Which locos ran with late cravens?

Rate this question

bs819

Question

25 answers to this question

..... & all the 201 liveries, Orange, Intercity Green, & Enterprise (Grey) 121,141,181 & 071 with the white stripes were the main units as 201's were seeing to be too 'powerful' for them but did work them. Also if the train had more than 5 coaches it was usually 'Double Headed' as a single yank struggled on steep gradients.

..... & all the 201 liveries, Orange, Intercity Green, & Enterprise (Grey) 121,141,181 & 071 with the white stripes were the main units as 201's were seeing to be too 'powerful' for them but did work them. Also if the train had more than 5 coaches it was usually 'Double Headed' as a single yank struggled on steep gradients.

Had a nice run in a rake of cravens with a 201 on the point one Sunday from Galway to Heuston. They made an interesting contrast in eras!

Had a nice run in a rake of cravens with a 201 on the point one Sunday from Galway to Heuston. They made an interesting contrast in eras!

I vaguely remember some sort of urban legend about a 201 with its 3200hp hauling a rake of Cravens accelerating rather enthusiastically and straining some couplings on the cravens such was its power pulling away! True or Myth?

I vaguely remember some sort of urban legend about a 201 with its 3200hp hauling a rake of Cravens accelerating rather enthusiastically and straining some couplings on the cravens such was its power pulling away! True or Myth?

A Voyager came apart in Bristol a couple of days ago, although the reason has not been made clear....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-37839189

Very true, it was NIR's 208 and 209 double headding on an ITG railtour that caused the damage.

• Like 1

Very true, it was NIR's 208 and 209 double headding on an ITG railtour that caused the damage.

Holy Moly 6400hp on tap!!! It's a wonder the Cravens weren't stretched to Mk4 length :) Interesting those 201s have control interfaces for double heading. A pair of those could haul one long goods train.

• Funny 1

I have a rake of the late livery Cravens acquired a few years ago (‘Tippex’) and have just ordered an IRM A Class in Supertrain (CAWS) 027.  I have been searching for on line pics of a CIE supertrain livery A class hauling these later liveried cravens without success.

My research suggests this surely happened about the changeover to IR, 1987 or 1988?. Quite a few pics of 141 and cravens in this configuration, so imagine the A class would be no different, unless there was a mad rush to put the IR points symbol on the As?

Any knowledge appreciated.

The Nenagh Branch trains appear to have been the main 001 plus Craven passenger working in IE days, 001s were regularly used on Intercity diagrams with MK2D stock (Supertrain) on the Heuston-Waterford (early afternoon Heuston-Waterford and return) Connolly-Rosslare intercity trains and occasional CIE Enterprise working during the late 8os early 1990s. 

The Limerick-Ballybrophy was sometimes a 001 Class, Single Craven and BR van.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, johnfromoz said:

I have a rake of the late livery Cravens acquired a few years ago (‘Tippex’) and have just ordered an IRM A Class in Supertrain (CAWS) 027.  I have been searching for on line pics of a CIE supertrain livery A class hauling these later liveried cravens without success.

My research suggests this surely happened about the changeover to IR, 1987 or 1988?. Quite a few pics of 141 and cravens in this configuration, so imagine the A class would be no different, unless there was a mad rush to put the IR points symbol on the As?

Any knowledge appreciated.

You’re looking at early 1990s ideally. The “A”s were on their way out after that and rarely be seen on passenger trains, whereas the “tippex” didn’t appear on Cravens quickly (after 1987)….

• Informative 1

14 minutes ago, johnfromoz said:

Thanks for the info guys. I guess for me then it boils down to the question:   When approximately was the last A class running in Supertrain livery?

Did the A not run in IE/IR livery right up to the early/mid 90s when they were withdrawn? A small few never got the Tippex strips?

so I guess all locos except the two Sulzer variant hauled those late Cravens, mainly 071, baby GM pairs, singles on local services, and occasional 201.

Edited by Noel
  • Informative 1

45 minutes ago, Noel said:

Did the A not run in IE/IR livery right up to the early/mid 90s when they were withdrawn? A small few never got the Tippex strips?

so I guess all locos except the two Sulzer variant hauled those late Cravens, mainly 071, baby GM pairs, singles on local services, and occasional 201.

True Noel.   Hard to pin down their last running in Supertrain  (Broken Wheel) ?  Bit loath to deface my A class with the IR Points symbol.  Otherwise I would have bought 007. I am a CIE modeller at heart! ☺️    John

• Like 3

Without the actual running numbers of the loco and the Cravens making up a particular train, it is never going to be entirely prototypical anyway and this information is lost, so I would just make a reasonably educated guess that it's plausible that CIE supertrain A's hauled Tippex Cravens at some stage in the late 80's.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

In the spirit of nailing down livery info that may be of use to others in the future, I have answered my own question through further digging and research.   A class in CIE roundel Supertrain livery recorded on camera in 1989 (ironically, hauling ‘Tippex’ Intercity Mark 2s).  Tippex livery cravens on film in 1989.  Therefore, 1989 will do for me as having credibility in running these two liveries together.

Thanks to all who contributed.

John

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

On 16/8/2021 at 8:23 AM, johnfromoz said:

In the spirit of nailing down livery info that may be of use to others in the future, I have answered my own question through further digging and research.   A class in CIE roundel Supertrain livery recorded on camera in 1989 (ironically, hauling ‘Tippex’ Intercity Mark 2s).  Tippex livery cravens on film in 1989.  Therefore, 1989 will do for me as having credibility in running these two liveries together.

Thanks to all who contributed.

John

022s in Supertrain hauling a Cravens rake in older thick white band and newer double striped at Farranfore 1989

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152343870@N07/40841553461/in/album-72157719987514018/

027s herself in Supertrain at Killarney 1989 hauling what appears to be a Mk1 GSV and a rake of Cravens(judging by the tumblehome)

027, Killarney, April 1989

I don't know of any A class that did not have the IR logo by 1990 and 027 was in full IR livery by at least early 1991

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1