at slow crawl speeds. Toys designed for the 70s to go roundy roundy at high speed and make little boys faint with excitement.

Rather than use on my irish class 33's. I've bought a cheap 'non runner' BR one for 12quid on the bay. Gonna re-motor with the kit and spray it silver and decal it as a faux - A class, early livery.

Just a cheap, simple little project to match my skill set. Will post some pictures. Thanks for all the feedback.

Rather than use on my irish class 33's. I've bought a cheap 'non runner' BR one for 12quid on the bay. Gonna re-motor with the kit and spray it silver and decal it as a faux - A class, early livery.

Just a cheap, simple little project to match my skill set. Will post some pictures. Thanks for all the feedback.

That's a very neat idea!

Interesting video about getting the most out of a pancake. Long, but interesting. I repeated this process with my class 33 'non runner' and was really surprised by how nicely it ran. I'll still remotor it with the kit though to see how much of an improvement it could make.

• 3 weeks later...

Running with new motor. Runs lovely and smooth at 25% power +, which is probably a bit too quick for a small layout like mine. A lot quieter and less smelly than a pancake. Smooth crawl still not possible. Overall for a ten euro fix I am very pleased.

Running with new motor. Runs lovely and smooth at 25% power +, which is probably a bit too quick for a small layout like mine. A lot quieter and less smelly than a pancake. Smooth crawl still not possible. Overall for a ten euro fix I am very pleased.

Have you got a video