Galgorm Hall

Rate this topic

PaulC

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Thank you Noel.  A piece of 1mm florist wire was cut and glued at the meeting points of the tiles. Once dried, strips of duct tape (Tommy Walsh branded stuff from Poundland) were cut and laid along the florist wire and then rubbed in to the recesses of the tiles to attempt the effect of lead flashing. Everything was then primed before painting and weathering. Hope that helps. 

Paul

Very effective and resourceful.  The flashing looks superb.

No problem Paul.  I have no idea when the windows being blanked out dates from but I will PM you a name of a local Ballymena railway buff who might be able to help.  It used to be great sitting in the cabin with the tablet exchange bell drowning out the sound of the church bells of St Patrick's as they practised during the evening.  Bliss!

Edited by NIRCLASS80

• 3 weeks later...

Just catching up on the signal cabin Paul, jaw dropping!!!  The windows just set it off perfectly, very BNCR/NCC!  The whole thing is superb, well done sir.  I have a smaller, GNRI, cabin on the workbench at the moment, have some work-related stuff to sort first then I'll hopefully be back to that.  Looking forward to more pics from you!

Hi Patrick, thank you for the very kind comments, have you any photos of your cabin in progress?  If it's more photos you want from this box I should oblige. The windows have now been painted, glazing fitted, the interior installed and the steps constructed ready for painting. 

IMG_0556.JPG.319dce86cb80ccb503e26eef2279d878.JPG

IMG_0557.JPG.58d19e02da83604de352c7560c2aaf15.JPG

IMG_0558.thumb.JPG.bbd795ca869cba8dc359edb78b32203b.JPG

IMG_0559.thumb.JPG.5c0213ef67b01c950a43bdef43ac7706.JPG

IMG_0560.thumb.JPG.794a6f18540a779bfefdcd4ee3fa0596.JPG

IMG_0332.JPG.80e029ebbd2593f4b5a91775079374e9.JPG

IMG_0333.JPG.0b4710b6e7929e126bf4ef901b224eb5.JPG

The steps proved a real headache and whilst not perfect will fit the task in hand.  Once painted and weathered any defects should be further hidden. 

Happy new year to everyone. 

Paul

• Like 1
  • WOW! 1

On 30 December 2017 at 9:55 AM, PaulC said:

Hi Patrick, thank you for the very kind comments, have you any photos of your cabin in progress?  

Hi Paul,

Yes I've been photographing each stage but am on a break at the moment for various reasons.  Most recent ones attached.  Hoping for more progress this month.  Your most recent signal box photos have taken my breath away!!  Happy New Year to you and to all members.

Best wishes,

Patrick

IMG_E0096.jpg

IMG_E0097.jpg

Edited by Patrick Davey
  • WOW! 1

Sorry Paul

I should obviously have said Signal Cabin.Very embarrassed -please excuse my massive error.

My previous comments still stand-replace engine shed with Signal Cabin-it is a lovely model-well done!!

Once again a big sorry 

Happy New Year Paul

• Funny 1

Thanks again for all the positive comments since my last posting, really appreciated. Tonight, I downed tools for the last time on this project having painted the steps, installing the board in the box and fitting two downspouts to either end. 

A curious thing happened the other evening as I popped in to my local model shop checking on my order of track. I got chatting to someone and in the course of conversation we discussed our layouts.  In a passing comment he mentioned the modelling of this signal box as he'd come across it on this very forum and revealed to me he was a former signalman of the actual box. I learnt a few new nuggets of information on the local station and he was also very complimentary on the build.  It was a pleasure to have met him and I hope our paths will cross again Ian. 

Anyway, as said, the box is finished so in an attempt to show it off to its best I've photographed it against a white background to attempt to prove the lighting. 

IMG_3159.thumb.JPG.8daa812cfbc70b5952433ff46d711f51.JPG

IMG_3160.thumb.JPG.1d73f6f7da13dd4fa6cd8cebeb7f3b0a.JPG

IMG_3161.thumb.JPG.cc3c4081284d3624b63347ca0f08d435.JPG

IMG_3162.thumb.JPG.e86b22479388477210429d10b921a3e9.JPG

IMG_3163.thumb.JPG.9ae21f29a2bfac971698126df154a3eb.JPG

Paul

• Like 1
  • WOW! 1

Top class. I love the faded and scruffy look of the green paintwork - exactly as I remember it in Westland Row, Amiens St, Strabane, Lisburn, Great Victoria Street and so on in the early 1960s!

I'll never forget being taken up into signal cabins by jhb171Senior who knew most of the signalmen. There was always a smell of coal smoke from the crackling coal fire, and the teapot simmered on the hearth. The shiny brown lino floors and the bell codes, then the signalman lifts his cloth, wraps it round the levels, and crash! crash! crash! the signals and points are set for whatever's coming. Moments later, smoke drifts past the window as an unidentified, and filthy, steam engine passes underneath.....  good memories...

I think I've told this story before, but on one occasion in Kildare cabin (they were never "boxes" back then!) the usual clatter of bells and levers and "one of the new engines" came roaring through. It was, I think, a 141 straight out of the Murphy Models box, with a long rake of a motley collection of green carriages behind it. The very last, or second last, was black'n'tan.

jhb171Senior:  "Oh! Is that the new carriage livery?"

Signalman (sounding unimpressed): "Yeah...... ye'd think we'd seen the last of the black and tans......"!

Incidentally, if anyone is interested, visits may be arranged to both of the cabins at Downpatrick for photographing, measuring, etc.